Does anyone like Dr. Laura?

Said1
I've just finished reading 10 stupid things women do to screw up their lives and 10 stupid things for men. I find I agree with her more now at 34 than I did at 24. Weird.

Thoughts?

sanctus
Quote: Originally Posted by Said1View Post

I've just finished reading 10 stupid things women do to screw up their lives and 10 stupid things for men. I find I agree with her more now at 34 than I did at 24. Weird.

Thoughts?

First, who is Dr. Laura? Second, what are the "things"?

El Barto
what are those stupid things.
is it like not being precise?

eh1eh
If you knew who Dr Lauara was then you would know. Hell, If I knew who she was I would Know. Either way I caan't beleive there's only 10.

El Barto
Any clue to where we can see this?

Said1
Holy cow. I thought she was more popular.

www.drlaura.com/main/ (external - login to view)

eh1eh
Quote: Originally Posted by El BartoView Post

Any clue to where we can see this?

OK, you can see here. www.drlaura.com/main/ (external - login to view)
She's a self help book writer.

eh1eh

Holy cow. I thought she was more popular.

www.drlaura.com/main/ (external - login to view)

Umm, For women I would think. But I had heard of her I realised after seeing the site.

darkbeaver
Couldn't find the ten thingys your talking about at the link Said.

Said1
Quote: Originally Posted by eh1ehView Post

OK, you can see here. www.drlaura.com/main/ (external - login to view)
She's a self help book writer.

She's had a call in show for years too.

snowles
Dr. Laura, not so much.

Sue the Sex Lady, very much. I saw her give a free lecture in one of my early years of university; they stuffed the 800-seat capacity place 200 people over, and turned another 1,000 away at the door. There were people standing outside the hall to hear her speak; outside, in the cold. In January. Needless to say, she was great.

El Barto
can you post what those ten things are?

eh1eh

can you post what those ten things are?

You have to buy the book silly

El Barto
Doh !

eh1eh

Doh !

Maybe Said1 will have mercy and enlighten us.

El Barto
or unless she likes us men to look dumb

tamarin
Dr. Laura's career took a big hit when she took on homosexuals. Can't fight the trend. She's still a strong voice for common sense in relationships. And that's especially needed in this age of obvious decline.

Said1
Quote: Originally Posted by eh1ehView Post

Maybe Said1 will have mercy and enlighten us.

She's VERY conservative. Religious and ......

Said1
Quote: Originally Posted by tamarinView Post

Dr. Laura's career took a big hit when she took on homosexuals. Can't fight the trend. She's still a strong voice for common sense in relationships. And that's especially needed in this age of obvious decline.

Her career also took a big hit when an ex lover published (sold or whatever) naked pictures of her. She preaches no sex before marraige....if you can. She's somewhat realistic.

Sparrow
The best book for men and women is: Men are from Mars and Women are from Venus by John Gray PhD
As well as being a guide in communication, there are times you will have a good laugh. It is not a heavy read and treats both sides of the picture.

Dexter Sinister
Quote: Originally Posted by sanctusView Post

First, who is Dr. Laura?

Nobody important, really. She's Laura Schlessinger, a US radio personality who dispenses advice to people who call in to her radio show and writes various kinds of self-help books about families and relationships. I don't know if she's still on the air or not. She's generally sensible and admirably tough-minded, though the few times I've heard her program what struck me most strongly was what idiots most of the callers were, to be unable to figure out an answer to the kinds of questions she gets asked. Typical example: "I've just caught my husband having an affair for the third time since we got married ten years ago, he says he's broken it off now, swears he'll never do it again, and says he loves me. Should I believe him?" (D'uh! NO!)

She's also, she says, an observant Orthodox Jew. Her "taking on homosexuality" refers to a program from a few years ago in which she flatly stated that it's an abomination according to Leviticus 18:22 and cannot be condoned in any circumstances. She doesn't generally use arguments from authority like that; I think she just cherry-picked that one because it matches her position and it's easier than trying to make a reasoned case. I've never heard her suggest stoning adulterers to death as the OT directs, despite many callers making complaints about adulterous spouses.

darkbeaver
Quote: Originally Posted by SparrowView Post

The best book for men and women is: Men are from Mars and Women are from Venus by John Gray PhD
As well as being a guide in communication, there are times you will have a good laugh. It is not a heavy read and treats both sides of the picture.

I read it and it was fairly funny.

sanctus
Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter SinisterView Post

Nobody important, really. She's Laura Schlessinger, a US radio personality who dispenses advice to people who call in to her radio show and writes various kinds of self-help books about families and relationships. I don't know if she's still on the air or not. She's generally sensible and admirably tough-minded, though the few times I've heard her program what struck me most strongly was what idiots most of the callers were, to be unable to figure out an answer to the kinds of questions she gets asked. Typical example: "I've just caught my husband having an affair for the third time since we got married ten years ago, he says he's broken it off now, swears he'll never do it again, and says he loves me. Should I believe him?" (D'uh! NO!)
She's also, she says, an observant Orthodox Jew. Her "taking on homosexuality" refers to a program from a few years ago in which she flatly stated that it's an abomination according to Leviticus 18:22 and cannot be condoned in any circumstances. She doesn't generally use arguments from authority like that; I think she just cherry-picked that one because it matches her position and it's easier than trying to make a reasoned case. I've never heard her suggest stoning adulterers to death as the OT directs, despite many callers making complaints about adulterous spouses.

Quote has been trimmed, See full post: View Post
Is she very popular in the USA?

Dexter Sinister
I don't really know. She certainly was once, but I haven't followed her career so I know nothing about her current status. I find it kind of pathetic, really, that somebody can do as well as she did simply by providing the obvious answers to stupid questions.

Kreskin
A little too judgmental for my liking.

eh1eh

She's VERY conservative. Religious and ......

'nuff for me.

Said1
Quote: Originally Posted by KreskinView Post

A little too judgmental for my liking.

Just curious, why do you find her judgemental. I find she makes you thing. I don't always agree, but she certainly makes me think about thing. Sometimes. I am right occasionally.

gopher
the following quote got her into some difficulty:

McCARTHYISM
"The well-funded and well-connected homosexual activist movement has become the McCarthyism of the 21st century."

- 5/13/00, Deseret News.

I guess she mustn't like Republicans since there are so many in that particular movement ...

L Gilbert
I never heard of her. Shelley says she has but doesn't know anything about the lady. Looks to me like she's another one of those psychologists with a fetish for celebrity like Dr. Phil.
Heh heh, maybe Shel and I should write a book about relationships. Half a dozen 3 page chapters and one 300 page chapter on makin whooppee.

talloola
I like some of her advice, but I have also been disappointed in other advice she has given young
mothers. Especially mothers who have children from more than one marriage. I have heard her
talk "down" to them, in a way that would make them feel they have done something wrong by
having a child with a first husband, then another child from the second husband, and when that
marriage is not working, (for whatever reason), she "scolds" them for having children with
different husbands, her wording to them is not polite and considerate at all, but hurtful, as if
trying to make them feel "cheap".
This is a pattern of hers, on many calls.