Libertarianism=Anarchy.

snfu73

disturber of the peace
I don't know if many libertarians frequent these forums. I want to go on record saying that I am not a big fan of the concept of libertarianism. To me, it is nothing by anarchy by a more civilized, grown up title. To me, libertarians want to tear down all that keeps our society civil and functioning.

Your thoughts....

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
I don't know if many libertarians frequent these forums. I want to go on record saying that I am not a big fan of the concept of libertarianism. To me, it is nothing by anarchy by a more civilized, grown up title. To me, libertarians want to tear down all that keeps our society civil and functioning.

Your thoughts....

Libertarians don't take personal responsiblity for their actions? Lack of accountability is what tears down society, not deciding to smoke cigarettes.

LittleRunningGag

Electoral Member
Jan 11, 2006
Calgary, Alberta
members.shaw.ca

Your thoughts....

And, what is it that keeps our civilization 'civil and functioning' exactly? The threat of violence.

Said1 said:
Libertarians don't take personal responsiblity for their actions?

WTF? Libertarians are all about taking personal responsibility. Libertarianism is about not relying on others to carry you because you can't be bothered to do it yourself. It is about everyone living in a way that fits them, so long as it doesn't interfere with the lives of others. And not trying to force your opinions on others just because they disagree with you.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
anarchy is not neccessarily chaos. my old boss was an anarchist. he believed no-one should be in charge, but people should be responsible for their own actions. It was difficult to work for him.

personally I feel I am a liberal kind of guy, but I don't believe in anarchy as I know that the overwhelming majority of people are too stupid to be responsible for their own actions.

LittleRunningGag

Electoral Member
Jan 11, 2006
Calgary, Alberta
members.shaw.ca
Libertarianism != Anarchy

Think of libertarians as being (very basically) conservative fiscally, liberal socially. They do not advocate for the elimination of all government. They do advocate for the reduction of government involvement in our personal lives.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net

Your thoughts....
You obviously know very little of libertarianism.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
I happen to be libertarian. Although, I guess I don't really "frequent" this forum so much as I "occasion" it.

Although anarchy is a form of libertarianism to some people, it is not the unique form. In fact I argue that the only point of government is to regulate those areas which won't regulate themselves. Discrimination is such an example.

With regards to drug use, prostitution and some other issues: there is some harm caused by actions which generally only affect the individuals involved only in cases taken to the extreme. It has widely been shown that classical criminalization of these activities exacerbates the negative aspects while contemporary socialization, education and outreach is far more effective in the prevention of real harm.

So, in fact, you see me advocating for less legislation of personal lives and more education about proper living. Not really anarchy.

Reactions: Tonington

gc

Electoral Member
May 9, 2006
Libertarianism = small government
Anarchism = no government

...at least that is my understanding. Given that definition, I tend to be somewhat of a libertarian.

gc

Electoral Member
May 9, 2006
is libertarianism different to liberalism?

Libertarianism is about small government, which is different from liberalism. Basically, (as LittleRunningGag pointed out) both libertarians and liberals tend to be left-wing on social policies. The difference is that libertarians tend to be more to the right economically than liberals.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Libertarians have never been able to convince a wide audience that their ideas will work. Certainly, Libertarians themselves are wonderful folk, imbued with the best that makes for great societies. But most people aren't like them. They lack the pluck and resolution, self-reliance and focus that true Libertarians have. I like to listen to the L's but really they're like the spotted goats in the pasture; they'll never form a majority.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
Libertarians have never been able to convince a wide audience that their ideas will work. Certainly, Libertarians themselves are wonderful folk, imbued with the best that makes for great societies. But most people aren't like them. They lack the pluck and resolution, self-reliance and focus that true Libertarians have. I like to listen to the L's but really they're like the spotted goats in the pasture; they'll never form a majority.

Haha, I think that is really well put. I do hold the hope that someday we will stop prosecuting for victimless crimes though, that someday the majority will see the dehumanizing folly of it.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
Political-economic libertarians have a quaint way of not squaring ideology with reality in the political arena. Any minarchist worth his or her salt relies on the artifice of externalities to maintain the veneer of responsibility and expects a piece of paper to maintain the balance of power.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
WTF? Libertarians are all about taking personal responsibility. Libertarianism is about not relying on others to carry you because you can't be bothered to do it yourself. It is about everyone living in a way that fits them, so long as it doesn't interfere with the lives of others. And not trying to force your opinions on others just because they disagree with you.

I was questoning the thread starter who was somewhat insinuating they are ruining society - or something to that effect. I of course know that all along - that they are accountable that is. :wave:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

Your thoughts....

I think you're lumping two seperate political views in as one. Just because you're not a fan of libertarianism, doesn't mean you can successfully lump it in with the extremist views of anarchists. It's similar to calling anyone who agrees with the importance of social programs a communist. They may be found near one another on the same political spectrum, but, they differ regardless.

lib·er·tar·i·an
(lĭb'ər-târ'ē-ən) Pronunciation Key
n.
  1. One who advocates maximizing individual rights and minimizing the role of the state.
  2. One who believes in free will.

an·ar·chist
/ˈæn
ər
kɪst/
Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[an-er-kist] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation –noun 1.a person who advocates or believes in anarchy or anarchism. 2.a person who seeks to overturn by violence all constituted forms and institutions of society and government, with no purpose of establishing any other system of order in the place of that destroyed. 3.a person who promotes disorder or excites revolt against any established rule, law, or custom.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

Problem is, somebody still has to build the cars, trucks, busses, refrigerators, and all the things we need as well as grow the food, produce the power haul away the garbage, etc. All of these industries must be controlled to some extent by government to ensure that people are safe. Whether we like it or not, in a country the size of Canada, all that takes a fair size government.
I have listened to Libertarians talk and I can't see it working in anything but a commune or a small town.

Reactions: tamarin