hummingbirds and hummingbird feeders

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
I'm in edmonton, as I know a few of you are. Any tips on finding the critters and designing and/or buying a feeder?

I've found several online but not sure what's good and what's not. I've made some red origami flowers as well to act as an enticement

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Herman there is only one type of feeder that reliably gets humingbirds to feed and that is the simple liquid feeder like Toningtons picture. They come in several different shapes but they are all the same feeder. You can buy the liquid food but it is just sugar and water....[SIZE=-1]Mix 4 parts water to 1 part table sugar[/SIZE]

http://www.backyardbird.ca/page/page/2169933.htm

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
thanks for the link Juan. I had found some but they were more expensive than that. I've made some red flowers to add to the display, thought I might tie some red ribbons to the railings too. i read somewhere that someone did that and it worked for them

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
thanks for the link Juan. I had found some but they were more expensive than that. I've made some red flowers to add to the display, thought I might tie some red ribbons to the railings too. i read somewhere that someone did that and it worked for them

They are definitely attracted to the colour red. If you have a bit of red around it will help and if the birds are around they will come to your feeder. Once they find your feeder they seem to put your feeder on their schedule and they arrive at about the same time every day

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Oh wow Juan, those are some awesome looking feeders... I love the little window one, it's exactly what Hermann needs, IMO.

And Hermann, Lee Valley must have quit selling the cheap little bottle adapter I was going to suggest. I can't find the darn thing anywhere. It would have been ideal, since it's not a large investment. Ah well. You'll find something I'm sure.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
I'm in edmonton, as I know a few of you are. Any tips on finding the critters and designing and/or buying a feeder?

I've found several online but not sure what's good and what's not. I've made some red origami flowers as well to act as an enticement
Bright flowers (origami should work too). Lack of cats. Um, don't use processed sugar in your feeders, try demerara sugar or unpasteurised/homogenised honey.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Bright flowers (origami should work too). Lack of cats. Um, don't use processed sugar in your feeders, try demerara sugar or unpasteurised/homogenised honey.

Most of the books on the subject recommend plain white sugar. It is also the simplest for mixing. You use boiling water to kill any bacteria. The feeder could stay out for three or four days. If it starts to ferment, I'm told the yeast will kill the birds. One thing we have to realise is that Brown sugar or demerara sugar is just white sugar and molasses.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Most of the books on the subject recommend plain white sugar. It is also the simplest for mixing. You use boiling water to kill any bacteria. The feeder could stay out for three or four days. If it starts to ferment, I'm told the yeast will kill the birds. One thing we have to realise is that Brown sugar or demerara sugar is just white sugar and molasses.
Yup, and white sugar doesn't have the added goodies that demerara does and isn't natural, so what? My birds prefer honey in water, but they still go for the demerara avidly.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Here is an article by Penny Elliston, a licensed hummingbird rehabilitator, about the dangers of relying too heavily on commercial mixes.
Please, do not put honey, Jell-O, brown sugar, fruit, or red food coloring in your feeder! Honey ferments rapidly when diluted with water and can kill hummingbirds. The effects of red dye have not been not scientifically tested, and it is not necessary to color the water to attract birds to your feeder. Further, there are unverified reports that red dye can cause tumors in hummingbirds; this may or may not be true, but why take the chance?

Here's the recipe for artificial nectar (syrup):

• Use one part ordinary white cane sugar to four parts water.
  • It's not necessary to boil the water. The microorganisms that cause fermentation don't come from the water; they are transported to the feeder on hummingbird bills.
  • Store unused syrup in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
This mixture approximates the average sucrose content (about 21%) of the flowers favored by North American hummingbirds, without being so sweet it attracts too many insects.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Well, I guess my birds have very strong guardian angels or something. Perhaps they're like cats and have multiple lives. I don't fill my feeders and change the fluid (if there's any left) at 2 days. Anyway, they aren't keeling over and dying everywhere. About the insects, I have a trap for them away but not too far away from the feeders, in those traps is the really sweet stuff that bugs like and it keeps the bugs away from the feeders. Easily made from 2 liter pop bottles.

Toro

Senate Member
I'm in edmonton, as I know a few of you are.

And let me offer you all my humblest apologies!

Any tips on finding the critters and designing and/or buying a feeder?

Just stand outside wearing a red jacket. Eventually, they'll come up to you and try to eat your jacket, thinking you're a big, giant bird feeder. No kidding, I used to see this at the lake in Saskatchewan. They're not very bright.