Why do we obsess on the British royalty?

View Poll Results: Lady Di's death was
intentional 1 16.67%
accidential 5 83.33%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

westmanguy
Seriously, I don't know why but I have been obsessed with the royal family for as long as I can remember. And I am a Canadian.

My biggest obsession related to this was Lady Di. That had to be the most watched television event in the world when they had her funeral.

And then all those documentaries on CBC and NBC about her life. Lets just say I think Camilla and Charles are f'ers.

This summer on Canada day, they are having a "Concert for Diana" (in Canada on CTV), and its expected to have half a billion viewers! July 1st is her birthday or is it her anniversary of death no sure.

So anyways answer the slightly related poll, and tell me why we obsess on the royal family!

Oh, BTW I believe her death was intentional, it wasn't an accident IMO... she was having an affair and Prince Charles was having the affair with Camilla..

tamarin
Who's Diana? I think the royals are great. I don't follow them. I just like the connection. In a country obsessed with obliviousness, it's something the history-minded appreciate.

gopher
I don't of anyone who is obsessed with British royalty or could even name anyone in their clan.

s243a
Well Diana was supposedly a great person.

westmanguy
Well Diana had some ethic problems.

Having affairs and what not.. well as a Canadian in the monarch I was always interested in the Brits...

gopher
... she probably was a good person -- she certainly was charitable.

I think not
Well for starters, they're Canadian Royalty that happen to live in Britain.

tamarin
Canada owes a lot to its British heritage and I like the royal connection. Those opposed generally don't have much Canadian history in their noggins. Time they started to read.

westmanguy
Remember when Diana fainted in Vancouver?

tamarin
I never liked Diana. And then she began to hang around with that international freeloader, Dodi. Where was her self-respect?

talloola
I am proud of the royal family, the tradition, the long history, and, being such a young country, it is
nice to have that history connected to us as well.
My grandfather was a loyal Englishman, so I feel proud to carry on his tradition, he was born in London, and as a veteran of wars, he was given 'freedom of city of London'.
He loved the monarchy.

Daz_Hockey
Quote: Originally Posted by I think notView Post

Well for starters, they're Canadian Royalty that happen to live in Britain.

ITN has a point.

csanopal
Quote: Originally Posted by tamarinView Post

I never liked Diana. And then she began to hang around with that international freeloader, Dodi. Where was her self-respect?

Funny, I liked her at first, but as the years went on and she began to use the press to whine about her terrible life(yeah-right--give me a break-so hard to be married to the future King and have more money than God) is when I lost respect for her. Take away the royal stuff, and it was just plain nasty to be dishing your in-laws and telling the world their private business.In a word, the woman was a tramp.