American stereotypes of Canadians! (Stereotypes Of Canadians)

westmanguy
Ok, for some reason when I am visiting friends in the USA they laugh like its the funniest thing they ever heard when I say "about" or "roof"

I think it may have to do with South Park.

One time when I was in Texas, they asked me if the snow ever melts up there.

Politically, every American I have met, assumes I am a secular progressive, liberal, who is probably atheist.

And they complain because we are not in Iraq, and they actually are not knowledgeable about us being in Afghanistan.

I get shocked my some of the generalizations and stereotypes Americans get of us!

Its a good laugh though!

Share you stories.

Tonington
I met this gal from Pittsburgh in Toronto aiport one Christmas during a snow storm, she was an actress studying at Carnegie Melon. We yacked and drank for a good 4 or 5 hours. She showed me her George Bush deck of cards, my favorite was one of the aces where he was dressed in leather in a Gay Pride parade. She was as Liberal as any Liberal Canadian I ever met, hell I would have gone to England with her if I didn't have a girlfriend at the time.

L Gilbert
"American stereotypes of Canadians! " ......... are funny.

Kreskin
They think we smoke a lot of meat.

DurkaDurka
What if the thread was European stereotypes of Canadians? Would we hear anything different?

snfu73
I don't think that American's stereotype Canadians anymore than Canadians stereotype Americans...or, anyone else stereotypes anyone else, really. That's nationalism for ya...

I always have to battle the notion that americans are conservative, pushy, bossy, mean spirited, self absorbed, gun toting, ignorant folks. Sure...some are...but so are many Canadians. There are alot of wonderful people in the US...just as there are in Canada...and any other place on earth...moderate, regular, average joes...nice folks...good folks.

selfactivated
Maybe Im strange but I dont steriotype anyone not even my cat (ok I do religion)

snfu73
Oh come on...we all stereotype a bit...you can't honestly say that....can you?? Really?

Toro
Ya'll are a nice bunch of beer-drinking fur trappers.

snfu73
Quote: Originally Posted by ToroView Post

Thanks...ya gun totin, rootin, tootin, country invadin', unknowledgable friend to our south...

DurkaDurka

thems are fighing words, meet my bayonet.

I think not
Congratulations on your national igloo eh.

DurkaDurka
Quote: Originally Posted by I think notView Post

Are you refering to the Skydome?

Toro
And the national mode of transportation - the dog sled!

hermanntrude
the americans found out about canada? when?

hermanntrude
seriously though i've no idea what an average american is like but i suspect our view on their stereotypes of us are affected by OUR stereotypes of THEM, which may well be as skewed as theirs of us.

Toro
You drink warm beer and play darts all day long, don't you?

Toro
Quote: Originally Posted by hermanntrudeView Post

the americans found out about canada? when?

We're very fond of our southern neighbor.

DurkaDurka

You drink warm beer and play darts all day long, don't you?

better warm beer then coors light chump.

Toro
Quote: Originally Posted by DurkaDurkaView Post

better warm beer then coors light chump.

You mean that beer that's owned by Molson's?

Coors. Molsons. Labatts. Its all just cooking beer anyways.

hermanntrude
i love beer at any temperature and a good game of darts only takes 2 hours when you're as awful at it as i am

DurkaDurka

You mean that beer that's owned by Molson's?

Coors. Molsons. Labatts. Its all just cooking beer anyways.

Have you had cremore? or Moosehead?

US has some good beers too, Samuel Adams comes to mind first.

Toro
Creemore is frickin' awesome!

I used to sell beer in Ontario for a living, and I went to the brewery in Creemore. I absolutely love the stuff.

I think they make better beer out west though - Big Rock, Shaftsbury, etc.

hermanntrude
my favourite beer is currently newcastle brown ale. it changes though when i get bored with something.

Toro
Quote: Originally Posted by hermanntrudeView Post

my favourite beer is currently newcastle brown ale. it changes though when i get bored with something.

I worked at this pub on Fleet Street

I believe the building next door to the right is Goldman Sachs. Or Morgan Stanley, I can't remember. Anyways, its the old Telegraph building. When I worked there, Irish guys and a whole lot of fellows from Tyneside used to come in at lunch and after work. They were all blue-collar, working class guys who were working to convert the building from a newspaper building to an investment bank. The Tynesiders would order Newky Brown, the Irish Guiness. They told me it was the working class beer. Here in America, when I go to the most expensive restaurant in my Florida city, Newcaste Brown Ale is served as the high-end beer. Its funny how products are branded.

hermanntrude
yeah i noticed it's expensive here too. it's not very cheap in england but still thought of as a working class beer. probably because it says newcastle on the label.

DurkaDurka

Creemore is frickin' awesome!

I used to sell beer in Ontario for a living, and I went to the brewery in Creemore. I absolutely love the stuff.

I think they make better beer out west though - Big Rock, Shaftsbury, etc.

Cheers for Toro!

I haven't had many west coast beers . Have any to suggest that are available at the LCBO?

Kreskin
Quote: Originally Posted by I think notView Post

We're contracting Al Gore to maintain it.