how high are you?

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
I looked up my geographical position on the weather network's website. Turns out edmonton is at 2200ft above sea level... it seems quite high to me.

what's your elevation?

who is the highest?

EDIT:

you can find out by going to the weather network. Or google earth will tell you too. #Juan used a different link as well, a few posts down.

Last edited:

gc

Electoral Member
May 9, 2006
When I read the topic of this thread I was thinking it was about something completely different...:lol:

gc

Electoral Member
May 9, 2006
hahaha as intended :0)

still I'd be interested to know

Well, I'm in Vancouver, if I climb down some stairs (300 stairs) to wreck beach I'm at sea level. So, how high is 300 steps? That's about how high I am.

gc

Electoral Member
May 9, 2006
According to This it's only 7 feet! But I guess that depends on where you are. Maybe we should have a contest for who is the lowest!

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Where we live in Nanaimo we might be a couple hundred feet above sea level. Being on the inside of the island we should be safe from most tsunamis, but not from our provincial government.:roll:;-)

smilingfish

Just a tiny fish
Dec 13, 2006
About the netherlands...really? And there's never been a flood there? When I was in my hometown( Wuhan, a large city in the middle of China, on Yangtze River), once there was a big flood. And the news said people were actually catching fish on the roads or at their own homes8O(fish from those fish pounds in the suburbs) . I saw a guy catch a freaking big one in his living room on TV! It didn't kill people in our city as far as I know, but it did kill many people and sweep away homes in other areas especially those countryside areas.

My home was quite near to the Yangtze River(only one block away from the bank) and seemed much lower but it didn't flood my home.

Yeah, I know, I'm off the topic.;-)

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
the dutch have been reclaiming land for centuries.There are towns there that used to be sea-ports but are now miles inland. I assume there have been floods but it's nothing compared to what will happen if sea levels rise in the near future....

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
i'm really surprised at how high edmonton is. It's 4 times higher than anywhere i've lived before. I suppose it IS right slap bang in the middle of a giant continent, though

gc

Electoral Member
May 9, 2006
the dutch have been reclaiming land for centuries.There are towns there that used to be sea-ports but are now miles inland. I assume there have been floods but it's nothing compared to what will happen if sea levels rise in the near future....

I didn't even think about that. If I was living in the Netherlands I'd be pretty paranoid about global warming. Link

apparently that is what the windmills are for.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Yah, the Dutch know a thing or two about dykes.

Here we're 90 feet above sea level, on a floodplain...

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Bah

I thought I'd peek into a
doobie conversation....

Last edited:

TekJansen

Nominee Member
Mar 24, 2007
Western NC, USA
I'm at 1850 ft, but my family's cabin is at 3100ft or so.

...and today is my one day off.....I won't mention my own 'mental elevation at this point, which reminds me: I needs me some bruffust...buckwheat pancakes or somethin...:rr::sleepy3::happy6::laughing5::rolleyes:

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
We're officially 106 meters above sea level, although our city is right on the east coast of Vancouver Island. Our house probably 400-450 ft. Possible waterfront in a few hundred years. ;-)