Double Standard: Conservative Young People + Liberal Young People

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
I watched The View today, for lack of anything better to do.

Now Rosie is a liberal woman, and Elizabeth the young married mother of 2 kids, who is conservative.

They got in a little battle today.

Rosie, said, something along the lines of:

Your young, you don't know better, come back to me when your 45, and you'll know better

Elizabeth responds:

Thats an ageist comment, discrediting my beliefs based on age

Rosie says:

I disagree with you on so many things, that its the only way I keep myself from getting angry, by thinking to myself your not old enough to understand.

They cut her off commercial, end of that.

Now my feelings are, noones values and beliefs should be discredited based on their age, if they are 18+, they are an adult. In fact I believe most young people are more in depth and intelligent then the 45 + crowd.

Now the double standard is:

Your a young Conservative: your ignorant, not old enough to understand, need to be more experienced, your flawed with your immaturity.

Your a young Liberal: your intelligent, you in depth, smart, mature, worldy,

This is personal for me as a young Conservative in my 20s, like Elizabeth, I face this, where my Conservative views are discredited with my age.

So your flawed if your a young conservative
So your bright and an intellect if your a young liberal.

Thoughts?

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I agree with you. Not everyone who reaches 45 has the same outlook as Rosie. She's kind of stuck on herself. Chalk it up to bull****.

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
Just a off-topic chat.

Also, look at the baby-boomers, they were the "liberals" of their day, and now that they are older we classify most of them as "conservative"

Maybe their is hope for this generation... doubt it though, this is one generation that the liberal views don't die out with old age.

I guess I am unique, conservaitve born and raised, and will be one for the rest of my life.

Will raise my kids with the same morals and ideology,

Ok, um I believe in a culture war... others don't, I do.

The Conservative/Liberal + Religious/Atheist divide is growing, soon this is going to come to a head and get dirty.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Some interesting trends in how our population is changing. No religious affiliation accounts for the second largest category, 1/3 of the Roman Catholic faith, and growing faster by a factor of almost ten. Interestingly enough, the Pagan segment is growing fastest of all reported categories.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Hmmm, elections Canada might have some suitable stats for that, I'll have to check. Don't hold your breath Les on the sensible part.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Yah, I'm not finding anything useful either, found voter turn-out and a break down of votes by riding, but that would be a bitsh to compile..

LittleRunningGag

Electoral Member
Jan 11, 2006
Calgary, Alberta
members.shaw.ca
Your a young Conservative: your ignorant, not old enough to understand, need to be more experienced, your flawed with your immaturity.

Your a young Liberal: your intelligent, you in depth, smart, mature, worldy,

This is personal for me as a young Conservative in my 20s, like Elizabeth, I face this, where my Conservative views are discredited with my age.

So your flawed if your a young conservative
So your bright and an intellect if your a young liberal.

Thoughts?

I disagree. I have been a conservative, a liberal, and a libertarian. And I'm only 22. What I've found is that no matter where you sit on the spectrum, there will always be someone trying to discredit your views because they are different from their's. One of the ways they do that is ageism. And that comes from people no matter what side of the line you sit.

On the other hand, I've also found that the level of respect that you show other peoples' views, tends to be reflected back to your's. If all your comments are full of condesention, you are going to get it right back.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
lol
I'm a centrist & minarchist. I get all the names flung at me. I guess it's sinful to prefer keeping the good points of all the philosophies and chucking the rest out. "You gotta pick a side". :D Well, I usually pick the rational side. ;)

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
FYI, I am converting to the Roman Catholic church soon! Next few months I'll join.

People confuse it by saying Muslim is the largest religion in the world.

Believers in the Bible is the biggest religion.

Also rational is in the eye of the opinionater.

shady01

Feb 25, 2007
I watched The View today, for lack of anything better to do.

If you don't mind me saying, you seem to be lacking a purpose in your life. Once you find a purpose you won't need to keep switching religions. I would strongly suggest that you seek councelling on the matter while you are still young.

If you are interested in further discussion then you can p.m. me on this board or email me.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Roman Catholic is good exercise too, like stepercise class I always thought. Stand up, sit down, kneel, repeat.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
FYI, I am converting to the Roman Catholic church soon! Next few months I'll join.

What made you decide you want to switch to Catholicism? And what denomination are you now? I'm always curious when people choose between two different Christian denominations.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Good for you.

So?

Not so, being rational is being reasonable, logical, or level-headed. The other side would be like being emotional, compulsive, or impulsive.
For instance, being rational would be to accept the good aspects of a couple political systems and throw out the bad aspects. Being irrational would be to choose one and then rant against the other without accepting that the one you chose had bad aspects.

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
I am not switching religions, I am going over to the Catholic denomniations.

And that is an insult to say I have no purpose in life. Yesterday, I had the morning off and I was relaxing from writing up a report on the computer, and flipped through some channels, and I fell on The View and watched a bit of it.

Who are you to judge my life? How dare you.

I was a non-church-goer Christian before, and I realized I needed the church in my life. I went from nothing to something, no switching.

I got to get off this thread, getting angry. Enjoy yourselves :mad: