Recipe swap: Jelly Mousse anyone?

Libra Girl

Electoral Member
Feb 27, 2006
Jelly Mousse

I love to bake/cook; I don't know why, it just soothes me after a long day, or when I'm stressed out. Though I generally put my all into the process, I sometimes need a quick recipe for unforseen events such as surprise guests etc. I thought I'd start a thread with recipe swaps in mind, and here's one that is relatively easy and so quick, even the guys could do this one, lol... just kidding; I know some of you are great cooks!

The ingredients: I jelly of your favorite flavor: One large can of evaporated milk; generally around 400g I think.

Be warned though.. this recipe make a huge amount of mousse, and since it won't keep too well, say, longer than a day, it might be best suited to those with a rather large family, or who are expecting guests.

The first thing to do is dice the jelly, place into a measuring jug and pour (one quarter of a pint(5 fluid ounces) of boiled water over it. If it doesn't melt quickly enough, melt it in the microwave for a second or two.

Leave the jelly to cool, but NOT set! One can put it into the fridge, but would have to watch carefully in order to keep it liquid.

When the jelly has cooled to room temperature, open the can of evaporated milk and pour into a mixing bowl.

You will need an electric mixer to whisk the evaporated milk because it does take a considerable time to bring it to the right consistency, which should be firm. test it by lifting the mixer out of the bowl, peaks should form on the mixture. I can't empahise this enough, regarding the firmness of the mixture.

When you have the mixture of the evaporated milk to the right consistency, and the jelly is at room temperature, slowly pour the jelly into the mixture, gently stirring at the same time.

When the mixture is completely mixed to the color of the jelly of your choice, place the mixing bowl into the fridge to cool and set for, around two hours, but perhaps longer, depending on what setting you have to your fridge.

For those of you who are more adventurous, you could pour the completed mixture into a large, (a very large, lol) jelly mould to set... whilst it is setting a ginger biscuit/cookie base can be prepared for the jelly mouse. It's simply yummy; the recipe was given to me by an Australian.

I like to make casserole dishes; does anyone have any good recipes?

Last edited:

Sparrow

Council Member
Nov 12, 2006
Quebec
Here is a tuna casserole to die for:

1 1/2 cups uncooked macaroni
Cook until just tender the drain

6 1/2 oz. can of flaked white tuna
10 oz can cream of celery soup
1/2 milk
1 to 1/2 cups cubbed cheddar cheese, medium strength
1/3 cup fine dry bread crumbs
2 tblsp melted butter

Put macaroni in casserole, add tuna and toss. In a saucepan put soup and milk, heat until blended add the cheese cook until the cheese is melted. Pour over macaroni and tuna, mix lightly.
Add crumbs to melted butter, mix. Sprinkle over casserole.
Cook at 350F for 20 minutes.

I would have another for you but I need to know if you have a microwave and if it is strong enough to cook in it. If so let me know because I have a great recipie for "Texas Meatballs and Rice"

Libra Girl

Electoral Member
Feb 27, 2006
Thank you for the recipe Sparrow, I am definitely going to try it! And yes, I do have a microwave. I would love to try the Texas Meatballs and Rice. :)

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
I've been looking over the possibilities of my new rice cooker. So far all i've used it for is plain rice and pre-packaged risottos, both of which it makes with ease. I've just finished reading that it is in fact possible to make bread and cakes in it too. I'm definately gonna give that a go

Sparrow

Council Member
Nov 12, 2006
Quebec
Texas Meatballs and Rice

1 lb. ground beef
1 egg slightly beaten
1 1/2 chili powder (I omit too hot)
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper ( I increase it to 1/2 tsp. to replace the chili powder)
1 can (19 oz) stewed tomatoes
1 large onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings (I put 2 because we love onions)
1 garlic clove finely chopped
1 large green bell pepper (sometimes I put it in and somtimes not or replace with a red one)
3/4 cup uncooked instant rice (Minute Rice)

Mix ground bee, egg, chili powder, salt and pepper. Shape into 1 1/2 balls. Place in a 2qt. casserole. Microwave on high (100%) until meatballs are set and lose pink color, 4 to 7 minutes, rearrange meatballs after half the cooking time.

Stir in remaining ingredients; cover. Microwate at high until mixture is bubbly and onions are tender, 4 to 7 minutes. Stir after half the cooking time. Let stand until rice is tender, 2 to 3 minutes.

Good luck

Libra Girl

Electoral Member
Feb 27, 2006
I've been looking over the possibilities of my new rice cooker. So far all i've used it for is plain rice and pre-packaged risottos, both of which it makes with ease. I've just finished reading that it is in fact possible to make bread and cakes in it too. I'm definately gonna give that a go

Good for you hermanntrude! I quite like to make bread, and enjoy baking cakes.. I'll look out some of my recipes and post them!

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
I just finished Leftovers and a movie. leftover white chinese rice, leftover gravy and what was left in the sourcream container lol Mix it up and its souped up rice. Not bad if I do say so myself.

Libra Girl

Electoral Member
Feb 27, 2006
Texas Meatballs and Rice

1 lb. ground beef
1 egg slightly beaten
1 1/2 chili powder (I omit too hot)
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper ( I increase it to 1/2 tsp. to replace the chili powder)
1 can (19 oz) stewed tomatoes
1 large onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings (I put 2 because we love onions)
1 garlic clove finely chopped
1 large green bell pepper (sometimes I put it in and somtimes not or replace with a red one)
3/4 cup uncooked instant rice (Minute Rice)

Mix ground bee, egg, chili powder, salt and pepper. Shape into 1 1/2 balls. Place in a 2qt. casserole. Microwave on high (100%) until meatballs are set and lose pink color, 4 to 7 minutes, rearrange meatballs after half the cooking time.

Stir in remaining ingredients; cover. Microwate at high until mixture is bubbly and onions are tender, 4 to 7 minutes. Stir after half the cooking time. Let stand until rice is tender, 2 to 3 minutes.

Good luck

This really sounds delicious, and, so quick to prepare and cook. Thanks Sparrow.

Libra Girl

Electoral Member
Feb 27, 2006
I just finished Leftovers and a movie. leftover white chinese rice, leftover gravy and what was left in the sourcream container lol Mix it up and its souped up rice. Not bad if I do say so myself.

lol Tam, sounds nice though..

Sparrow

Council Member
Nov 12, 2006
Quebec
Never had one of those things, I always cook my rice in the microwave and it is always perfect.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
if i put anything water based in my microwave it boils over alarmingly and causes sparks and scary things. I am constantly amazed at reports of microwave cooking of rice

Sparrow

Council Member
Nov 12, 2006
Quebec
Ok here is how I do it.

First of all the container has to be the right size. If I want to cook 4 cups of minute rice I use my 8 cup pyrex measuring cup.

I chop celery, onion, garlic and any other vegetable I want to add. Then I put them in the measuring cup and add 4 small pieces of butter. The microwave on high (100%) for 5 minutes. In the meantime I mix 4 cups beef or chicken broth with about 2 tblsp of soya sauce and some pepper. When the vegetables are done add this mixture to the measuring cup. Microwave on high until boiling, watch it because it can spill over. Remove and a few grains of rice at first and wait until it stops foaming, they add a few more. When there is no more form add the rest of the rice. Microwave on high until you see bubbling at the bottom then reprogram the oven for 4 minutes at power level 5. Your rice is done! Taste the rice, if it needs a little more cooking let in stand a bit.

Oh I forgot to say that I put a dish over the measuring cup but when I put it back in with the rice I move it slightly to the side.

But I must say those sparks worry me. Are you sure you microwave is in good working order? Maybe you should have it checked, it could be dangerous.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
here's how i do it: Bung in the rice and some water and whatever else u want, put the lid on, switch the cooker to "cook" and then walk away. When i hear the click of the cooker switching to "warm" i eat it.

Sparrow

Council Member
Nov 12, 2006
Quebec
Sounds good, I love rice maybe I will get one sure is faster than in the microwave. I could ask for one for my birthday!

Thanks

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
what i like about the rice cooker is it takes no maintainance at all. you just walk away, it can't burn it and it wont undercook it unless u dont put enough water in. and it works as a storage vessel for the rice and can reheat cold rice too

Libra Girl

Electoral Member
Feb 27, 2006
what i like about the rice cooker is it takes no maintainance at all. you just walk away, it can't burn it and it wont undercook it unless u dont put enough water in. and it works as a storage vessel for the rice and can reheat cold rice too

Having listened to you, I am definitely gonna get one also! Of course, I could do rice in the steamer, but don't, I do it in the microwave too; but your way sounds like less hassle, especially if one is pushed for time.

Libra Girl

Electoral Member
Feb 27, 2006
CHEDDAR PENNIES

Ingredients

2oz (50g) Butter
4oz (115g) Cheddar Cheese (grated)
1.5 (40g) plain flour
Pinch of Salt
Pinch of Chili (optional)

Place the butter into a large bowl, and cut into cubes. Using a wooden spoon, cream the butter until soft and fluffy.

Stir in the Cheese,Flour, Salt and, if you wish, the Chili. Transfer the mixture to a lightly floured surface, and roll, or shape into cylindrical roll, diameter of one and a quarter (3cm) roll. Cover with greaseproof paper, and leave to chill in the fridge for 1-2 hours.

Preheat the oven to 350'F / 180'C, gas mark 4

Grease some baking trays, however many it will take for the rolls. remove the mixture from the fridge and cut into thick slices, around a quarter to half an inch thick, and bake for approximately 15 mins, or until golden in color. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Enjoy!

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
Having listened to you, I am definitely gonna get one also! Of course, I could do rice in the steamer, but don't, I do it in the microwave too; but your way sounds like less hassle, especially if one is pushed for time.

it still takes as long as it would on the stove but you don't have to think about it

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Ribs done in a slow cooker.

Get some ribs, club house pork bbq mixture and your favorite bbq sauce.

Remove membrane on the bone side of ribs.....this can be tricky.

Boil the ribs for about 8 minutes with some pepper corns.

Rub club house mixture lightly on ribs (you can coat them with yellow mustard before the spice if you want but I only do that when I use a smoker)

Place ribs in slow cooker and dump your entire bottle of bbq sauce in with them and cook on slow for 8hrs or high for 6 but it's better if you do it slow.

Good luck in getting them out in one piece.

Serve with garlic mash and greens.