Teen who wants to wear anti-gay T-shirt takes battle to court

Zzarchov
Quote: Originally Posted by snfu73View Post

Well, I can't say you haven't brought of a good point. However, my issue is how to combat bullying and mistreatment of gay and lesbian students in schools. I think it is a real problem...a real issue...and I think this case presents that to us. But, indeed, you have raised a point. The only way to completely avoid a confrontation of this sort is to leave the whole thing out of the school system. But then, how do young people get the message that bullying and name calling and violence and whatever other nasty stuff towards students who are having trouble with their sexual identity can be very destructive?

Isn't focusing on Gay/Lesbian bullying a bad thing? Focus on bullying period. Its like being bullied for being gay is more deserving of attention than being bullied for being the wrong skin colour.

Kids of that age bully people for any reason. If you make them stop bullying people for being gay, they will pick something else to pick on people for. Your not solving a problem, your play a shell game.

Fix the problem itself.

tamarin
Some folks here have got to open their eyes. Gays have obviously embraced an activist agenda in our society. Some factions are trying to radicalize youth. They've certainly done a number on young girls and women, many of whom now think it's important they experiment with gender roles in sexuality. It's on tv, it's on the streets, it's at summer festivals. Open expressions of lesbian love. Fine, if you're a lesbian. But if you're just doing it to be cool, and prove how inclusive and tolerant you are you have to have marbles in your head. And for those gay activists trying to sneak various lifestyle alternative books onto reading schedules for primary students, you need to get a life.
Don't expect tolerance to allow you to do anything you like. Our clueless government should be stepping up to the plate and viewing exactly what is going on with gay segments actively wanting access to young people and civic agendas.

tamarin
Herman, someone should have taught you how to fight. I'm verbal but I also know in some situations a good swat on the head will get me further than an articulate argument.

Zzarchov
what? young women are experimenting in droves? Oh for fudges sake! Why didn't I wait to get married! Nooooooooooo!

tamarin
Yes, Zzarchov, the Globe had a great article last year on the phenomenon in colleges and universities where many young women reported they felt pressured to engage in same-sex sexual relationships to some degree. There has not been anything like that in the young male community. Either because we're stick-in-the-muds when challenged about our gender specifics or because we happen to think sexuality isn't just another experiment.

Tonington
I don't really have a problem with this, on both sides. What good is free speech if the one person who disagrees with the crowd isn't allowed to have their say? Free speech has allowable limits, and for good reason.

Conversely I have no problem with schools allowing for this kind of day. School is where we learn to socialize. Schools in the past have been involved in acceptance, inter-racial schools, gender, and now sexual diversity. It's not like heterosexuals are being targeted by bullies for the simple reason that they are heterosexual.

It goes beyond just punishing the bully. It comes around full circle when the bullies friends pick up where the bully left off. Don't any of you remember how tattlers are treated?

hermanntrude
Quote: Originally Posted by tamarinView Post

Herman, someone should have taught you how to fight. I'm verbal but I also know in some situations a good swat on the head will get me further than an articulate argument.

I've come out of every fight i've been part of since 1994 as the winner. Even though I did get beat up once or twice.

tamarin
I come from pre-rat culture. I am befuddled by today's youth that insists their peers accept being victimized, used, abused and degraded rather than "tattle." It's hardly a liberal notion. And one that not only guarantees such abuse will persist but also guarantees their shame about it in the years ahead.

hermanntrude
Quote: Originally Posted by ToningtonView Post

Don't any of you remember how tattlers are treated?

i remember. I'll never forget

tamarin
Herman, good! Any father who doesn't teach his son how to fight - and, concomitantly, how to hold his temper - is doing a crappy job as a parent.

tamarin
Hey, that one should raise some hackles!

darkbeaver
A good father is required to teach his sons how to drink and fight and something else I can't remember math maybe or fishing, please and thankyou and you're welcome. A little bit of carpentry wouldn't hurt either.

hermanntrude

Herman, good! Any father who doesn't teach his son how to fight - and, concomitantly, how to hold his temper - is doing a crappy job as a parent.

When I said the winner I didnt mean the guy who smashed the most teeth.

s243a

Yes, Zzarchov, the Globe had a great article last year on the phenomenon in colleges and universities where many young women reported they felt pressured to engage in same-sex sexual relationships to some degree. There has not been anything like that in the young male community. Either because we're stick-in-the-muds when challenged about our gender specifics or because we happen to think sexuality isn't just another experiment.

They all want to be like Madonna or Alana Moreset. Experimentation is a funny concept. It can either give a person answers or help them continue on a downward spiral. A lot of men that decide they are gay later in life experiment with woman first. For those people it seems to work.

tamarin
S2, you were smart to mention the celebrity culture connection. I don't think it's sexist to state young women and women in general seem to be more influenced by it than men. I'd like to see a breakdown in the readership of such flagship mags like US and People and other key mags in that loop. I would think women easily predominate.

westmanguy
Don't hurt me

But I think our media promotes homosexuality/bisexuality, and makes kids wonder.

I am not gay, but with the constant media attention on its hard not to consider what is done in gay sex.

Celberties are a huge factor too:

Noticed the new trend in Hollywood? They aren't marrying until gays get the right to marry...

hermanntrude
Quote: Originally Posted by westmanguyView Post

Don't hurt me

But I think our media promotes homosexuality/bisexuality, and makes kids wonder.

I am not gay, but with the constant media attention on its hard not to consider what is done in gay sex.

Celberties are a huge factor too:

Noticed the new trend in Hollywood? They aren't marrying until gays get the right to marry...

there's nothing wrong with wondering. It's part of a decent scientific thought-pattern.

and there's nothing wrong with experimentation either. Either they like it, which suggests they have bi or gay feelings or they dont, and they get to join the holy masses of contemptuous bigots who go to heaven.

westmanguy
If homosexuality was NORMAL, 2 men and 2 woman could reproduce.

They can't

Hetrosexuals is the only normal partnership, and all people who died having gay sex and never repented will suffer greatly after death.

s243a
Quote: Originally Posted by hermanntrudeView Post

there's nothing wrong with wondering. It's part of a decent scientific thought-pattern.

and there's nothing wrong with experimentation either. Either they like it, which suggests they have bi or gay feelings or they dont, and they get to join the holy masses of contemptuous bigots who go to heaven.

People are complex though. If someone walks away from such an experience and says now I am clear on my sexuality then great. However, what if they just walk away and think, "I feel dirty now".

hermanntrude
then they won't do it again, and the net result will be knowledge

s243a

They can't

Hetrosexuals is the only normal partnership, and all people who died having gay sex and never repented will suffer greatly after death.

Maybe in the future they will be able to. What does normal have to do with it anyway? Are sterile people going to burn in hell?

s243a

then they won't do it again, and the net result will be knowledge

But what if ignorance is bliss?

hermanntrude
Quote: Originally Posted by s243aView Post

Maybe in the future they will be able to. What does normal have to do with it anyway? Are sterile people going to burn in hell?

homosexuality has even been noted in animals other than humans. Although animals are only there to serve us, isnt that right west? I wonder... hmmm.... maybe that's what dead deer are for....

tracy

They can't

A lot of heterosexual couples can't reproduce. That doesn't make their relationships wrong or abnormal.

#juan
tamarin (external - login to view)

You're certainly right that gays get a lot of press for what? less than 2 percent of the population?
Quote:

Science magazine, July 3, 1992, reports a very recent French study that found only 4.1% of men and 2.6% of women said they'd had homosexual intercourse at least once in their lives. Only 1.1% of men and 0.3% of women said they'd had homosexual intercourse in the past 12 months (as reported in "Homosexual figures grossly exaggerated," AFA Journal, September, 1992, pg. 9).

I'm not homophobic. I was just surprised the percentage was so low.

s243a
Quote: Originally Posted by #juanView Post

tamarin (external - login to view)

You're certainly right that gays get a lot of press for what? less than 2 percent of the population?

I'm not homophobic. I was just surprised the percentage was so low.

I don't know if that number is right. It sure seems that it is more then 2%.

hermanntrude
seems about right. one in fifty people. how many people do u know and how many are gay?

s243a

seems about right. one in fifty people. how many people do u know and how many are gay?

Well from my highschool I know of three people that came out. That doesn't mean there arn't more though.

westmanguy
6 666 666 is 2% of 300 million people

is about 6.5 million right for the amount of gays in the USA?

hermanntrude
not sure if it was a US report. The quote mentioned france