Is it immoral to procreate?

tracy
Quote: Originally Posted by ZzarchovView Post

You should not procreate if you can't look after the child and give it a good life.

I don't think thats too "barbaric" a position is it?

If that were the case I wouldn't exist, so I would call it a little harsh. I was given up for adoption and I'm grateful for it. Many people create their families with children whose parents couldn't care for them.

tracy
Quote: Originally Posted by El BartoView Post

The population explosion is comming from the less indusrrial countries. Wonder if they ask themselves the same questions?
I guess women should sleep with one eye open then.

Unfortunately in most poor countries women have very little to no control over their fertility.

El Barto
Quote: Originally Posted by tracyView Post

Unfortunately in most poor countries women have very little to no control over their fertility.

True sadly but the last line was for the one who started the thread, which kinda kills it when she gets to this post.......DOH

oneiopen
Quote: Originally Posted by El BartoView Post

The population explosion is comming from the less indusrrial countries. Wonder if they ask themselves the same questions?
I guess women should sleep with one eye open then.

That should be 2legs+'d.

karrie
Well, thanks Hermann for pointing out that onei is a mom. I had assumed otherwise! lol.

That being said....

The desire to procreate is not limited strictly to the act of sex. The desire to have a child, to hold that warm little bundle of joy in your arms, is not just about screwing. It's an urge of its own, completely outside of the act which makes it possible, and if you think there are many people in this world who can simply shrug off that urge, that desire, then you're kidding yourself.

Quote: Originally Posted by oneiopenView Post

There's a major difference between having sex and the active decision to bring another human being into the world, especially in a society where preventative, and after-the-fact, contraception is readily available. Having a child today is a conscious choice.

Last edited by karrie; Mar 22nd, 2007 at 03:47 PM..Reason: stupid assumption

hermanntrude
actually i made the same assumption but i checked her profile and she's a mother

oneiopen
Quote: Originally Posted by karrieView Post

Well, thanks Hermann for pointing out that onei is a mom. I had assumed otherwise! lol.

That being said....

The desire to procreate is not limited strictly to the act of sex. The desire to have a child, to hold that warm little bundle of joy in your arms, is not just about screwing. It's an urge of its own, completely outside of the act which makes it possible, and if you think there are many people in this world who can simply shrug off that urge, that desire, then you're kidding yourself.

The desire to procreate and the rational decision to procreate are two different things. I would always hope that parents address the latter. Obviously, from your post, many don't.

hermanntrude

The desire to procreate and the rational decision to procreate are two different things. I would always hope that parents address the latter. Obviously, from your post, many don't.

you just cannot rely on people making rational decisions. Ocassionally you'll meet someone who can, but in general, most can't or won't or just plain don't. Personally i feel it's niaeve to assume anyone has the capability of thinking rationally at all. usually it's safer to assume everyone's an idiot and then work up when they surprise you. Sounds quite negative but it's the rational way to act, since assuming too much intelligence in people usually leads to the worse result.

karrie

I would always hope that women are conscious enough of their hormones to not get grumpy with people around them when they are PMS'ing, but many aren't. Many ignore their cycles, and just follow what their hormones tell them. I would always hope that men would be smart enough to ignore what their hormones tell them too, and not have affairs, shattering families left right and center, but my hopes don't amount to much. Humans always have, and always will follow their urges, their desires. Morality has nothing to do with it... nature however, has everything.

agentkgb
I don't think I'd use the term immoral in relation to procreation unless you have no intention of taking care of the child. I would say though that it is unreasonable/bad/can'tfindthewordi'mlookingforhere to procreate a great deal. I don't think it would make sense to say that any procreation is immoral though, since we obviously depend on it.

Toro
Quote: Originally Posted by hermanntrudeView Post

certainly not actually ON the board.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

The answer is to the question in the title of the thread is "No"

Next.