Would you kill another human being under certain circumstances?


View Poll Results: Choose:
Under certain situations, I could take a human life 32 91.43%
Regardless of the situation, I could NEVER take another human life 3 8.57%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

tamarin
#61
El Barto, you must be referring to a study released last year that stated young whackers - dedicated ones - had an excellent chance at avoiding prostate cancer later in life. But you had to start young and be frenetic. Were you on active duty when your country needed you?
 
selfactivated
#62
Quote: Originally Posted by PanglossView Post

What about a hierarchy of humanity? The just fertilized egg is less than a zygote; the zygote is less than second trimester; second less than third, third less than born, baby less than adult?

Before you all jump on me, realize we do have a hierarchy of rights: the testimony of a child has no weight in western courts without corroboration(sp?), you cannot drive or sign a contract until you are at least 15, and in most cases 16, you cannot enlist or vote until at least 18; nor can you run for public office until you reach the age of majority.

Try to get a mortgage or rent a car before you are twenty-five.

Try to get a vasectomy or tubal ligation before thirty.

As a society, we understand that there are things most of us do not understand or cannot understand until we are of a certain age: therefore we already agree in diminishing humanity as we get younger.

Running away after opening the can of worms. . .

Pangloss

I know your meaning but I find that all life is life....I dont ever kill spiders or moths or flies.....now ants get a warning and then I look for the raid......theres to many to carry outta the house!
 
Dexter Sinister
#63
Quote: Originally Posted by El BartoView Post

...prevents prostrate cancer.

Um.. that would be prostate. Prostrate just means you're doing whatever you're doing lying down. Which is recommended by 4 out of 5 doctors...
Quote: Originally Posted by selfactivated

While were at it abortion is that killing? In the context of this thread is it murder?


It's certainly killing, but whether it's murder or not depends on how you define that word. The pro-life crowd defines it so that abortion is murder, so they can call it down on that basis. The pro-choice crowd defines it differently, to make that claim irrelevant. Depends on your agenda. But neither of them have got a grip on the real question.

The real question is this: under what circumstances is it permissible to take a human life? Every society in history has accepted that there are certain circumstances under which it's permissible, even laudable sometimes. A state of war is only the most obvious one. Self defence is generally recognized in all societies whose laws are based on British Common Law or the French Napoleonic Code as a legitimate reason for killing someone. There's a lot of smoke and mirrors in the debate over abortion, about things like when does life begin,and does a woman have a right to control her own body. They're all BS. A fertlized and successfully implanted ovum, left alone, will eventually turn into something we all recognize as a human being. A human life begins when the sperm penetrates the egg. As for a woman having a right to control her own body...it's not a question of rights at all, that's a red herring. It's a question of what's possible. If a woman really could control her own body, the question would never arise, there would be no unwanted or unplanned pregnancies.
It arises only because women don't have that degree of control over their bodies. Modern technology has given them some degree of control, but that's a matter of personal choices, not rights.

 
El Barto
#64
Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter SinisterView Post

Um.. that would be prostate. Prostrate just means you're doing whatever you're doing lying down. Which is recommended by 4 out of 5 doctors...

Don't you mean procrastinate ? 4out 5 times I do that lying down
thank you mr Spock
 
unclepercy
#65
Quote: Originally Posted by hermanntrudeView Post

I don't seek to judge this woman at all but I still think in that situation I would find another way to deal with him. I'm not saying it wouldn't be difficult.

Well, thanks for being reasonable. I knew her pretty well. Was in her home many times, and even
attended her daughter's baby shower. She had a mother and father who were junkers - they picked up junk to sell. So, she came from a very humble background. Even knowing her that well, I
only discussed this episode with her once. My husband was more mortified that I would associate with a murderer, but our relationship - while not "best friends - went very smoothly. Give respect and get respect.

Uncle
 
unclepercy
#66
Quote: Originally Posted by RegtrackerView Post

in self defence,only if necessary. i am a soldier(16 years) we have rules of engagement and we don't fire unless fired upon and only after the order is given!

Reg,
What would you do in this situation? You live in a large apartment complex. You look out of the window at your car, and a black man is breaking into your car to steal the stereo. My daughter's
boyfriend shot him in the ***, and he ended up paying $13,000 worth of hospital bills on the crook.
Where is the justice?

Uncle
 
I think not
#67
Quote: Originally Posted by RegtrackerView Post

in self defence,only if necessary. i am a soldier(16 years) we have rules of engagement and we don't fire unless fired upon and only after the order is given!

You mean if you're lucky enough for the enemy to miss you get to shoot?
 
RomSpaceKnight
#68
I was in the military, so the expectation was there that it may have been necessary. Not my trade but on active overseas duty you never know. In self defence or if deadly force was required to save an innocent life, sure. These days I kill dandelions, house flies and mosquitos and that's about it. Sorry worms and minnows for bait too.
 
karrie
#69
Quote: Originally Posted by unclepercyView Post

Reg,
What would you do in this situation? You live in a large apartment complex. You look out of the window at your car, and a black man is breaking into your car to steal the stereo. My daughter's
boyfriend shot him in the ***, and he ended up paying $13,000 worth of hospital bills on the crook.
Where is the justice?

Uncle


Well, so long as it wasn't a white man.

Frankly, justice would have been seeing your daughter's boyfriend spend some time in prison for firing his gun in a public space for a stupid reason. A car stereo is not worth a human life, and with the vast majority of people (and no, I don't care if he is some special exception like an army sniper), firing a gun in public means ricochets, and/or potential for hitting passersby.
 
Dexter Sinister
#70
Quote: Originally Posted by unclepercyView Post

...shot him in the ***, and he ended up paying $13,000 worth of hospital bills on the crook.

That happen in the USA or Canada? If it was Canada, he's lucky that's all that happened to him, and I'm surprised he wasn't charged with something like reckless endangerment or illegal use of a firearm. Such deadly force in a situation like that is wholly unjustifiable. The law does recognize that a certain amount of force is sometimes justifiable, but there are limits. If a guy (black or white or red or whatever) breaks into your house, for instance, you won't be charged with assault if you pound on him 'til he goes down. But if you continue beating on him after he's down and out, in Canada you will be. And you should be.
 
unclepercy
#71
Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter SinisterView Post

Exactly, and good on you, Reg. Don't start it, but if somebody else insists on starting it, be prepared to finish it.

duplicate - sorry
 
westmanguy
-1
#72
Abortion is murder.

A zygote is the first stage of human life, scientifically.

You can't get a human from sperm.

The first stage you can get a human from is a zygote, so technically a zygote is the first stage of human life, because you need a zygote to form human life.

So if you intentionally abort a zygote, you are killed another human life.

A human life in its 1st stage.

So we got millions of female murders out there.
 
Libra Girl
#73
lol, you are both incorrigible!
 
L Gilbert
+2
#74
"Would you kill another human being under certain circumstances?"

I don't know; never been in that situation. If someone was killing kids I would like to think so.

Quote: Originally Posted by westmanguyView Post

Abortion is murder.

A zygote is the first stage of human life, scientifically.

You can't get a human from sperm.

The first stage you can get a human from is a zygote, so technically a zygote is the first stage of human life, because you need a zygote to form human life.

So if you intentionally abort a zygote, you are killed another human life.

A human life in its 1st stage.

So we got millions of female murders out there.

Yep, including the ones that miscarry and such. Kill those murderers!

Sorry, but abortion isn't against the law.
 
damngrumpy
+1
#75
There was a time when I would have said no. The fact is we are in a nation
like all other nations that straddles the line between civilized and not civilized.
We see more and more serious crimes of evil and yet we do almost nothing.
Child killers, those who traffic young girls, people who kill for your new hat or
jacket.
Not one of us knows when we will be confronted with assault or the possibility
of death. The time has come for each to face reality and understand that you
might become a murder victim yourself or have it on you conscience that you
did nothing to help someone else.
There is a sad case in Winnipeg this past week where a young woman was
murdered in the parking lot where she lives. She was a friend of someone
we know, and as it turns out, she was murdered by someone who was hired
by her boyfriend because they had a serious argument.
I think with DNA we can sort out some of these cases I am no longer totally
against the death penalty. Not as a preventative measure, but as a notice
that there is a severe forfeiture should you do something that evil.
 
GroundWater
+3
#76
In a heart beat, you attempt to take my life or physically harm any member of my family especially my childern, your dead, no questions asked end of story, if I do time then so be it.

This would be more directed at the pedphile sh#t heads of the world.
 
JLM
+1
#77
Quote: Originally Posted by damngrumpyView Post

There was a time when I would have said no. The fact is we are in a nation
like all other nations that straddles the line between civilized and not civilized.
We see more and more serious crimes of evil and yet we do almost nothing.
Child killers, those who traffic young girls, people who kill for your new hat or
jacket.
Not one of us knows when we will be confronted with assault or the possibility
of death. The time has come for each to face reality and understand that you
might become a murder victim yourself or have it on you conscience that you
did nothing to help someone else.
There is a sad case in Winnipeg this past week where a young woman was
murdered in the parking lot where she lives. She was a friend of someone
we know, and as it turns out, she was murdered by someone who was hired
by her boyfriend because they had a serious argument.
I think with DNA we can sort out some of these cases I am no longer totally
against the death penalty. Not as a preventative measure, but as a notice
that there is a severe forfeiture should you do something that evil.

My sentiments exactly!
 
gerryh
#78
Quote: Originally Posted by L GilbertView Post


Yep, including the ones that miscarry and such. Kill those murderers!

Sorry, but abortion isn't against the law.


And when it was, I suppose you supported it?
 
Cliffy
+2
#79
To me all life is sacred. I do not see human life as anything special or above any other. I do not think that it would matter to me if I was being attacked by a grizzly or a human, I would probably react the same - defend myself with everything I had. If that meant the other died in the process, that is the way it is. Other than that, I have never been in a situation of life and death where I had to make a decision. We can speculate all we want but we would have to wait until a situation arises and see what we do.
 
Niflmir
+3
#80
Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

To me all life is sacred. I do not see human life as anything special or above any other. I do not think that it would matter to me if I was being attacked by a grizzly or a human, I would probably react the same - defend myself with everything I had. If that meant the other died in the process, that is the way it is. Other than that, I have never been in a situation of life and death where I had to make a decision. We can speculate all we want but we would have to wait until a situation arises and see what we do.

I swat hornets just for annoying me when I am trying to eat a meal outside in the summer time. Even people who are vegetarians on moral grounds will swat a mosquito. I know people that so hate snakes they will kill them on sight. Most people will kill any rodents that make an appearance in their homes. Society routinely euthanises stray animals.

On the other hand, I think it is barbaric to go killing wolves, mountain lions, bears or predators in general when they attack and kill people. Being uncomfortable with the nature of things is no reason for wanton killing.
 
jariax
#81
Quote: Originally Posted by westmanguyView Post

Would you join the military and kill the enemy for your country?

If someone was attacking you, would you kill them, to save yourself?

If someone hurt someone you loved, in front of you, would you kill them?

If justice wasn't served to someone you loved, would you take justice into your own hands?

Many questions, about what it would take for you to take another human life.

If Canada was in a World War, and I was ready and able, I would join the military.
If I was in a kill or be killed situation, I would kill that attacker.
If someone close to me (may it be a friend, parent, child, etc.) was hurt or murdered in front of me I would kill them.
If, a close one I loved was murdered or damaged for the rest of their lives, and the courts did not serve justice, and I had the oppurtunity, I would seriously consider killing that human being.

What I am getting at is, almost every human being given the forumula for a certain situation would kill another human being.

This is sort of a spinoff from china's thread, but her thread was about animals and war.

So my question for you is, under what circumstances could YOU kill another human being? Or would you never kill under any circumstance?

I know alot of mothers that could easily kill anyone who hurts their child, including my mom, most mothers would kill without though, if their child was killed in front of them.

So that is the question to debate! What circumstance would it take you to kill another human life!?

I think anyone who says that there are no circumstances in which they would kill, really hasn't it thought it through.

Most of us (including myself) would kill in a kill or be killed scenario. That does not mean, someone is trying to punch you, rob you or breaks into your home. Those that kill with the slightest provocation or threat to their well being are too cowardly to wait a few moments to properly ascertain the threat level.

Killing someone who hurt or killed someone who you love, for me, depends on my self-control. It may feel good. it may not be preventable, but in reality, the killing of such a person would not help the person that was harmed, and it would make my life much worse. But in times like those, we are not often ruled by pen and paper logic.
 
Niflmir
#82
Quote: Originally Posted by jariaxView Post

Killing someone who hurt or killed someone who you love, for me, depends on my self-control. It may feel good. it may not be preventable, but in reality, the killing of such a person would not help the person that was harmed, and it would make my life much worse. But in times like those, we are not often ruled by pen and paper logic.

There are endless stories and historical events based on just that: revenge. The desire to inflict misfortune on those who have wronged us is deeply ingrained in all of us. Strangely, it seems the desire to overcome these feelings is also ingrained in us.
 
L Gilbert
#83
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

And when it was, I suppose you supported it?

In certain circumstances, yes. I thought I had made my position perfectly clear............. several times.

Quote: Originally Posted by NiflmirView Post

There are endless stories and historical events based on just that: revenge. The desire to inflict misfortune on those who have wronged us is deeply ingrained in all of us. Strangely, it seems the desire to overcome these feelings is also ingrained in us.

hehehehe I like pushing karma sometimes; especially if it is justice in the poetical sense.
 
Locutus
+2
#84
Holy thread-ressurection Batman!

 
Machjo
+3
#85
Quote: Originally Posted by westmanguyView Post

Would you join the military and kill the enemy for your country?

If someone was attacking you, would you kill them, to save yourself?

If someone hurt someone you loved, in front of you, would you kill them?

If justice wasn't served to someone you loved, would you take justice into your own hands?

Many questions, about what it would take for you to take another human life.

If Canada was in a World War, and I was ready and able, I would join the military.
If I was in a kill or be killed situation, I would kill that attacker.
If someone close to me (may it be a friend, parent, child, etc.) was hurt or murdered in front of me I would kill them.
If, a close one I loved was murdered or damaged for the rest of their lives, and the courts did not serve justice, and I had the oppurtunity, I would seriously consider killing that human being.

What I am getting at is, almost every human being given the forumula for a certain situation would kill another human being.

This is sort of a spinoff from china's thread, but her thread was about animals and war.

So my question for you is, under what circumstances could YOU kill another human being? Or would you never kill under any circumstance?

I know alot of mothers that could easily kill anyone who hurts their child, including my mom, most mothers would kill without though, if their child was killed in front of them.

So that is the question to debate! What circumstance would it take you to kill another human life!?

I had joined the military in the past, infantry to boot. Though ironically enough, I was a pacifist at the time but joined owing to paternal pressure and the fact that I'd graduated from high school in the midst of a recession (not good reasons, I know, but there you have it).

Though I was physically fit, I did not fit in well with the rest of the soldiers, so ended up leaving (for anyone who's been in the military, you know barrack life requires everyone to be more than just a team, but almost think alike to really get along within common quarters for long periods).

Strangely enough though, after leaving the military, I'd concluded that war can be acceptable under some circumstances, but would also not volunteer to join on religious grounds, but would still obey if conscripted but would still at least request a non-combat role.

Outside the military, I could kill in self-defence or the defence of another if it was necessary, but only then.
 
Ron in Regina
#86
Quote: Originally Posted by MachjoView Post

.....I could kill in self-defence or the defence of another if it was necessary, but only then.

Ditto.
 
Nuggler
+1
#87
...........Another Lazarus thread:

Oh well:

KILL KILL KILL KILL KILL KILL
Only in self defense or if some basket case was attempting to kill a member of the human race and I happened along. The intent would be just to stop the basket case, but hooooonose what might transpire.
Peace and love all you fuc..........er fun loving folks


 
petros
+4
#88  Top Rated Post
I'd kill y'all if you were tasty.
 
wizard
#89
... to answer the thread question, i would NEVER take another human life in any circumstances ...

... one reason is because the punishment for taking a human life is way too extreme ...
 
SLM
+2
#90
Quote: Originally Posted by wizardView Post

... to answer the thread question, i would NEVER take another human life in any circumstances ...

... one reason is because the punishment for taking a human life is way too extreme ...

Wow!
 
no new posts