Standby Mode.

Lithp

Electoral Member
Mar 16, 2005
How many electronic devices do you have that have standby mode? Is there really any value in having this? Does it serve any real point? I was watching a news piece where it was said that standby mode eats up huge amounts of electricity when you take into account all of the devices in the home that have it.

The new Daylight Saving Time is supposed to reduce energy consumption. Wouldn't eliminating the standby mode in electronics accomplish this as well?

Lithp

Electoral Member
Mar 16, 2005
Perhaps I wasn't clear. My question is what is the point of standby mode when the device is off? It is still consuming power.

s243a

Council Member
Mar 9, 2007
Calgary
Perhaps I wasn't clear. My question is what is the point of standby mode when the device is off? It is still consuming power.

[FONT=&quot]You don’t have to wait for the device to power back up.[/FONT]

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto

You can boot up quicker in standby mode. Also, standby is different then powering the pc off. In standby mode, there is electricity going to the memory so it can retain the desktop as it was priot to sleep. The ammount of power consumed in standby/sleep mode is minimal. I know personally, if I keep my pc running 24/7, it is constantly drawing about 400w, at idle.

Lithp

Electoral Member
Mar 16, 2005
Ok. A Couple things.
First I understand the logic behind a PC going into standby mode.
Second (and it seems like I have failed to clarify) my original post was geared towards the waste of energy in all electronic devices using standby mode i.e. DVD, CD players, etc.
Is there really a need for devices other than computers to have such a feature? Does there need to be power flowing to a stereo that is not in use for example?