five intersecting tetrahedra

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
I was going to post this in the pics thread or the quiet spot but now it's finished I'm so proud I think it needs its own thread :)

it took me four days, consists of 30 peices of paper and no glue. assembling it nearly turned my brain inside out.

Here's a video (which I did NOT make) of a guy making one:

link

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Okay... so... the serious question.... how will this work in to the baby's mobile? Because you are planning a mobile for the baby right? This would make an interesting center point.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
never tought of that. I wasnt planning one but i expect i could knock up ten in a week :0) fun!

Leave it to a man to have such a gorgeous talent, and not think of applying it to decorating for the baby. lol.

I think you should do all sorts of items though, not just the tetrahedra. cranes are an obvious one, and I'm sure you have more you could apply (personally, for a little girl, a mobile full of flowers would be heavenly). Balsa wood is cheap, and string is even cheaper... it would be easy enough to do.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
funny at one stage i was planning a mobile like that for my sister but never got round to it :eek:(

it's quite difficult to hang some of these models. This particular one is quite delicate and can't be hung from the corners or it'd fall apart... i'll have to think of ways

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
Leave it to a man to have such a gorgeous talent, and not think of applying it to decorating for the baby. lol.

I think you should do all sorts of items though, not just the tetrahedra. cranes are an obvious one, and I'm sure you have more you could apply (personally, for a little girl, a mobile full of flowers would be heavenly). Balsa wood is cheap, and string is even cheaper... it would be easy enough to do.

He throws em on the floor til they get stepped on!!!! pffffft

YOU FINISHED!!!ITS GEORGIOUS!

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
With the tetrahedra, I would use it as the center of your balsa wood frame, from which to hang all the rest of the pieces as you choose to make them. If at all possible that is. That way, it would hang from the balsa framework through the center, rather than trying to hang it from one corner.

As for other pieces, beadwork wire is wonderful.

funny at one stage i was planning a mobile like that for my sister but never got round to it :eek:(

it's quite difficult to hang some of these models. This particular one is quite delicate and can't be hung from the corners or it'd fall apart... i'll have to think of ways