Should the western provinces seperate from the rest of the country?

Toro
Are you saying that the Maritimes had cars, life-saving medicines and 300-channel remote control HDTV in 1866?

westmanguy
So, I would like the west to stand up.

Not necessarily seperate, but we have to be heard.

Alberta + BC = More than Quebec

Treat us like you treat Quebec, or stop treating Quebec so well

I believe it would be a domino effect.

When Quebec seperates, the rest of the country will go into instability and will begin to collapse, and the west will make the motions to seperate, and so goes the break up.

We are one of the historic nations that has never been content with our map.

Does the USA have states wanting to seperate? On a major scale? No.

Tonington
The Maritimes had a better standard of living when we were still making ships like crazy. My hometown of Yarmouth was the second largest port in the world. There's quite a few old houses that were built by the shipping owners and captains of the day that still stand. Marvelous architecture.

westmanguy
Canada must and will fall apart.

The question is:

Who first?

And when the seperations of provinces occurs, what unions? and will their be applicants for statehood?

Tonington
Why must we? Seems it would be better if we worked out our issues, rather than break the country apart. It's not like we're the USSR or some such entity.

westmanguy
We have been at this for years, I mean I think everyone knows their is going to be a major shakeup in "Canada" within the next 50 years.

Plain and simple, a huge amount of people are not content with Canada the way it is.

folcar
Treat us like you treat Quebec, or stop treating Quebec so well

Quebec has far stronger representation in Federal Politics than the rest of the Country, More policitcal Party Leaders have come from Quebec than any other Region, They have a provincial Party strongly represented in the Federal caucus. And they scare the hell out of all the other feds. None of us east west or Ontario will get representation equal to Quebecs without reform to the system as a whole. Ontario fares better because we have the population, but against Quebec we are always second.

When Quebec seperates, the rest of the country will go into instability and will begin to collapse, and the west will make the motions to seperate, and so goes the break up.

True, it will all be over quick as well.

folcar
We have been at this for years, I mean I think everyone knows their is going to be a major shakeup in "Canada" within the next 50 years.

Plain and simple, a huge amount of people are not content with Canada the way it is.

Agreed!

Why must we? Seems it would be better if we worked out our issues, rather than break the country apart. It's not like we're the USSR or some such entity.
I would rather see the country stay whole as well, but the shake up is needed, the existing status quo is not a binding and enriching relationship. The dissent is only festering at this point, but it wouldn't take much to get it boiling in a couple of regions across the country.

And when the seperations of provinces occurs, what unions? and will their be applicants for statehood?

I could actually see the U.S. approaching the individual provinces and patitioning them to join, but even without that i suspect the chances of it happening are good.

hermanntrude
what's the phrase? there's a phrase which applies here that suggests that when people have what they want they find things they can bitch and moan about. something about breeding discontent. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If it IS broke, don't just take it apart for scrap, MEND it!

folcar
what's the phrase? there's a phrase which applies here that suggests that when people have what they want they find things they can bitch and moan about. something about breeding discontent. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If it IS broke, don't just take it apart for scrap, MEND it!

Actually i would say that is the one right that truly comes with democracy, the ability to biatch about anything and everything, openely without fear of reprisal. And that is the one right that should be fought for the most aggressively, freedom of speech. Most of us don't want to scrap the country, rather i think we'd like to undue the damage done by politicians with there heads in the sand. And make it a heck of alot harder for the damage done to ever be repeated again.