CBC: The National /versus/ Global National /versus/ CTV National News


View Poll Results: Which newscast!
Global National 2 22.22%
CTV National News 1 11.11%
CBC: The National 6 66.67%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

westmanguy
#1
I have a question, who do you watch for your Canadian TV News?

Here is how the ratings go:

#1 - Global National
#2 - CTV National News
#3 - CBC: The National

And another reverse interesting fact: The amount of $$ spent on their newscast:

#1 - CBC: The National - spends the MOST on their newscast compered to other 2
#2 - CTV National News - spends the second most on their newscast
#3 - Global National - spends the least

interesting, eh!?

So, for me, I never got time for Global National at 5:30, so I am a CTV National News guy, I got satellite so watch it at 10 pm CST.
 
westmanguy
#2
CBC is biased, they are sitting in the Liberals laps... they are so biased to the Conservatives.

CTV is not much better... but not as bad

Global is more objectional then any of them.
 
L Gilbert
#3
I have a question, who do you watch for your Canadian TV News?
I didn't vote.
I rarely watch news and instead read Indies.
 
snowles
#4
I'm a National guy. The stories they produce are miles ahead of those on the other networks, and their documentarys and magazines are second to none in the world. There are also way too many Conservatives involved in the braintrust of CTV News for my liking - Allan Gregg and Robert Fife, I'm looking at you. I'm also not a big fan of how many clips CTV uses from ABC and CNN; if I wanted American news, I'd turn to ABC and CNN.

Plus Knowlton Nash was the bomb; the man was untouchable. And I have to stick up for fellow alumni Peter Mansbridge.

Global National is only half as long per episode than the others, thus it would be surprising if they were anything but the cheapest show. They also have the weakest coverage and the least national programming, and are quite regional in comparison. All three are measured differently because of their timeslots and the days they air - all three have a claim to being the top rated newscast, depending on the criteria used. All three pale in visual comparison to Naked News.
 
karra
#5
The strikingly obvious fault of this poll is,

there is not an option re,

'Anything but Mother Corpse'

'nuff said. . . .
 
eh1eh
#6
There are not enough choices West. There are a multitude of other news sources. Mine are not on your list. I am a 45 year old small bussisness owner. I get my news everywhere. The more the merrier. In fact I have caught the three you mention lieing so many times I give them 0, that's ZERO creditbility.
I only watch Dave for the wethaer, channel nine, Toronto.
 
L Gilbert
#7
I watch BC's CTV weather cuz the girl reminds me a bit of my wife. Mostly I get the weather from Environment Canada, though.
 
sanctus
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by snowlesView Post

I'm a National guy. The stories they produce are miles ahead of those on the other networks, and their documentarys and magazines are second to none in the world. There are also way too many Conservatives involved in the braintrust of CTV News for my liking - Allan Gregg and Robert Fife, I'm looking at you. I'm also not a big fan of how many clips CTV uses from ABC and CNN; if I wanted American news, I'd turn to ABC and CNN.

Plus Knowlton Nash was the bomb; the man was untouchable. And I have to stick up for fellow alumni Peter Mansbridge.

Global National is only half as long per episode than the others, thus it would be surprising if they were anything but the cheapest show. They also have the weakest coverage and the least national programming, and are quite regional in comparison. All three are measured differently because of their timeslots and the days they air - all three have a claim to being the top rated newscast, depending on the criteria used. All three pale in visual comparison to Naked News.

I'm with you, I don't trust anything but the National as credible For International News though, I like BBC World.
 
westmanguy
#9
sanctus! I'm shocked.. any person of religious persuasion, knows the CBC presents religious stories in a biased format, siding with the atheist groups in the way its presented (seen it many times).

-------

(no longer related to sanctus, but general comments) - #1 I am talking about TV news and the big 3, but if people would like to talk about where they get all their media from, thats A O.K.!!!

I don't trust any newsource that is funded and owned by the gov... CBC.. and (sanctus) BBC is funded and owned by the British gov... your getting gov. funded/owned news!

My news sources are:

CTV National New /w Lloyd Robertson
Winnipeg Free Press
Local town newspaper
FOX News Channel - I watch this channel 1-3 channels each day.

I am a big FOX guy, BIG-TIME FOX. FOX News Channel has really gained my trust, and they seem genuine to bring the news and issues to me in a good format.

So lets just let it spin off into a media sources talk...
 
Tonington
#10
Anyone who watches a news broadcast of any sort should realize they aren't infallable in their bias. Maybe they ought to just outright acknowledge their bias instead of pretending to be the most "balanced", whatever the hell that is.


Death to "conventional" media! Better to do as others here do and peruse the various news sites on the internet, maybe a little compare and contrast, fact checking if it's possible, and treat op-eds as just that.
 
sanctus
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by westmanguyView Post

sanctus! I'm shocked.. any person of religious persuasion, knows the CBC presents religious stories in a biased format, siding with the atheist groups in the way its presented (seen it many times).

------...

I don't watch the news for religious information. But for my money, the CBC presents the best national news coverage, and the BBC for international.
 
westmanguy
#12
news on the web is not biased? lol.. now thats silly.
 
Tonington
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by westmanguyView Post

news on the web is not biased? lol.. now thats silly.

Don't put words in my mouth, I said nothing of the sort. In fact I thought I was clear on the fact that all news is biased, and I'm suggesting a broader view rather than a narrow scope such as one might get if they only trust or view one source.
 
westmanguy
#14
I disagree.. I trust FOX News Channel, and on some days, its my exclusive media coverage.
 
sanctus
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by ToningtonView Post

Don't put words in my mouth, I said nothing of the sort. In fact I thought I was clear on the fact that all news is biased, and I'm suggesting a broader view rather than a narrow scope such as one might get if they only trust or view one source.

You're right. We were asked our favourites, but I tend to watch or read anything. I do admit I rarely watch or read American news though.
 
Tonington
#16
Well that's your prerogative West. To think that any one news source is more objective is out and out false. It's only as objective as it's bias, so you might think a certain bias is less objective than that you hold to, but to call it less objective is plain incorrect.
 
Tonington
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by sanctusView Post

You're right. We were asked our favourites, but I tend to watch or read anything. I do admit I rarely watch or read American news though.

I also prefer the National. I would never claim it to be more or less objective, I just happen to prefer their style of broadcast. Mini-documentaries, coverage from coast to coast to coast and I grew up watching it. My grandparents didn't have cable, and CBC is the best choice unless you want to perform some touchy balance with tinfoil/coathangers, etc. If you like flashy newscasts with (my opinion) mediocre content, with flakes and tarts and colour coded meters for whatever catastrophe is "impending", well hands down it's gotta be FOX.
 
Fingertrouble
#18
Quote:

I don't trust any newsource that is funded and owned by the gov... CBC.. and (sanctus) BBC is funded and owned by the British gov... your getting gov. funded/owned news!

I suggest that you do a little more research with regards the BBC. You might say that it is owned by the government, but actually it is a Trust protected by a Royal charter. See the links below:

www.bbc.co.uk/info/ (external - login to view)

www.bbc.co.uk/bbctrust/assets...led_sept06.pdf (external - login to view)

All the funding for the BBC comes from the TV licensing that all households have to pay on a yearly basis....hence no advertising!
 
westmanguy
#19
sorry, comment rebutted.

I see big problems with our media though.. most of them tilt left, and have liberal-secular values.

Thats why I eat (sorry,watch) FOX News Channel exclusively, besides Canadian news.

FOX News Channel is fair and balanced and it is the only TV news source that doesn't promote and tilt to the the left.

Its a culture war, and I refuse to support left-winged media operaters.
 
L Gilbert
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by ToningtonView Post

Don't put words in my mouth, I said nothing of the sort. In fact I thought I was clear on the fact that all news is biased, and I'm suggesting a broader view rather than a narrow scope such as one might get if they only trust or view one source.

Definitely.
 
westmanguy
#21
I read one of the few newspapers not owned by CTVglobemedia or Canwest Global... Winnipeg Free Press.

I watch CTV National News, and I watch 2-3 hours of FOX News Channel every day.

I am addicted to Bill O'Reilly.. I am a premium member on his site! yay! And like watching Greta van Susteren going on The Record.

Then I get my news updates during commercial breaks from my series.

And all my online news... ALL of it comes from FOX News.com

So I don't see a problem with my current media intake.

I don't support media outlets that lean to the left with my viewership.

I love FNCs catch phrases though:

*Music Cued*

The ONLY News Source...
...that does NOT give you...

The Usual Left Wing Bias

FOX News Channel

Fair & Balanced

I love that commercial
 
eh1eh
#22
2 to 3 hours of Fox news a day? You don't like news that tilts to the left and it shows in your opinions. You tend to be tilted well to the right yourself and I think that explains how you could think Fox is unbiased. I find they are a right wing propaganda machine for the US gov.
 

Similar Threads

0
China National News
by china | Apr 13th, 2008
9
National Voting Day
by czardogs | Feb 11th, 2003
no new posts