a tad drunk

karrie
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaverView Post

My father told me to never mix good spirits with anything but water, he was rabidly against pop in drinks he maintained that it was the cause of ill feelings.

He was a wise man. Soda and spirits is one thing I rarely drink anymore. Wine, beer, caesars, rye in a morning coffee (the perfect camping warm up), scotch, or pressed rye. Really good dark rum is the exception, as a cuba libra is a very tasty drink... but only one. More than that is taking your life into your own hands.

Dexter Sinister
Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter SinisterView Post

Never tried rum straight up...

I have now. Not bad at all, definitely worth trying again. I'll have to try it with a wee bit of water sometime too. Most scotches, except for the blends, which except for Ballantynes are rarely worth taking at all after you've sampled a good single malt, are best taken straight up, but some are improved by a wee bit of water, so I wonder if the same might be true of rums. Hah! A new research project. I think I owe you one Gil. Where can I send that 40 of Appletons?

karrie

I have now. Not bad at all, definitely worth trying again. I'll have to try it with a wee bit of water sometime too. Most scotches, except for the blends, which except for Ballantynes are rarely worth taking at all after you've sampled a good single malt, are best taken straight up, but some are improved by a wee bit of water, so I wonder if the same might be true of rums. Hah! A new research project. I think I owe you one Gil. Where can I send that 40 of Appletons?

A friend once brought me a bottle of rum from one of his trips to Venezuela. WOW. It was dark dark rum. I've never found a bottle like it here. It was SO good all I took with it was a splash of soda and a dash of lime. It went down like honey.

L Gilbert

Never tried rum straight up, but since you're obviously an intelligent person of good taste and refinement I think I will now. I take scotch straight up or with a little water, depending on the brand, and rye usually with coke or ginger ale, though a really well aged rye is worth taking straight up too or with just a splash of water. It never occurred to me to try rum that way. Thanks Gil, a day you don't learn something new is a day wasted.

My pleasure. Slightly chilled with a bit of water sometimes is good. But completely unpolluted most of the time. Of course, everyone experiments till they have a taste particular to them.

L Gilbert

Like I said, my pleasure.

gc
You guys are making me thirsty!

L Gilbert
Another concoction I like is coffee with a bit of Carmichael's Irish Cream and Napoleon Brandy in it. Straight Irish Cream in coffee is a bit sweet for my tastes so I add the Napoleon.
Also, hot chocolate with Peppermint Schnapp's, Creme de Menthe (white is best. The green makes the drink look a bit unappetising). Nice when one has been out skiing and is cold.

Dexter Sinister
Hah! I knew you were brilliant, Gil. I have great confidence in the brewing and distilling trades, based on a liaison begun in early youth, to produce drinks perfect for any and all occasions with a little bit of experimentation and testing. Whatever the occasion, there's a perfect drink for it.

talloola
My husband and I are non drinkers, but in the last year or so, I have gone into the liquor store
to buy a nice wine to have sometime during the evening, as I have heard on many occasions that
it is a nice drink to maintain good health, and now that we are 'h hmm', a little older, we are doing that.
The above posts lead me to believe there are some 'knowledgeable' posters who can help me.
I need some 'names' of nice wines to try, as I don't have a clue. Not too dry please.

Dexter Sinister
Wine? Invest $100 for the basic tools and make your own. You can make better stuff at home for about $2 a bottle than you can buy at a liquor store for $25.

talloola

Wine? Invest $100 for the basic tools and make your own. You can make better stuff at home for about $2 a bottle than you can buy at a liquor store for $25.

We thought of doing that, but just assumed it would 'second' rate product. Thanks for
advice, sounds like fun.

selfactivated
I enjoy a good Merlot. Cabernet is a bit drier but still nice. Im not fond of whites and a nice dessert port is sweet and I like sipping it infront of a fire. Plum wine is very sweet and has to be my favorite treat.

Meads come in many flavors and Im trying them all, all over the world lol but around here they are out of my financial budget, Which is why I dont drink LOL......Its the internet or a bottle.........guess who wins

talloola
Quote: Originally Posted by selfactivatedView Post

I enjoy a good Merlot. Cabernet is a bit drier but still nice. Im not fond of whites and a nice dessert port is sweet and I like sipping it infront of a fire. Plum wine is very sweet and has to be my favorite treat.

Meads come in many flavors and Im trying them all, all over the world lol but around here they are out of my financial budget, Which is why I dont drink LOL......Its the internet or a bottle.........guess who wins

Thanks, I'll make some notes

El Barto
Quote: Originally Posted by talloolaView Post

We thought of doing that, but just assumed it would 'second' rate product. Thanks for
advice, sounds like fun.

I'll vouch for that I do 120 bottle batches at a time.
Am i the only devious thinker here? I know its too late but, no one hounded West and grilled him with questions to make him slip and say things that we could use for later?
I am ashamed of you all........

eh1eh
120 bottles? I hope that lasts all month.
Hey I thought West was off his anti-trolling meds yesterday, I didn't know it was the brewski talking.LOL

El Barto
120 bottles sounds bad but when you add the aging ahhh there's never enough.
No on grilled West. It was time to get to know the real West. Opportunity lost

Curiosity
My drink has always been (before I stopped drinking) Scotch. It is very addictive and when I began Scotch I didn't enjoy anything else - even wine.

Please explain how wine (a liquid) can be dry? I've never had the courage to ask what dry means....

El Barto
Quote: Originally Posted by CuriosityView Post

My drink has always been (before I stopped drinking) Scotch. It is very addictive and when I began Scotch I didn't enjoy anything else - even wine.

Please explain how wine (a liquid) can be dry? I've never had the courage to ask what dry means....

? like a dry martini?

eh1eh
Quote: Originally Posted by CuriosityView Post

I beleive it refers to sugar content. The less sugar in the end product the dryer it is. Dryness is rated on a scale from 0 to 10, 10 being like an ice wine or desert wine and 0 being a dry reisling.

eh1eh
Quote: Originally Posted by El BartoView Post

? like a dry martini?

A dry martini, with none of that sweet vermouth, yuk. I like mine so dry I won't even look at the vermouth when I make it.

Curiosity
ElBarto/eh1eh....OK thanks - I have never liked anything sweet to drink so 'dry' would be a good choice ... learned something new today!

Libra Girl

I have now. Not bad at all, definitely worth trying again. I'll have to try it with a wee bit of water sometime too...

I don't really drink, just occassionally... but rum is indeed very nice on it's own. Sacrilege to mix it with water though. Like brandy, I think it has a smooth taste.

Libra Girl
Quote: Originally Posted by L GilbertView Post

Another concoction I like is coffee with a bit of Carmichael's Irish Cream and Napoleon Brandy in it. Straight Irish Cream in coffee is a bit sweet for my tastes so I add the Napoleon.
Also, hot chocolate with Peppermint Schnapp's, Creme de Menthe (white is best. The green makes the drink look a bit unappetising). Nice when one has been out skiing and is cold.

The French make a confection of various colored chocolate bon bons filled with brandy... very nice.

hermanntrude
Quote: Originally Posted by Libra GirlView Post

The French make a confection of various colored chocolate bon bons filled with brandy... very nice.

I'd prefer a mint-chocolate vodka :0)

Libra Girl
Quote: Originally Posted by hermanntrudeView Post

I'd prefer a mint-chocolate vodka :0)

Vodka... Yuk! lol. Horrible stuff...

hermanntrude
mint chocolate, though.... that's the good part

Libra Girl
Quote: Originally Posted by hermanntrudeView Post

mint chocolate, though.... that's the good part

I'll take your word for it... lol

wallyj
I have been known to drink a bit,sometimes a bit too much. Bartended for 6 years,great job! Bacardi's makes a rum,"Bacardi's Black," that is quite flavorful and reasonably priced. I reccommend it to anyone that would like to drink a rum straight up.

karrie
Quote: Originally Posted by L GilbertView Post

Peppermint Schnapp's, Creme de Menthe (white is best. The green makes the drink look a bit unappetising). Nice when one has been out skiing and is cold.

Coffee with creme de cacao used to be a family camping fave. And, Gilbert, a thermos of mulled red wine is ten times better for warming you up from skiing than hot chocolate, or even mulled apple juice with brandy. Yummy yum yum.

karrie
Quote: Originally Posted by talloolaView Post

My husband and I are non drinkers, but in the last year or so, I have gone into the liquor store
to buy a nice wine to have sometime during the evening, as I have heard on many occasions that
it is a nice drink to maintain good health, and now that we are 'h hmm', a little older, we are doing that.
The above posts lead me to believe there are some 'knowledgeable' posters who can help me.
I need some 'names' of nice wines to try, as I don't have a clue. Not too dry please.

I'm very fond of Jackson Triggs, Cabernet Sauvignon. It's not an expensive bottle ($13 here, probably cheaper down south as you're nearer to the vineyard), and it's not overly dry. It's hard with red wines though, people are much pickier with them, but they're the ones with all the health benefits.

If I were you, I'd stick to BC wines, since they tend to offend my relatives from France by being too 'sweet' and 'fruity'. lol. I love BC wines. Start chatting up the folks at your local liquor store too, sometimes they have great recommendations, and once in a while, they have all the information on the wines stored away, and can give you the rating for how sweet or dry it is.

If you find you're really not enjoying red wines, or you have company coming and don't know what type of wine they like, Gray Monk makes a good rose wine (a 'rotberger' if I recall the label correctly, or a plain rose depending how high end your wine store is) which would still have many of the health benefits, and is a good way to 'learn' to like red. Best of luck.
Last edited by karrie; Apr 16th, 2007 at 11:09 AM..Reason: sheesh, need more coffee