how high are you?

hermanntrude
I looked up my geographical position on the weather network's website. Turns out edmonton is at 2200ft above sea level... it seems quite high to me.

what's your elevation?

who is the highest?

EDIT:

you can find out by going to the weather network (external - login to view). Or google earth will tell you too. #Juan used a different link as well, a few posts down.
Last edited by hermanntrude; Mar 30th, 2007 at 12:58 AM..

gc
When I read the topic of this thread I was thinking it was about something completely different...

hermanntrude
Quote: Originally Posted by gcView Post

When I read the topic of this thread I was thinking it was about something completely different...

hahaha as intended :0)

still I'd be interested to know

gc
Quote: Originally Posted by hermanntrudeView Post

hahaha as intended :0)

still I'd be interested to know

Well, I'm in Vancouver, if I climb down some stairs (300 stairs) to wreck beach I'm at sea level. So, how high is 300 steps? That's about how high I am.

gc
According to This (external - login to view) it's only 7 feet! But I guess that depends on where you are. Maybe we should have a contest for who is the lowest!

hermanntrude
do we have anyone from the netherlands? large parts are below sea level

#juan
Where we live in Nanaimo we might be a couple hundred feet above sea level. Being on the inside of the island we should be safe from most tsunamis, but not from our provincial government.

smilingfish
About the netherlands...really? And there's never been a flood there? When I was in my hometown( Wuhan, a large city in the middle of China, on Yangtze River), once there was a big flood. And the news said people were actually catching fish on the roads or at their own homes(fish from those fish pounds in the suburbs) . I saw a guy catch a freaking big one in his living room on TV! It didn't kill people in our city as far as I know, but it did kill many people and sweep away homes in other areas especially those countryside areas.

My home was quite near to the Yangtze River(only one block away from the bank) and seemed much lower but it didn't flood my home.

Yeah, I know, I'm off the topic.

hermanntrude
the dutch have been reclaiming land for centuries.There are towns there that used to be sea-ports but are now miles inland. I assume there have been floods but it's nothing compared to what will happen if sea levels rise in the near future....

hermanntrude
i'm really surprised at how high edmonton is. It's 4 times higher than anywhere i've lived before. I suppose it IS right slap bang in the middle of a giant continent, though

gc

the dutch have been reclaiming land for centuries.There are towns there that used to be sea-ports but are now miles inland. I assume there have been floods but it's nothing compared to what will happen if sea levels rise in the near future....

I didn't even think about that. If I was living in the Netherlands I'd be pretty paranoid about global warming. Link (external - login to view)

apparently that is what the windmills are for.

Tonington
Yah, the Dutch know a thing or two about dykes.

Here we're 90 feet above sea level, on a floodplain...

Curiosity
Bah

I thought I'd peek into a
doobie conversation....
Last edited by Curiosity; Mar 30th, 2007 at 07:18 AM..

Curiosity
Back to topic: I am 700-1000 feet (213-304 meters) above sea level

hermanntrude
so far i'm twice as high as anyone else

TekJansen
I'm at 1850 ft, but my family's cabin is at 3100ft or so.

...and today is my one day off.....I won't mention my own 'mental elevation at this point, which reminds me: I needs me some bruffust...buckwheat pancakes or somethin...:rolley es:

Kreskin
We're officially 106 meters above sea level, although our city is right on the east coast of Vancouver Island. Our house probably 400-450 ft. Possible waterfront in a few hundred years.

hermanntrude
can anyone beat 2200 ft or will i just have to look down upon you all?

Zan

can anyone beat 2200 ft or will i just have to look down upon you all?

ahem. maybe not beat ya, but I can at least match ya!

but hey... wait a sec... I think the north side of the river is actually higher than the south side...

hermanntrude
we should probably disqualify mods, though. On the basis of fairness, and me winning.

darkbeaver
I'm at 685 ft, and that's on a very old worn out mountain.

Zan
hrmph. oh alright Hermann. I'll withdraw. I've already won something this week.

Notice ya didn't mention that when our other low-lander mods joined in though... double hrmph...

hermanntrude
lol i'm just pretending to be overcompetitive for the sake of fun. it's not like there's even a prize

#juan
There must be somebody here from Calgary.

www.ucalgary.ca/~dmuench/calgary.html (external - login to view)

hermanntrude
i've seen people's info say calgary, it's true. It didnt cross my mind but it seems obvious now that it'd be higher up.

Zan

lol i'm just pretending to be overcompetitive for the sake of fun. it's not like there's even a prize

what? no prize?

........triple hrmph!!!

hermanntrude
not many prizes can be awarded via the internet. And no i'm not sending u any money :P

selfactivated
Quote:

The Mean Elevation of the state of Virginia is 950 feet above sea level.

Where Im at is 190 feet.

Tonington
If I smoke two doobs I can be flying higher than yall. Why two you might ask? Better to fly on two wings than one

Curiosity
Tonington....Hahaha See I knew there would be someone getting altitude on!!!