Who are you?

Dexter Sinister
I think Curiosity got it completely right with this one:
Quote: Originally Posted by CuriosityView Post

I believe more people reveal their true selves on a forum such as this than they do in their personal lives except perhaps to those close to them such as family and friends.

In some ways it's easier to be more open about what you really think in a forum like this, because of its anonymity. I readily reveal myself as an atheist here, for instance, a fact about me which in real life is known only to my wife and children and a few close friends. I don't often feel like dealing with the arguments and the sanctimonious attempts to save me that that usually generates in real life. Here I can choose who I want to deal with on that, and ignore people I don't want to deal with, which I can't do if I'm standing in their kitchen. I'm also a pretty hard-nosed skeptic about all things paranormal and supernatural, but I don't talk about that much in real life either, for the same reasons. In real life I've endured too much scorn and pity and attempts at conversion on those subjects from people who don't know how to have a reasoned conversation. Here I can weigh my words, marshall my arguments, and take time for cautious reconsideration of what I want to say and who I want to say it to. Real life rarely provides that. That's one of the reasons I come here.

And I'd also add that I suspect that people who are offensive, rude, intolerant, and assorted other negative things, in a forum like this, are likely to be repulsive hypocrites in real life, lacking the courage to show their true selves to anyone in real life because they know the social cost is ostracism. I don't want to know them here, and I don't want to know them in real life.

As Dave Barry said, a person who is nice to you but rude to the waitress is not a nice person. In a sense, the true measure of people's worth is how they behave when there are no real consequences to them from their behaviour.

Vereya
I am practically the same person in real life, I have the same convictions, and beliefs, and I practice what I actually practice what I preach, the thing I like most about myself. There is just one exception - in real life I am much nicer, than on forums I argue less, and I am less aggressive. People actually like me, can you believe it?

to Temperance - thanks for the link! I am Liza Simpson, nice to meet you!

Dexter Sinister
Quote: Originally Posted by VereyaView Post

People actually like me, can you believe it? !

YES.

talloola
This forum has allowed me to talk to someone other than my husband and other family, as I keep so
much to myself, don't seek out any friendships, and can go for days and days without talking to anyone else. I was a little nervous when I came on this forum, didn't know how to start, didn't know
what to say, made lots of mistakes, was too reactive, still have lots to learn.
It just feels safe here, in my cozy livingroom, with my dog/cat.
I like store people, chat with them lots, that's safe too, a minute or two, then 'gone'.
Never visit neighbours, they are the worst ones to get chummy with, then, how to you get rid of them. A few words over the fence, show them I am a nice person, then, 'gone.'
This forum allows me to be a person other than a wife/molther/gramma. There is lots going on in
my head that I suppose I should let out once in a while. Sorry!!!!
I know I just had a post a little ways back, but this is a new day, with new thoughts.

Dexter Sinister
Quote: Originally Posted by talloolaView Post

There is lots going on in my head that I suppose I should let out once in a while. Sorry!!!!.

Sorry for what? You're one of the brighter lights here. Don't ever doubt that.

talloola
Don't you ever disappear, you are needed around here. I depend on your posts to put a very
balanced and intelligent perspective on many different subjects, and as a fellow atheist, I
agree with you concerning 'not' striking up conversations, or joining any, concerning religion,
as religious people, in general, don't think we get it, and seem to pity us, and the red neck atheist is very embarrassing to be with, but on this forum I have learned that I can discuss, in a friendly
and understanding way, my position, even with Sanctus, and have realized that he is very open and
very human.

RomSpaceKnight
And who I am going to rely on for Canuck posts?

RomSpaceKnight
Actually I am very much the same person. The anonymity of the WWW does help being a tad more open though.

talloola
Quote: Originally Posted by RomSpaceKnightView Post

And who I am going to rely on for Canuck posts?

You will find a canuck post promptly after game tomorrow night, hope i'm not whining and sniffling

karrie
hmmmmmm..... am I the same person in real life as I am on the net? No, definitely not. I'm testier. What I say isn't as well thought out. There's no delete button in real life for ignorant hurtful words. There's no pause before I hit 'send', on some comment that serves no real purpose other than to let people know they've annoyed me. I TRY to be who I am on here. I try very hard. But, it's a different environment, and much like any social setting, we adapt a bit.

hermanntrude
Quote: Originally Posted by karrieView Post

hmmmmmm..... am I the same person in real life as I am on the net? No, definitely not. I'm testier. What I say isn't as well thought out. There's no delete button in real life for ignorant hurtful words. There's no pause before I hit 'send', on some comment that serves no real purpose other than to let people know they've annoyed me. I TRY to be who I am on here. I try very hard. But, it's a different environment, and much like any social setting, we adapt a bit.

note to self

karrie
Quote: Originally Posted by hermanntrudeView Post

note to self

"turn down dinner invite to karrie's house"

Dexter Sinister

"turn down dinner invite to karrie's house"

I would never do that. I think that would be a most interesting evening. Just be sure your husband's at home for it, I'll bring my dear wife and a few bottles of Chateau Sinister's 2006 vintages, and we'll have a fine time.

Too bad you're so far away...

karrie
Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter SinisterView Post

I would never do that. I think that would be a most interesting evening. Just be sure your husband's at home for it, I'll bring my dear wife and a few bottles of Chateau Sinister's 2006 vintages, and we'll have a fine time.

Too bad you're so far away...

anyone with wine is welcome indeed! and travellers from great distances get the discount rate on the guest room. lol.

smilingfish
I'm a little bit shy in the real world. Don't have that problem anymore in forums.

El Barto

I know who you are Karrie , just that I try to coax her out. I know she's dying to get out.

(knock knock)
Can Karrie come out and play?

karrie
Quote: Originally Posted by El BartoView Post

I know who you are Karrie , just that I try to coax her out. I know she's dying to get out.

(knock knock)
Can Karrie come out and play?

You're just never going to give up are you? lol.

MikeyDB
I'm exactly the same person in life as I am in these threads. I have little to no patience for stupidity and avoid politicians entirely. I chastise people for hypocrisy and point out to those who choose to ignore reality that whether they "believe" in something or not...that believing...in the absence of verifiable fact has legitimized everything from religious oppression to the myth of honesty in politics and media.... Choosing to believe the incredible and putting one's faith in people whom we know through experience lie to us and steal from us is the mark of rampant stupidity...nothing less....

mabudon
I'm pretty much the same too- tho in "real life" I am MUCH more stubborn, much louder and I talk a LOT faster than I can type....

I show the same poor judgement at times both on and off-line but you DO learn a lot from mistakes

I have to agree with Tonington too- I am MUCH more "chivalrous" in many respects in real life than I am online- I tend to not give people any sort of "benefit" out here in cyberspace, so I am quicker to call asshats exectly what they are regardless of anything- I can keep my mouth shut a bit better out there in meatspace

MikeyDB
Mabudon

Do you think that the philosophy of "political correctness" that Canadians love to have wash over them..that prevents them from standing up for their rights...that inculcates a sense of entitlement...that is evidence the people are willing to have their life dicatated by those few with enough chutzpah to stand up and say what they mean ...doesn't have the same facility on the WWW that a red-neck-beer-belching-moron on a bus or in a supermarket doesn't have at their disposal to moderate their ignorance?

mabudon
MikeyDB- could you elaborate (or I guess simplify) what your point was??

I think I understand but I'm not sure exactly- maybe an example?? I DO want to answer you

MikeyDB
Mabudon

It's fair in my opinion that those who don't smoke tobacco products should'nt have to breathe in the smoke from those who do.... That we in Ontario have to have laws passed that establish penalties for smoking in restaurants and on public transit..Ontarians don't seem to have any sense of responsibility to anyone else...sooooo laws are needed that exact penalties. However a similar right to have a quiet environment in a shopping mall or restaurant ..without some out-of-control...squalling brat ....isn't anyone's right...the parents of children who've failed to teach their children appropriate behavior then insist on taking them into restaurants need to be told....I didn't pay to sit and have my dinner enjoyment interrupted by your noisy offspring....

In Canada we bend over backwards to make sure that children are afforded carte-blanche when it comes to their behavior....we don't tell parents that they're expected to manage their children..

Just as an example...

mabudon
Right- gotcha- I do believe that too many folks are too happy to have their rights dictataed to them, and are too quick to jump on new ideas as somehow being "irrelevant" simply because they don't already exist in our "system" (for lack of a better word)

My big gripe is not being an automobile driver, I have to put up with everyone else's choice to drive the damn things. I have kicked a BUNCH of cars that damn near hit me- it usually leads to a confrontation, but in the end I do think it wakes people up- and from time to time I find myself doing the intellectual equivalent on forums like this

hermanntrude
Quote: Originally Posted by mabudonView Post

. I have kicked a BUNCH of cars that damn near hit me-

I have a friend who was knocked off his bicycle by a car who jumped a red light. He got up (bruised but mostly unhurt, unlike his twisted bicycle), and picked up the wreckage and threw it at the cars windsheild.

Overreaction but you can kind of understand his feelings

MikeyDB
Hey Herm how's it goin..

On those days when I can use my cane to get around I've been cut off walking across a light controlled intersection by drivers who don't seem to feel that they need to pay attention to the signals or yield the right of way to pedestrians...

If anyone knocked me down at an intersection and I can get back up...their attitude that my well-being and my right to walk with the light is less important than their right to get to where they're going...even if that means breaking laws and bumping an old cripple out of the way....

My reaction would be to send the handiest missle there way before they got out of range...

They're prepared to ignore my rights and my well being and you think its an over-reaction to defend yourself?

El Barto

You're just never going to give up are you? lol.

Like a dog on a bone honey

hermanntrude
Quote: Originally Posted by MikeyDBView Post

Hey Herm how's it goin..

On those days when I can use my cane to get around I've been cut off walking across a light controlled intersection by drivers who don't seem to feel that they need to pay attention to the signals or yield the right of way to pedestrians...

If anyone knocked me down at an intersection and I can get back up...their attitude that my well-being and my right to walk with the light is less important than their right to get to where they're going...even if that means breaking laws and bumping an old cripple out of the way....

My reaction would be to send the handiest missle there way before they got out of range...

They're prepared to ignore my rights and my well being and you think its an over-reaction to defend yourself?

you know my views on violence. Obviously it's terrible that drivers have such an awful attitude to pedestrians (although that seems to be a british thing.... here in edmonton people keep stopping to let me cross when i'm just standing next to the road), it makes me angry but i'm not one to lash out when angry.

unclepercy
Quote: Originally Posted by ToroView Post

Yes, in real life, I'm exactly like my Internet personae.

I'm perfect.

Now, Toro, you know we agreed that I was more perfect than you!

Uncle Percy

unclepercy
Quote: Originally Posted by MikeyDBView Post

Mabudon

Ontarians don't seem to have any sense of responsibility to anyone else...sooooo laws are needed that exact penalties. However a similar right to have a quiet environment in a shopping mall or restaurant ..without some out-of-control...squalling brat ....isn't anyone's right...the parents of children who've failed to teach their children appropriate behavior then insist on taking them into restaurants need to be told....I didn't pay to sit and have my dinner enjoyment interrupted by your noisy offspring....

In Canada we bend over backwards to make sure that children are afforded carte-blanche when it comes to their behavior....we don't tell parents that they're expected to manage their children..

Just as an example...

I have been reading that here in the states, diners are requesting not only a smoke-free environment, but also a child-free one too. I have heard a gentleman say this outloud in a restaurant. I spent 45 minutes at Chile's trying to eat my dinner while a newborn was being held 6 inches from my ear - screaming! Keep those kids at home until they can behave in public! I pay to eat at a nice restaurant, enjoy a rare night out with my husband, and it's bedlam in most restaurants. Stay home with the little ones! Or get a baby-sitter. I did.

Did you know that we actually have child-free shopping areas? I told my daughter that they did not permit children in the wholesale district; so we left my granddaughter at home with her aunt. Sure enough, above every door was a sign "NO CHILDREN."

Uncle

karrie
we have these neat things in Canada, called lounges.

no new posts