No respect for bicycles...

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
OK, so one of my pet peeves is the treatment of cyclists on the roads. The town I live in is small, I can get around just fine on a bicycle. Even if I lived in a city I would use my bicycle, in fact it might even be safer in some cities.

Since I've moved here to go to school, I've been yelled at, honked at, and a few times very nearly hurt badly by inconsiderate drivers. I can ride through town in many areas and travel at the speed limit. I do zip up the side of streets where there is room to pass the cars backed up at traffic lights and so far I've managed to avoid any vehicles who neglect the use of signal lights, if I end up hurt in that case, it's my own fault anyways.

I know many cities have bike lanes, though some vehicles just end up parking in them or driving through them to get to the intersections. My town is too small to justify dedicated bike lanes.

Perhaps what bothers me most is some motorists I've talked to wish that I as a cyclist would use the sidewalks. This to me is even more dangerous. As I said, I zip along pretty fast. One day I couldn't find my helmet and was running late. So I went to school without, and on my way home, I nearly ran over a cop coming out from one of the barber shops on the main street. I got off with a warning, but since then I've kept to the road, and always with my helmet.

Why some people feel they can bully a cyclist on the road is beyond me. Perhaps they feel safe inside their tanks. I've actually been swore at before when a fella ran a red light and nearly knocked me over, the nerve. A little more respect would be great, I can't speak for other cities/towns, but this town is by far the worst I've ever experienced.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
When people are protected by a couple thousand pounds of steel and rubber they don't feel the need to be considerate of pedestrians or cyclists.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
Honestly, Tonington I think you're better off than you think. In the UK it is illegal to cycle on the sidewalks, punishable by a fine of up to GBP1500 (for careless cycling). Almost nobody uses their indicator lights and the most common form of intersection seems to be the roundabout, at which even those who DO use their indicators don't know how, despite the fact that the guidelines are very clear. The roads are narrow so if you zip along the side you will be crushed or have a door slammed in your face from someone who parked.

There is a national "network" of cycle paths which is just hilarious. most of them don't go anywhere useful and in fact some of them go nowhere at all. many of them are extremely short and people usually park in them anyway.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Motorists are under the illusion that they are the prime reason there are roads and hence own the roads. They don't. Roads are publicly owned and everyone is part of the public.
There are a few cyclists who take stupid liberties and these give a bad impression of all cyclists. This is the reason I consider each cyclist as an individual and treat them according to the way they earn respect. Idiots get treated as if they are idiots, the rest are accorded all the courtesies. In BC it is illegal in most communities to ride on sidewalks. Critters get off and walk ther bikes down the sidewalks (presumably).
Um, I think some of these people (pedestrians included) don't seem to recognise that vehicles are not very manouverable. They take a long time to stop as opposed to bikes and people on feet.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
What ticks me off is cyclists who ride on the sidewalk, on the wrong side of the road, ride in between lines of cars stopped at a light, etc etc, and then demand to be treated with respect by motorists.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Most cyclists here simply ignore the rules motorists are obliged to observe. So they're not respected. Few stop at red lights or stop signs, few signal. I guess they think they're special. And so they get a bad name.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Everyone should respect cyclists but cyclists should also adhere to the Rules of the Road. On one hand you are bashing motorists but also saying you have skirted the law as well. What makes you any different than them?

I have seen cyclists zip in and out of cars not only stopped at red lights but slow moving traffic.

Both motorists and cyclists should respect the Rules of the Road AND each other.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Most cyclists here simply ignore the rules motorists are obliged to observe. So they're not respected. Few stop at red lights or stop signs, few signal. I guess they think they're special. And so they get a bad name.

All the same can be said for Most motorists.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
It's illegal here as well to ride on the sidewalk. I only did so becuase I know how bad the roads are here, and I figured I'd take my chances that day on the sidewalk rather than on the road, and as I said, it was a one-time excursion without my helmet. I prefer my skull intact...

Here is a good film showing the differences in some major cities around the world as pertaining to bicycle routes. I guess to me there is alot people take for granted about driving. There are numerous activities we can be involved with while driving a motor vehicle, cell phones, talking to occupants, eating, drinking, even reading. All of these distract from what is going on around you.

Here are some fellas who definitely deserve whatever they get. Crazy mofos, like the bicycle courier type...

EDIT: and I do use hand signals.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
All the same can be said for Most motorists.

I don't think I would be so agreeable to say that most motorists do not follow the Rules of the Road. I think most of us do.

Honestly though... how many times have you seen a cyclist stop at a red light?

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
amsterdam is the place for cycling. although crossing the road is rather difficult. some roads have a bicycle lane, followed by a tramway then a road with a bus lane in the middle, then a tramway, then a bicycle lane.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
It's illegal here as well to ride on the sidewalk. I only did so becuase I know how bad the roads are here, and I figured I'd take my chances that day on the sidewalk rather than on the road, and as I said, it was a one-time excursion without my helmet. I prefer my skull intact...

Here is a good film showing the differences in some major cities around the world as pertaining to bicycle routes. I guess to me there is alot people take for granted about driving. There are numerous activities we can be involved with while driving a motor vehicle, cell phones, talking to occupants, eating, drinking, even reading. All of these distract from what is going on around you.

Here are some fellas who definitely deserve whatever they get. Crazy mofos, like the bicycle courier type...

EDIT: and I do use hand signals.

Hey I am with you on the sidewalk rule. Cyclist belong on the road and not sidewalks because they would be taking out pedestrians left and right.

I agree again with all of the self imposed distractions that motorists do as you pointed out. However a cyclist coming zipping up the blind side of cars taking a turn have to bear some responsibility as well.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I don't think I would be so agreeable to say that most motorists do not follow the Rules of the Road. I think most of us do.

Honestly though... how many times have you seen a cyclist stop at a red light?

In Toronto, if you are cyclist and fail to stop at a red light, chances are you will become one with the pavement. I have seen cyclist couriers take stupid chances with traffic, but they aren't exactly the recreational cyclist. Then, I see the motorists who like to plow through an advanced green after it has passed, endangering people trying to walk/cycle across the street. Or motorists who pay no attention making their right hand turns, forcing people crossing the street to jump out of the way. These sort of things I see all the time in Toronto.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I've heard good things about Amsterdam, I've heard Vancouver isn't too bad either.

There's motor vehicles and bicycles out there who don't follow the rules of the road. I'm not saying one is any better than the other.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I agree again with all of the self imposed distractions that motorists do as you pointed out. However a cyclist coming zipping up the blind side of cars taking a turn have to bear some responsibility as well.

Totally. Most of the roads here are one lane traffic, except for some of the main streets. So for the most part I stay in the middle of the lane, and use the same rule for stopping distance. Tailgating is a good way to end up going through a window...

My bike can stop pretty quick. I have disk brakes, I love them. A little dangerous on steep hills and in wet weather though. Too much braking can cause the brakes to seize and wet weather can be the equivalent of a cut brake line...

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
In Toronto, if you are cyclist and fail to stop at a red light, chances are you will become one with the pavement. I have seen cyclist couriers take stupid chances with traffic, but they aren't exactly the recreational cyclist. Then, I see the motorists who like to plow through an advanced green after it has passed, endangering people trying to walk/cycle across the street. Or motorists who pay no attention making their right hand turns, forcing people crossing the street to jump out of the way. These sort of things I see all the time in Toronto.

Oh yes... we all have our lousy motorist stories too.

Nothing gets me more than someone trying to make that green light and flooring it, or getting cut off, or zipping through a stop sign, not stopping for pedestrians in a Pedestrian Crosswalk.

I have to cross a busy street on foot each day to my office and at the end of the day. A lot (not most) just ignore it. What I LOVE to do when I get fed up is to take a faux GIANT step out into the Crosswalk and watch (and listen :lol: ) those brakes SCREEEECH to a halt! I find a sense of joy out of that.

Again all motorists and cyclists should respect each other and the law.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
Both motorists and cyclists should respect the Rules of the Road AND each other.

Amen to that!

I used to ride to work in Toronto occasionally, but it got too scary. The bike lanes were often used for motorists to park, which meant I had to ride around their cars into traffic or take my chances on the sidewalk. Plus, cabbies there are absolutely insane and you have to deal with streetcars which let their riders out on the inside lanes... It got to the point that I would only ride to work at off hours or on weekends. Riding in at 530 am was really nice though:)

Now I live in the land of cars so it isn't an issue.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I have to cross a busy street on foot each day to my office and at the end of the day. A lot (not most) just ignore it. What I LOVE to do when I get fed up is to take a faux GIANT step out into the Crosswalk and watch (and listen :lol: ) those brakes SCREEEECH to a halt! I find a sense of joy out of that.

Makes the morning go all the better at the office, doesn't it? :cool:

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Makes the morning go all the better at the office, doesn't it? :cool:

I laughed at that. It sure does... for real. I always sit at my desk with a grin after doing that and I have done it many times over the years.

The best way to describe the GIANT step I take is comparing it to the Beatles Album cover for Abbey Road. Pretending that I am not even looking.

Oh I am laughing just thinking about it.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Sometimes you can tell when a motorist is frantically trying to get somewhere and is being stupid while being frantic. Try getting halfway across the crosswalk, then look as if you forgot something and go back a step. Then check pockets and do another about face. :D