Knut - the Polar Bear Cub at the Berlin Zoo

Curiosity
Say Hi to Knut - the Polar Bear Cub at the Berlin Zoo

www.nzherald.co.nz/section/2/...ectid=10430625 (external - login to view)

Media scrum as Knut the polar bear goes public

9:00AM Saturday March 24, 2007
By Madeline Chambers

Knut during its first presentation in Berlin Zoo. Photo / Reuters
Related nzherald links:
  • Berlin gripped by fate of polar bear cub Knut (external - login to view)
For more photos of Knut Click here

BERLIN - Germany's youngest celebrity, Knut the polar bear cub, made his much-anticipated public debut at Berlin Zoo today and appeared unfazed by the media scrum surrounding his first excursion.
The three-and-a-half-month old white cub padded gingerly round his new enclosure to the gasps and sighs of onlookers.
Fortified by a breakfast of porridge, the puppy-sized cub sniffed the grass and rolled in the dust before delighting the crowds by splashing in a pond.
"I want to take him home," said Daniel Wolff, five, whose mother had bought him a specially made "Knut" cuddly polar bear toy on sale on a stand outside the enclosure.
Knut stole the heart of Berliners after he was born in December but rejected by his mother Tosca. A bearded zookeeper moved into the enclosure to look after him round the clock.
But Knut's fate grabbed global attention after an animal rights campaigner said hand-rearing polar bears was a violation of animal rights. German media interpreted his comments as a call for Knut to be put to sleep.

"We are not worried about Knut's future," Berlin Zoo vet Andre Schuele told reporters. "As a male he will grow big and strong. Polar bears are loners and he will be fine -- it doesn't matter that he has been hand-reared."
At least 200 journalists from around the globe gathered at the zoo for "Knut Day", and his outing threatened to overshadow the start of a major EU summit taking place in the capital at the weekend, zoo official Ragnar Kuehne said.
"There is always something special about bringing up a baby polar bear on a bottle and with Knut, the added fear that he might die bolstered solidarity for the bear," said Kuehne.
Cameramen from Japan, the United States, Brazil and Finland jostled on ladders to take the best pictures. German television channels covered Knut's first public steps live and some newspaper journalists had to post live podcasts of the occasion.
Knut has also drawn attention to the plight of polar bears as worries grow that global warming is contributing to the melting of their habitat.
German Environment Minister Sigmar Gabriel has adopted Knut and used his appearance to further the debate on climate change.
"Knut is in safe hands here but worldwide polar bears are in danger and if Knut can help the cause, then that is a good thing," said the minister as he accompanied Knut on his walk and tickled his chin for the cameras.
- REUTERS
Last edited by Curiosity; Mar 23rd, 2007 at 09:42 PM..

Curiosity
Another

And another

hermanntrude
good to see they're treating him like the polar bear he is and not tryign to make him into some kind of pet

Curiosity
A good post to end my day

I'm in love!

darkbeaver
It is a cute little animal though.

hermanntrude
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaverView Post

It is a cute little animal though.

you know they kill seals? that makes them evil and wrong apparently

selfactivated
I dont know what to think about this.....gut says its wrong

Jay
Quote: Originally Posted by CuriosityView Post

I'm in love!

So am I.

The Bears going to be happy all it's life.

karrie
I just don't understand how letting him die is supposed to be preferable to 'violating his animal rights' by hand rearing him.

They've put his mom in an unnatural situation, and so she rejected him. Hand rearing him, or letting him die because of the unnatural situation, are the only two options. Could you watch that little guy starve to death and die in front of you? How does that help him, the zoo, or wild polar bears in any way shape or form?

If anyone can explain the view of the those complaining to me, I'd love to hear it. Because I clearly don't get it!

westmanguy
OMG that was such a cute polar bear!!!!!!

Its so cute, I just want to hug it and kiss it all day long!!

I am cheating on my own puppy... no! no!

Its so cute!

Screw natural surroundings, I like it with the little soccer ball!

Jay
Quote: Originally Posted by karrieView Post

I just don't understand how letting him die is supposed to be preferable to 'violating his animal rights' by hand rearing him.

They've put his mom in an unnatural situation, and so she rejected him. Hand rearing him, or letting him die because of the unnatural situation, are the only two options. Could you watch that little guy starve to death and die in front of you? How does that help him, the zoo, or wild polar bears in any way shape or form?

If anyone can explain the view of the those complaining to me, I'd love to hear it. Because I clearly don't get it!

Quote:

Fortified by a breakfast of porridge, the puppy-sized cub sniffed the grass and rolled in the dust before delighting the crowds by splashing in a pond.

gopher
Yup, real cute!

selfactivated
Quote: Originally Posted by JayView Post

Yup.........

hermanntrude
I think it's obvious they should rear him rather than put him down but they could at least try and avoid pretending he's a cuddly toy bear.

westmanguy
It please my eyes though.

It makes me happy.

It brings joy.

Animals are meant to serve people, so the cuddly toy bear is pleasing my eyes.

And OMG those 2 pics in the second post are SO CUTE!!

I could just hug it all day long!

hermanntrude
Quote: Originally Posted by westmanguyView Post

Animals are meant to serve people, so the cuddly toy bear is pleasing my eyes.

you're such a troll sometimes. I won't argue

karrie
I don't get what it is they're doing that's much different from other hand reared zoo animals though. He isn't being handed out for public snuggle sessions. He has his handlers, and that sounds like it. Some photo ops, but again, that's not especialyl unusual. And they give toys to all zoo animals to help keep them from going insane. The big polar bears get plastic barrels and stuff. Perhaps it's just not as 'cute' when it's a big bear with a barrel or a tire?

westmanguy
hermann - what purpose are animals for besides directly and indirectly serving us.

Animals purpose is to serve us... everything animals do help us.

I am not trolling but serious.

hermanntrude

hermann - what purpose are animals for besides directly and indirectly serving us.

I suppose you'd better start another thread, but i won't be participating tonight i'm tired

CDNBear
The ballad of a caged Bear.

Here I sit, in a papermache world, the top of the food chain,
that ends with walls, bars and thick windows, in pain.

I have this urge to travel far, to feel in motion,
but I can only circle the concrete and the blue water of this lil ocean.

The things that giggle and laugh when I splash and play,
bother me, I ask nice, but they won't go away.

Here I sit surrounded by seemingly familiar things in view,
but they are as strange to me as they would be to you.

I dream of bigger places, cold and white,
places I have never been there, but I know it's right.

I feel a longing I don't understand,
it's like a scream in my heart and every muscles strand.

This isn't living, this is existing,
I yurn to be free, this bowl I'm in is stinging.

I scream out loud, no one listens,
I stare into the pool where the free sun glissens.

I cry, but no one wipes away my tears,
I cry, but no one aswages my fears.

I yurn for something I did not know,
I yurn to run in places I can not go.

Sweet death embrace me,
end my slavery and set me free.

I'm a Bear not a show,
sweet death take me to the places I can not go.
---------------------------------------------------

Ohkwai.

Just in case anyone was wondering what Bears think of captivity.

El Barto
I think the picture of that blonde is cute , just wanna cuddle it and rub its belly, and make it purr.Polar bears don't purr do they? Maybe when they're chewing on your flesh.

Curiosity
Loved the comments - much as I thought there would be. Bear your poem made me sad - but it is true - no living creature should live in a cage - but once he was rejected by his mother, there were only two options, unless a surrogate could have been found and obviously none was available.

Some who don't believe in prolonging captivity for the little wild guy - some who think he should be nurtured no matter what the outcome - he is a living creature.

If mom rejected him there may be something not presenting itself yet in him - some abnormality - I remember twin cubs were born by a mother in the San Diego Zoo I think, and she rejected them - turns out the female twin was impaired with some nutritional development which prevented her from walking upright - she was dragging her hind legs. The Zoo tested her and gave her supplements and she eventually strengthened enough to walk naturally.

Read this morning Knut was also a twin - but the other cub didn't survive - so maybe that is why mom rejected the pair.

Zoos all over many nations have large animals in captivity - many have created some expensive natural settings for their wildlife and with what researchers have learned from these creatures many other wild animals have benefitted from the knowledge.

While I would rather the baby had his mother's nurturing and care - I am happy he was allowed to live.

Final thought - awful one - abortion seems so 'routine' now... yet we are moved by this little fuzzy guy .... we are strange we humans.
Last edited by Curiosity; Mar 24th, 2007 at 07:34 AM..

CDNBear
Quote: Originally Posted by CuriosityView Post

Loved the comments - much as I thought there would be

Some who don't believe in prolonging captivity for the little wild guy - some who think he should be nurtured no matter what the outcome - he is a living creature.

If mom rejected him there may be something not presenting itself yet in him - some abnormality - I remember twin cubs were born by a mother in the San Diego Zoo I think, and she rejected them - turns out the female twin was impaired with some nutritional development which prevented her from walking upright - she was dragging her hind legs. The Zoo tested her and gave her supplements and she eventually strengthened enough to walk naturally.

Zoos all over many nations have large animals in captivity - many have created some expensive natural settings for their wildlife and with what researchers have learned from these creatures many other wild animals have benefitted from the knowledge.

While I would rather the baby had his mother's nurturing and care - I am happy he was allowed to live.

I am to WC, but I can't help feeling for them in some way.

I, a Bear, know what it's like to be free and what it is like to be in captivity. If given the choice, captivity or death, I would choose death.

I understand the benefits or the research and the exposure to the general public. It brings about an awareness that can only strengthen the bond of man and nature and as you have pointed out, benefits of those still in the wild.

But that doesn't change my feelings, but they are just mine, important to me and me alone.

Knut is a cute lil guy, as are most cubs at that age. But then they grow older and if they are anything like this Bear, they yurn for the caress of the free wind on their furry faces.

Benefits? Yes. Draw backs? Yes. Should he have been left to die? No. Personal inner battles rage.

Curiosity
Bear

It's hard having to make decisions and I wonder if we humans should have been designated 'caretakers' for all the living things on our planet.

I can't visit zoos - not since I was a child - and even then I was in tears most of the time being dragged around the exhibits - hating every minute.

It's a weakness I live with - not being able to resolve the good and bad of caring for wild critters unable to fend for themselves as newborns - still I am drawn to them.

China's Pandas would be extinct if not for the captive research going on to breed and study them - but life and birth in captivity may be weakening their natal defenses for living in the wild.

I don't know...

selfactivated
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

I am to WC, but I can't help feeling for them in some way.

I, a Bear, know what it's like to be free and what it is like to be in captivity. If given the choice, captivity or death, I would choose death.

I understand the benefits or the research and the exposure to the general public. It brings about an awareness that can only strengthen the bond of man and nature and as you have pointed out, benefits of those still in the wild.

But that doesn't change my feelings, but they are just mine, important to me and me alone.

Knut is a cute lil guy, as are most cubs at that age. But then they grow older and if they are anything like this Bear, they yurn for the caress of the free wind on their furry faces.

Benefits? Yes. Draw backs? Yes. Should he have been left to die? No. Personal inner battles rage.

This too is my cunundrum. But what sort of research can be gleaned if the babe isnt wild? Im not sure and Im not sure it matters. I for one live in a cage by choice but if I was MADE to be here....well you see my point.

Zzarchov
It is only captivity if you have known another way of life bear.

A wild bear taken captive could never be happy. He could have moments, but thats it. Likewise, a captive animal sent into exhile could never be happy. He could have moments, but thats it.

A wild dog taken captive will always try to escape. A pet dog dumped in the middle of the woods will try and find a house to take it in.

People are not that special, we aren't the only ones who like social environs similar to the ones we grew up with.

GreenGreta

What? Animals purpose have absolutely NOTHING to do with humans. Just because some jerkoff took a beautiful wild horse and made it into a servent doesn't mean that's how it was intended. They would be perfectly fine and content without us, and would presumably prefer it that way. Animals are here to serve the earth. Humanity is a fungus that is slowing destroying this planet and without US the animals would have cared for the planet for another fifty zillion years.

Serve us, how selfish and typical of a human being to see it that way. At one time it was believed that black people's purpose was to serve us too. We were certainly wrong there as well.