Teen who wants to wear anti-gay T-shirt takes battle to court

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
BY LISA FEDOROWICZ
A Neuqua Valley High senior has gone to federal court seeking the right to wear an anti-gay T-shirt to school next month on the day after a national event in support of gays is scheduled in schools.
Heidi Zamecnik, 17, is asking the court to order her school and Indian Prairie District 204 to allow her to express her anti-gay beliefs on April 19, the day after the 11th annual "Day of Silence'' is scheduled to protest harassment of gays in schools.
According to the Web site www.dayofsilence.org,students and teachers across the country plan to observe the day in silence "to echo'' the silence that gay students face all the time.
The lawsuit filed Wednesday on behalf of Heidi and an NVHS freshman did not state what written message they planned to wear on T-shirts.

'Day of Silence'
Heidi's father, Carl Zamecnik, declined to comment Wednesday night on behalf of his family, and he referred calls to an attorney. Because of her family's "sincerely held religious beliefs" against homosexuality, "they wish to share their conviction that true happiness cannot be found through homosexual behavior," the suit says.
During her first two years of high school, the Naperville resident did not outwardly object to the "Day of Silence," in which students wear pro-gay messages on T-shirts. But in her junior year, Heidi wore a T-shirt the day after a "Day of Silence." It read in part, "BE HAPPY, NOT GAY."
That day, April 26, 2006, Dean of Students Bryan Wells told Heidi to remove the shirt or leave because her message offended others, according to the suit. When she refused, her mother was called.

'Be Happy. Be Straight'
Linda Zamecnik and Wells agreed Wells could alter the shirt's message to read "Be Happy. Be Straight." But the suit says the agreement was broken when a school counselor crossed out "NOT GAY" in black marker but nothing replaced it.
The suit says Linda Zamecnik discussed the issue with the principal and superintendent and was told that staff had done nothing wrong.
The suit says Heidi suffered unlawful discrimination, humiliation and punishment by school personnel merely because they didn't agree with her viewpoint.
Sun-Times News Group

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
I'm tired of gay issues. Why don't they all just take a break for a year? I'm surprised this Day of Silence is allowed in for observation. Schools are being co-opted by special interests.

Graeme

Electoral Member
Jun 5, 2006
I'm tired of gay issues. Why don't they all just take a break for a year? I'm surprised this Day of Silence is allowed in for observation. Schools are being co-opted by special interests.

You're right, to allow the school sponsored show of support is just as discriminating as the T-Shirt. The fact is there are people who take great offence to homosexuality and would feel uncomfertable during the day described.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
this wouldnt even be an issue if it was an anti-black t-shirt or a sexist shirt, it would never even have gone on sale or been made or whatever

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
Now there is my true belief, FREEDOM OF SPEECH.

Something we don't have in this policed state of Canada

I'd say canada is the free-est of the four english speaking countries I have visited. If you think this is a police state i'd suggest you've probably never been anywhere else.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Canada has been called a police state from many quarters and is an acknowledged cheerleader in the spread of political correctness. A movement that most consider a spent force. Shame on the country for standing common sense on its head!

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
Where the hell do people get this concept that Canada is about freedom of speech?

Its about good governance. Too much Yankee TV makes people think their laws are our laws, I've seen judges do it..mind boggling.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
Part of human rights would seem to be the right to speak without fear of reprisal.

Or would you say it would be right to force gays not to speak about being gay. They could hold their own lifestyle..but if they let their views that being Gay is ok known..they should be silenced?

You don't have to like what others say, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be allowed to say it.

snfu73

disturber of the peace
Part of human rights would seem to be the right to speak without fear of reprisal.

Or would you say it would be right to force gays not to speak about being gay. They could hold their own lifestyle..but if they let their views that being Gay is ok known..they should be silenced?

You don't have to like what others say, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be allowed to say it.
I think it's one thing to say "Hi, I'm gay" and another one to wear something that bashes someone else. I mean, if the same student showed up at school with a "Catholics suck" shirt, or a "Muslims are Terrorists" shirt, or "Blacks are bad" shirt....what would happen? And what SHOULD happen? It's pretty provocative...it's mean spirited...and it's disruptive in a school atmosphere.

But, you raise good points...freedom of speech. It's hard. It's good to preserve freedom of speech...but at what cost? Could what this person had on her shirt be considered hate speech? If it is, which it does stray towards, I would argue that it may have gone too far, and should be subject to the laws of the land. But, indeed, it is complicated. Where does free speech end...and protection for others begin?

s243a

Council Member
Mar 9, 2007
Calgary

Since when is that a human right? If someone started running down the street saying pedophiles should have the right to be child care workers don’t you think there would be reprisal. Wouldn’t you expect it? There is a saying. It is, "with freedom comes responsibility".

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
snfu:

I know your have strong beliefs on this subject, but you need to back away from the issue at hand

This is an issue of a school allowing all demonstrations or no demonstrations at all.

This Silence Day and the girl who want to wear the anti-gay t-shirt are both demonstrations.

The school is a public funded organization and has to be objective and unbiased:

So, in my opinion, they let both the gay group do Silence Day and the girl wear her t-shirt, or they allow neither.

This is the only correct way to go in my opinion.

I disagree with the girl, you can be happy and gay, and she is being mean spirited, I do however believe any sex out of marriage is sinful, and I believe its not up for Christians and Catholics to judge sins.

I'll say it: she is not an exaple of a good Christian. Christians don't judge sins, they leave that to God.

Thats the problem with religion, if all us Christians and Catholics could put our urge to judge away and all realize as Christians/Catholics its not our place to judge.. it would be alot better world for us and others.

I am still hoping we can agree on something snfu!

I hope my opinion on the school allows both or neither and what the girl is doing is not Christian can be agreed upon by you!

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
snfu:

I know your have strong beliefs on this subject, but you need to back away from the issue at hand

This is an issue of a school allowing all demonstrations or no demonstrations at all.

This Silence Day and the girl who want to wear the anti-gay t-shirt are both demonstrations.

The school is a public funded organization and has to be objective and unbiased:

So, in my opinion, they let both the gay group do Silence Day and the girl wear her t-shirt, or they allow neither.

This is the only correct way to go in my opinion.

I disagree with the girl, you can be happy and gay, and she is being mean spirited, I do however believe any sex out of marriage is sinful, and I believe its not up for Christians and Catholics to judge sins.

I'll say it: she is not an exaple of a good Christian. Christians don't judge sins, they leave that to God.

Thats the problem with religion, if all us Christians and Catholics could put our urge to judge away and all realize as Christians/Catholics its not our place to judge.. it would be alot better world for us and others.

I am still hoping we can agree on something snfu!

I hope my opinion on the school allows both or neither and what the girl is doing is not Christian can be agreed upon by you!

You have a point actually. Maybe the silence day should have been an outside-of-school thing as well.

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
In schools you can't stop a gay individual from being themselves.

But unless the school condones ALL demonstrations and political protests through whatever means (in this example lack of speach and clothing) gays shouldn't be screaming in the hallway "Gay Rights! Gay Rights" unless others can protest their views too, because then a publically funded organizations is favoring one view over another.

And your right hermann this should all be done out of school...