CBC: The National /versus/ Global National /versus/ CTV National News

Which newscast!

• Total voters

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
I have a question, who do you watch for your Canadian TV News?

Here is how the ratings go:

#1 - Global National
#2 - CTV National News
#3 - CBC: The National

And another reverse interesting fact: The amount of $$ spent on their newscast:

#1 - CBC: The National - spends the MOST on their newscast compered to other 2
#2 - CTV National News - spends the second most on their newscast
#3 - Global National - spends the least

interesting, eh!?

So, for me, I never got time for Global National at 5:30, so I am a CTV National News guy, I got satellite so watch it at 10 pm CST.

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
CBC is biased, they are sitting in the Liberals laps... they are so biased to the Conservatives.

CTV is not much better... but not as bad

Global is more objectional then any of them.

snowles

Electoral Member
May 21, 2006
Atikokan, Ontario
I'm a National guy. The stories they produce are miles ahead of those on the other networks, and their documentarys and magazines are second to none in the world. There are also way too many Conservatives involved in the braintrust of CTV News for my liking - Allan Gregg and Robert Fife, I'm looking at you. I'm also not a big fan of how many clips CTV uses from ABC and CNN; if I wanted American news, I'd turn to ABC and CNN.

Plus Knowlton Nash was the bomb; the man was untouchable. And I have to stick up for fellow alumni Peter Mansbridge.

Global National is only half as long per episode than the others, thus it would be surprising if they were anything but the cheapest show. They also have the weakest coverage and the least national programming, and are quite regional in comparison. All three are measured differently because of their timeslots and the days they air - all three have a claim to being the top rated newscast, depending on the criteria used. All three pale in visual comparison to Naked News. :laughing7:

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
There are not enough choices West. There are a multitude of other news sources. Mine are not on your list. I am a 45 year old small bussisness owner. I get my news everywhere. The more the merrier. In fact I have caught the three you mention lieing so many times I give them 0, that's ZERO creditbility.
I only watch Dave for the wethaer, channel nine, Toronto.:wave:

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
I'm a National guy. The stories they produce are miles ahead of those on the other networks, and their documentarys and magazines are second to none in the world. There are also way too many Conservatives involved in the braintrust of CTV News for my liking - Allan Gregg and Robert Fife, I'm looking at you. I'm also not a big fan of how many clips CTV uses from ABC and CNN; if I wanted American news, I'd turn to ABC and CNN.

Plus Knowlton Nash was the bomb; the man was untouchable. And I have to stick up for fellow alumni Peter Mansbridge.

Global National is only half as long per episode than the others, thus it would be surprising if they were anything but the cheapest show. They also have the weakest coverage and the least national programming, and are quite regional in comparison. All three are measured differently because of their timeslots and the days they air - all three have a claim to being the top rated newscast, depending on the criteria used. All three pale in visual comparison to Naked News. :laughing7:

I'm with you, I don't trust anything but the National as credible:) For International News though, I like BBC World.

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
sanctus! I'm shocked.. any person of religious persuasion, knows the CBC presents religious stories in a biased format, siding with the atheist groups in the way its presented (seen it many times).

-------

(no longer related to sanctus, but general comments) - #1 I am talking about TV news and the big 3, but if people would like to talk about where they get all their media from, thats A O.K.!!!

I don't trust any newsource that is funded and owned by the gov... CBC.. and (sanctus) BBC is funded and owned by the British gov... your getting gov. funded/owned news!

My news sources are:

CTV National New /w Lloyd Robertson
Winnipeg Free Press
Local town newspaper
FOX News Channel - I watch this channel 1-3 channels each day.

I am a big FOX guy, BIG-TIME FOX. FOX News Channel has really gained my trust, and they seem genuine to bring the news and issues to me in a good format.

So lets just let it spin off into a media sources talk...

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Anyone who watches a news broadcast of any sort should realize they aren't infallable in their bias. Maybe they ought to just outright acknowledge their bias instead of pretending to be the most "balanced", whatever the hell that is.

Death to "conventional" media! Better to do as others here do and peruse the various news sites on the internet, maybe a little compare and contrast, fact checking if it's possible, and treat op-eds as just that.

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
sanctus! I'm shocked.. any person of religious persuasion, knows the CBC presents religious stories in a biased format, siding with the atheist groups in the way its presented (seen it many times).

I don't watch the news for religious information. But for my money, the CBC presents the best national news coverage, and the BBC for international.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
news on the web is not biased? lol.. now thats silly.

Don't put words in my mouth, I said nothing of the sort. In fact I thought I was clear on the fact that all news is biased, and I'm suggesting a broader view rather than a narrow scope such as one might get if they only trust or view one source.

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
I disagree.. I trust FOX News Channel, and on some days, its my exclusive media coverage.

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
Don't put words in my mouth, I said nothing of the sort. In fact I thought I was clear on the fact that all news is biased, and I'm suggesting a broader view rather than a narrow scope such as one might get if they only trust or view one source.

You're right. We were asked our favourites, but I tend to watch or read anything. I do admit I rarely watch or read American news though.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Well that's your prerogative West. To think that any one news source is more objective is out and out false. It's only as objective as it's bias, so you might think a certain bias is less objective than that you hold to, but to call it less objective is plain incorrect.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
You're right. We were asked our favourites, but I tend to watch or read anything. I do admit I rarely watch or read American news though.

I also prefer the National. I would never claim it to be more or less objective, I just happen to prefer their style of broadcast. Mini-documentaries, coverage from coast to coast to coast and I grew up watching it. My grandparents didn't have cable, and CBC is the best choice unless you want to perform some touchy balance with tinfoil/coathangers, etc. If you like flashy newscasts with (my opinion) mediocre content, with flakes and tarts and colour coded meters for whatever catastrophe is "impending", well hands down it's gotta be FOX.

Fingertrouble

Electoral Member
Nov 8, 2006
Calgary
I don't trust any newsource that is funded and owned by the gov... CBC.. and (sanctus) BBC is funded and owned by the British gov... your getting gov. funded/owned news!

I suggest that you do a little more research with regards the BBC. You might say that it is owned by the government, but actually it is a Trust protected by a Royal charter. See the links below:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/info/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctrust/asset...arter_agreement/royalchartersealed_sept06.pdf

All the funding for the BBC comes from the TV licensing that all households have to pay on a yearly basis....hence no advertising!

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
sorry, comment rebutted.

I see big problems with our media though.. most of them tilt left, and have liberal-secular values.

Thats why I eat (sorry,watch) FOX News Channel exclusively, besides Canadian news.

FOX News Channel is fair and balanced and it is the only TV news source that doesn't promote and tilt to the the left.

Its a culture war, and I refuse to support left-winged media operaters.