Ethics in shopping

westmanguy
Watched this interesting clip on FOX News Channel (#1 source for news).

A few questions of ethics when shopping:

When you go to a book store or a Wal-Mart and pick up a book and read the entire thing there and get up and leave and never purchase it.

Buy a plasma flat screen for the Super Bowl and return it the next day.

So its a question of ethics.

You would not treat your friends or family in that matter, so why would you treat a business like that?

I find people lose all ethics and caring if they do not know the person or its big business.

I will admit.. I have read a magazine one time in Wal-Mart and put it back after...

s243a
How many people really do those first two examples? A magazine I could see because they are not that long but a whole book?

hermanntrude
sometimes i go to my local chapters and sit in teh starbucks, read some short stories, then put the book back and leave.

I'm a bad boy. But i do sometimes buy books there too

TenPenny
Quote: Originally Posted by hermanntrudeView Post

sometimes i go to my local chapters and sit in teh starbucks, read some short stories, then put the book back and leave.

I'm a bad boy. But i do sometimes buy books there too

That's actually what they encourage people to do at Chapters. That's why they put cafes in there, knowing that you will buy enough to make up for it. I do occasionally skim the magazines, generally only in a store where I buy other stuff anyway.

hermanntrude
today i brought my own book. Was a little worried someone might accuse me of stealing on the way out

karrie
Well, Wal-Mart is a bad example of this sort of behavior, since there's nowhere to sit and read. you'd have to stand in the aisle, and that's just ridiculous. I think if you were that committed to reading a book for free, they'd probably just shrug and let you be.

As for Chapters and similar chains, they put chairs in for a reason. They want to replace libraries, where you can read any book and return it (what a neat concept!), as our main source of literature. Thus, they want to make it seem as near to a library as possible.

Buying products for one time use, yeah, that's tacky. But, it's also more work than most people are willing to go to, so I don't really see it becoming a large scale problem for any particular retailer.

Curiosity
My friend and I tried on too many perfumes at the sample bar once..... ohhhhhhhhh we had to keep the windows open in the car on the way home.... ruined our day! cough cough.....

I love Borders and Chapters and any bookstore with a coffee place attached.....I'll even start to read a book I just bought..... it always feels so..... um.....belonging I guess.....

selfactivated
Quote: Originally Posted by karrieView Post

Well, Wal-Mart is a bad example of this sort of behavior, since there's nowhere to sit and read. you'd have to stand in the aisle, and that's just ridiculous. I think if you were that committed to reading a book for free, they'd probably just shrug and let you be.

As for Chapters and similar chains, they put chairs in for a reason. They want to replace libraries, where you can read any book and return it (what a neat concept!), as our main source of literature. Thus, they want to make it seem as near to a library as possible.

Buying products for one time use, yeah, that's tacky. But, it's also more work than most people are willing to go to, so I don't really see it becoming a large scale problem for any particular retailer.

Ive actually read a whole book in Walmart.....one of the David series. I was waiting for a store manager to contact my boss and sighn my timecard......It was 3 hours and I charged them the 3 hours to boot!

Vereya
Right now it sounds unbelievable event to me, but I once read an encyclopedia in a book-store. It was a one-volume encyclopedia, but that volume was real thick, and I read it from cover to cover. It was an encyclopedia on my favorite writer, Mikhail Bulgakov. It was so expensive, and I had so little money, there was no way I could afford buying it. So I kept coming to that store for about a week, and reading that encyclopedia. I REALLY had to read it, you know