Second Choice Nation: After Canada, you would live in?

hermanntrude
But it's not america! It can't be any good!

tracy
Quote: Originally Posted by snfu73View Post

Personally, I think it would be fascinating to live in ANY country. I think every country has pros and cons, and all countries are worth seeing, if not living in.

I was an exchange student when I was 18 and lived in the Czech Republic for a year. It was such an enriching experience. I wish everyone could live someplace foreign, even if only for a little while. It certainly gave me a new perspective on some things.

tracy
Quote: Originally Posted by hermanntrudeView Post

But it's not america! It can't be any good!

Goof!

westmanguy
Yeah its OK to see these places.

But Live in North Korea? Iran? Syria? Jordan? Israel

LIVE?

snfu73
Quote: Originally Posted by westmanguyView Post

LIVE?

Why not?

tracy

LIVE?

For a short time, yes... not the rest of my life or anything. If I had the chance to live in Iran, Syria, Jordan or Israel for 6 months or a year I'd take it, just for the experience alone. I don't think North Korea would appeal to me mind you.

westmanguy
These places are rogue governments, dictatorships, and constant violence

Not a place any sane person would CHOOSE to live in,

tracy

These places are rogue governments, dictatorships, and constant violence

Not a place any sane person would CHOOSE to live in,

Israel and Jordan don't have rogue governments, aren't dictatorships and saying they are in constant violence is a complete exaggeration. I'm probably just as likely (if not more likely) to get killed here. We had an 18 month old admitted to our local hospital last night with a gunshot wound to the face. She was in the car with her mom and got caught in some crossfire. I can't even guess at how many shootings and murders happened in the LA area that didn't make the news yesterday, yet I live a very nice life here. Watching news reports about any area will always make it seem like they are in constant violence. It's why my parents were so nervous when I moved here. Then they came down and realized that their view was a little skewed.

Even Iran and Syria with their crazy governments aren't involved in any wars at the moment. Perhaps the only benefit of a dictatorship is the crime rates tend to be kept pretty low since they punish offenders so aggressively.

Niflmir
Quote: Originally Posted by tracyView Post

Israel and Jordan don't have rogue governments, aren't dictatorships and saying they are in constant violence is a complete exaggeration. I'm probably just as likely (if not more likely) to get killed here. We had an 18 month old admitted to our local hospital last night with a gunshot wound to the face. She was in the car with her mom and got caught in some crossfire. I can't even guess at how many shootings and murders happened in the LA area that didn't make the news yesterday, yet I live a very nice life here. Watching news reports about any area will always make it seem like they are in constant violence. It's why my parents were so nervous when I moved here. Then they came down and realized that their view was a little skewed.

Even Iran and Syria with their crazy governments aren't involved in any wars at the moment. Perhaps the only benefit of a dictatorship is the crime rates tend to be kept pretty low since they punish offenders so aggressively.

I commend your rejection of the "democracy is better, without question" assumption.

It seems to me that I picked Germany a long time ago. That's where I am living today! Germany is nice. One interesting thing about it here, I don't speak German yet and most people don't seem to be offended by that. Yet, in the USA and to a lesser extent Canada, people can become sorely offended at a tourist or foreign resident that doesn't speak English good.

I don't like the pretentiousness of the American academy. Nor do I like their "number of publications" as a measurement of academic success. Also, (and indeed for most fields in physics) there are better schools in Germany.

ottawabill
geez, the reaction too all this is as lame and useles as referendum debate in Quebec.

1st, why is it to be a good Canadian you must be anti American? As well why is it that if you like the U.S. you must be a bad Canadian?

My second choose..and yes SECOND CHOICE in countries is the U.S. however not all of the U.S. the same as there are areas of Canada I do not wish to live in.

I live in Eastern Ontario, and find very little difference between the towns on my side of the St. LAwernce River to the Upstate New York towns. Too the point of having to see which flag is flying to be sure. On the other end I do not wish to live in Texas, nor do i wish to live in Sask. (no offence) but personally the life style is further from mine in the mid west then it is in Odgensburg N.Y.

As well all I here is complete stereotypes. The crime, the racisim.... If you good to Toronto or Montreal its full of guns, crime and racist activities, Hell Nova Scotia has some pretty severe racial problems, but thats not what we want to here..we must be better than they or whats the sence in our being... My God what if Hillary wins the president's chair and puts in national health care..then how will we define ourselves..

It's rediculous!!! We are a great nation, we have our peoblems, we have our fantastic good points and qualities, but our self concience ways are our downfall....You never here Austrailians say they are great because Britain is not!

Some of you may want to spend some time across the border and just talk to the people before you form all these opionions based on what G.W. Bush says. He doesn't speak for all any more then Harper speaks for all the Liberal Canadians. Go see, go listen, then form your thoughts...

Curiosity
Thanks OttawaBill

I came back here to write a similar post - although it falls on deaf eyes and hearts no matter how often I repeat it...

If anything constant comparisons belittle Canadians and their nation serves them poorly as a proud people.

Much ado about very little.

ottawabill
Quote: Originally Posted by CuriosityView Post

Thanks OttawaBill

I came back here to write a similar post - although it falls on deaf eyes and hearts no matter how often I repeat it...

If anything constant comparisons belittle Canadians and their nation serves them poorly as a proud people.

Much ado about very little.

Yep!! Somehow if "We" Canadains, can just prove that as much as we don't have the money, we are smarter, of a higher breed, and right compared to the U.S. then we have our rightful world place. If we turn away from the U.S. then it seems we turn towards Britain, honestly a country we have less in common with outside of a history. We know all the U.S. movies, stars, sports events, we all like Florida and 9times out of 10 have a really good time omn the U.S. side, but then we slip back into the if we like them we will be them, and if we are to be them then why are we here..

Most Canadians don't know that more Americans hate G.W. Bush then there are Canadians....Many don't like the gun rules (not like we don't have a huge gun problem in our cities too) and as much as many of their citizens fall through the cracks in healthcare..so do we!!! with our deadly wait times...

The U.S. is not perfected Godly paridise, nor are we..

MikeyDB
Quebec...

Long before the United States of Coercion and Intimidation.....

Curiosity
OttawaBill

Canadians seem so dissatisfied with the wealth and potential they have within their own nation - I just don't 'get' this navel gazing to the south or elsewhere.

The best forward move Canada can make is to become more independent of the U.S. in matters of trade, develop its own natural resources to its own advantage, get some genuinely 'Canadian' products to manufacture and distribute on a global basis.... and use what is offered in the way of defense and
trade (until they can phase it down) with the U.S.

Take advantage of the friendship instead of regularly slapping away at a nation who is going to move along with or without Canadian friendship.....but at the present time it would behoove Canadians to play a bit of smart poker....instead of dart throwing.
Last edited by Curiosity; Mar 27th, 2007 at 09:22 AM..

tracy
Quote: Originally Posted by NiflmirView Post

I commend your rejection of the "democracy is better, without question" assumption.

It seems to me that I picked Germany a long time ago. That's where I am living today! Germany is nice. One interesting thing about it here, I don't speak German yet and most people don't seem to be offended by that. Yet, in the USA and to a lesser extent Canada, people can become sorely offended at a tourist or foreign resident that doesn't speak English good.

I don't like the pretentiousness of the American academy. Nor do I like their "number of publications" as a measurement of academic success. Also, (and indeed for most fields in physics) there are better schools in Germany.

I actually do think democracy is always better . That's why I live in one, but obviously not everyone thinks like I do. I'm just saying I could live in another type of system for a short time and think it would be interesting.

I visited Germany over a dozen times when I was in the Czech Rep. It is definitely a beautiful place and people were very nice to me even though I didn't speak German. They did have an attitude about the Czech Rep which always offended me a little, but I got over it. They seemed so perplexed that I would have wanted to live in the Czech Republic and not their country (cause Germany is so OBVIOUSLY better...). I've since realized most people feel like that. Most Canadians think Canada is the best place to live, the Brits would pick the UK, Aussies would pick Australia, etc. It's normal. It's the reason the Rotary Club exchange motto was "not better, not worse, just different". They know everyone thinks their country is better than the others and that expressing that view is the fastest way to alienate your hosts.

That year in the Czech Rep made me a lot more sympathetic in the language matter. I was still barely able to carry a conversation by the time I left and my grammar was atrocious! I do think people should make an effort to learn the language of their chosen country for their own benefit. Things happen and sometimes we can't accomodate those who don't speak English very well, so it's in their best interest to learn. I have had Spanish only speaking parents call for an update on their baby's health condition at 2am. We don't have interpreters on at that hour and no one in the unit spoke Spanish that night. How am I supposed to explain that the baby was extubated, placed on CPAP, we've decreased the amount of vasopressors he's on and his blood gas was acceptable? The best I could do with my limited Spanish was to say "Baby is good. Call in morning. Spanish here in morning". I can't imagine how scary it would be to have a loved one sick in the hospital and not understand what people were saying.

tracy
Quote: Originally Posted by ottawabillView Post

My God what if Hillary wins the president's chair and puts in national health care..then how will we define ourselves...

This actually made me giggle! I don't think you have to rag on the US to be a good Canadian, just like you don't have to rag on every other country to be a good American.

I don't think for a second national health care will be here any time soon though. Americans and Canadians are similar in more ways than they are different, but this isn't one of them so we Canadians won't have to come up with a new way to define ourselves for a while

snowles
I have no problem with the US; I think if I had to live in the States though, for some reason I am always drawn to the 'blue' states. Upstate New York, Washington, Vermont and the Eastern seaboard have all been partcularly nice for me to visit.

Whether I agree with much of US politics aside, I have to say - they know how small town life should be. It's so quaint, without being barren and desolate. The other thing I will say is that they know how to celebrate their nationality (which is likely a sore spot with the rest of the world). The fairs, the parades, the flags all over the place; the people take pride in their country and their communities, and it's a trait that is often lacking in many of the places I have lived/visited in my life as a Canadian. And having now driven across most of the US, their Interstates destroy our highways in terms of quality and quantity; there are sections of the TransCanada that are nothing short of being shamefully poor.

If I had to choose though, I would live in Northern Minnesota, as it is particularly tranquil and peaceful, and is quite similar geographically (and politically left) like northwestern Ontario. Plus there's this pie place just outside of Duluth that would just knock your socks off.

snowles
If I had to live anywhere though other than Canada, I'd probably buy a hot spring in Iceland or Sweden, and spend my days oggling the drop-dead gorgeous and sweet-as-can-be women there (though I'm sure my wife would have slightly different plans).

But when it comes down to it, I'm proud to be a Canadian, and it would take something absolutely paramount for me to even consider ever leaving this wonderful, beautiful, free country that we all have the privilege to enjoy on a daily basis. Despite our minor differences, we really are a lucky people.

MHz
Republic of Alberta

Nuggler
Quote: Originally Posted by I think notView Post

North Korea.

Sure ya would. Too funny.

If I ever had/have to take it on the lam and leave me home country, Southern Spain sounds good for the weather, and Scotland/Ireland fer music, good whiskey, warm sweaters, and beautiful red-haired women who bathe and shave their legs, as in Canada.

A lot of the rest of the EU is PU.........

But, I don't wanna leave, actually.

There, I managed to insult a few thousand people. Great start to the week.

Ugg

ottawabill
Quote: Originally Posted by tracyView Post

This actually made me giggle! I don't think you have to rag on the US to be a good Canadian, just like you don't have to rag on every other country to be a good American.

I don't think for a second national health care will be here any time soon though. Americans and Canadians are similar in more ways than they are different, but this isn't one of them so we Canadians won't have to come up with a new way to define ourselves for a while

hahaha!! No I don't expect the U.S. to go to a national healthcare, for so many reasons, but I used it as an example of the trivial nature as to our differences. It's all one degree of seperation at best.

If Canadians could act more like, say Mike Myers, we'd be much further ahead. A man who went to the U.S. to make his money and never hide the fact that he was Canadian, never thought less of himself, never expected anyone in the U.S. to expect less of him.

We U.S. and Canada have been excellent friends for generations, have our family fights, and don't like when Uncle Frank gets drunk at dinner and hits on the cousins but we are still family. It's not in anyones interests to force dysfuntional attitudes between us...Do remember, most American's don't want a war in Iraq either..The only difference is that they in general support thier boys way more than we do...again 1 degree...1 degree

I think not

The U.S. is not perfected Godly paridise

Yes we are, Fox News says so.

eh1eh
Quote: Originally Posted by snowlesView Post

If I had to live anywhere though other than Canada, I'd probably buy a hot spring in Iceland or Sweden, and spend my days oggling the drop-dead gorgeous and sweet-as-can-be women there (though I'm sure my wife would have slightly different plans).

But when it comes down to it, I'm proud to be a Canadian, and it would take something absolutely paramount for me to even consider ever leaving this wonderful, beautiful, free country that we all have the privilege to enjoy on a daily basis. Despite our minor differences, we really are a lucky people.

I'm gonna play O'Canada and read this one again. Welled up a little already, the anthem will probably have me shedding a tear. No sarcasm intended.

snfu73
Quote: Originally Posted by eh1ehView Post

I'm gonna play O'Canada and read this one again. Welled up a little already, the anthem will probably have me shedding a tear. No sarcasm intended.

French or English version?

eh1eh
Quote: Originally Posted by snfu73View Post

French or English version?

Je ne parle pas Francais.

snfu73
Quote: Originally Posted by eh1ehView Post

Je ne parle pas Francais.

Me too! I do non know da francais berry well.

MHz
Quote: Originally Posted by mapleleafgirlView Post

you couldnt pay me enough to live in the states. id choose probably australia or new zealand.

You said it sis. The US of A is a sewer. America right NOW is the same as the last days of the Roman Empire, the Otterman Empire, the British Empire and the French Empire

Me, I'm looking forward to the rise of the Chinese Empire.

CDNBear
Quote: Originally Posted by s243aView Post

You do realize you are paraphrasing a famous American speech?

Your point?

Yeah thats what I thought

"GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH"

American.

lol, i think it was a mistake on CDNBear's part.

No it wasn't.

geez, the reaction too all this is as lame and useles as referendum debate in Quebec.

1st, why is it to be a good Canadian you must be anti American? As well why is it that if you like the U.S. you must be a bad Canadian?

My second choose..and yes SECOND CHOICE in countries is the U.S. however not all of the U.S. the same as there are areas of Canada I do not wish to live in.

I live in Eastern Ontario, and find very little difference between the towns on my side of the St. LAwernce River to the Upstate New York towns. Too the point of having to see which flag is flying to be sure. On the other end I do not wish to live in Texas, nor do i wish to live in Sask. (no offence) but personally the life style is further from mine in the mid west then it is in Odgensburg N.Y.

As well all I here is complete stereotypes. The crime, the racisim.... If you good to Toronto or Montreal its full of guns, crime and racist activities, Hell Nova Scotia has some pretty severe racial problems, but thats not what we want to here..we must be better than they or whats the sence in our being... My God what if Hillary wins the president's chair and puts in national health care..then how will we define ourselves..

It's rediculous!!! We are a great nation, we have our peoblems, we have our fantastic good points and qualities, but our self concience ways are our downfall....You never here Austrailians say they are great because Britain is not!

Some of you may want to spend some time across the border and just talk to the people before you form all these opionions based on what G.W. Bush says. He doesn't speak for all any more then Harper speaks for all the Liberal Canadians. Go see, go listen, then form your thoughts...

I hope you didn't confuse my rant for anti Americanism, OB???

DurkaDurka
Quote: Originally Posted by MHzView Post

Me, I'm looking forward to the rise of the Chinese Empire.

Get a head start and move there now. Find your self a nice career in a sweat job... I hear they pay well.

ChilliCheeseDog
Quote: Originally Posted by DurkaDurkaView Post

Get a head start and move there now. Find your self a nice career in a sweat job... I hear they pay well.

[sarcasm START] Right, because America is so ****ing great.[sarcasm END]
Like all empires, there's a begining and an end,
I'm glad to be fortunate to see the end of America.
I don't give a **** about the empire that come after China.

P.S. I don't give a **** of what empire come after China because you, I and everybody we know will be dead !!!