The Sickness of Canadian Anti-Americanism

MikeyDB
Ottawabill

If you're suggesting that anti-Americanism is a part of Canadian heritage...I don't think anyone really thinks about the war between Canada and the U.S. when we think about "America". Isn't it more likely that the reason why some Canadians are anti-American is because of what's happening in the world today?

Canada is a much smaller country than the U.S., mismanaged for decades and always prepared (Canadian government) to suck-up to the United States in hopes of mooching a little more...

Canadians can't really blame America for our lousy government, we did that to our selves.

ottawabill
Quote: Originally Posted by MikeyDBView Post

Ottawabill

If you're suggesting that anti-Americanism is a part of Canadian heritage...I don't think anyone really thinks about the war between Canada and the U.S. when we think about "America". Isn't it more likely that the reason why some Canadians are anti-American is because of what's happening in the world today?

Canada is a much smaller country than the U.S., mismanaged for decades and always prepared (Canadian government) to suck-up to the United States in hopes of mooching a little more...

Canadians can't really blame America for our lousy government, we did that to our selves.

as much as it's called the Canada/Us war ..it was not... It was the British army against the U.S. with the citizens of Canada and refugee Loyalist Americans caught in the crossfire.. The people of Canada at the time looked to England to protect them..not to each other. The perils of the big bad U.S. have been there for a good long time... Every sice the wars Canada has alway felt threated by the U.S. either thatt they would take us over politically or economically....we have remained fearful, withou\t doing anything about it besides allowing a self fulfillment...

Yes we should only blame ourselves for bad government, lost opportunities etc...but it's easier to blame others.....Just look how Quebec deals with its lot in life..Blame Emglish Canada...No Matter if it has anything to do with it or not...

MikeyDB
I hear ya Ottawa....

Do you think Canadians would be paying Maher Arar ten million dollars if the United States hadn't shipped him off to Syria?

Curiosity
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaverView Post

Actually Curiosity I like what ITN and you are doing, pulled out from under the rocks the light of day whithers and burns to dust the mindless hate you spew. I wonder what a bit of grass would do to your poor mind? A truth you could not handle. You seem to have escaped to a mythical state of constant glorious war, and that's a poor miserable place to dwell. May Allah save you from poverty.

Actually Darkbeaver I like what you are trying to do too....

ITN has offered no opinions - he has posted two articles for discussion. I have queried yet again for a thousandth time why Canadians identify themselves as anti-American - who dislike the nation to the south... I have asked specifically what has the U.S. done to Canada?

Mikey at least gave one example - Maher Arar - when he was shipped to Syria....and did the U.S. insist that Canada pay the man money? Or is Canada willing to spend that kind of money to show the world how the U.S. is so "difficult" to live next door to?

Please demonstrate where I have spewed mindless hate in any of my posts here.... I think you are having a great time with your own fanciful wetdreams....getting off on the U.S. Show me one instance when I have been hateful in my posts on this topic....

Your sarcasm regarding war is not lost on me.... I have lost too many to war... have you?

MikeyDB
Curiosity

Is it unfair or hateful to decry the insanity of the U.S. fomenting another action against Iran?

If it were the British...(whose government I dislike just as much as American government) who had machine-gun patrol boats on the Great Lakes or diverted their water (Garrison Dam project) into Canadian watersheds or it was Britain who chided our nation for not signing onto the Ballistic Missile Defense Initiative...that China has demonstrated as capable of blowing satellites out of the heavens..a chiding that included the smarmy "We'd be there for Canada..."

Lots of reasons Curio...

darkbeaver
I,d like to thank ITN for stimulating the conversation which has been lagging of late.

MikeyDB

I,d like to thank ITN for stimulating the conversation which has been lagging of late.

Beve

Do you think there's a 'rebound' or 'echo' effect being generated here? Kind of like ...Don't think of Elephants and the mind is immediately flooded with images of elephants...

Just wondering...

darkbeaver
Quote: Originally Posted by CuriosityView Post

Actually Darkbeaver I like what you are trying to do too....

ITN has offered no opinions - he has posted two articles for discussion. I have queried yet again for a thousandth time why Canadians identify themselves as anti-American - who dislike the nation to the south... I have asked specifically what has the U.S. done to Canada?

Mikey at least gave one example - Maher Arar - when he was shipped to Syria....and did the U.S. insist that Canada pay the man money? Or is Canada willing to spend that kind of money to show the world how the U.S. is so "difficult" to live next door to?

Please demonstrate where I have spewed mindless hate in any of my posts here.... I think you are having a great time with your own fanciful wetdreams....getting off on the U.S. Show me one instance when I have been hateful in my posts on this topic....

Your sarcasm regarding war is not lost on me.... I have lost too many to war... have you?

I think you've been answered a thousand times about Anti-Americanism, you refuse to hear, or you cannot process the information. The imperialism of America is at this time is the greatest danger faced by the planet, already that country has murdered untold millions in pursuit of wealth.
You are not the only human who has suffered and lost loved ones to war, why can't you see that further murder will heal no one.I the promice of America had ever been sincere we would have long ago defeated poverty, disease and war. Quess what, under American leadership these evils have flourished unabated, do you think the world stupid enough to listen any longer. What you do to the planet you do to us. And let me be perfectly clear Canada is quilty as well, Britian is quilty, I am quilty, anyone who's stood by and allowed or helped things get this phucked up is quilty.
The only reason America is the target is because you provide the leadership, that makes you the logical place to concentrate the effort to shut the corporate death machine down.

darkbeaver
Quote: Originally Posted by MikeyDBView Post

Beve

Do you think there's a 'rebound' or 'echo' effect being generated here? Kind of like ...Don't think of Elephants and the mind is immediately flooded with images of elephants...

Just wondering...

An observation worthy of consideration, I will retire to the smoke and ponder its ramifications.

jimmoyer
I'd like to thank Darkbeaver too.

darkbeaver
Quote: Originally Posted by jimmoyerView Post

I'd like to thank Darkbeaver too.

And thank you as well Jimmoyer. Now that,s a civilized exchange.In my very humble opinion it's something we should all engage in while we still have a planet to discuss.

darkbeaver
quilty=guilty It's beaver code for those of you confused by the poor spelling.

MikeyDB
Man if people reading the slag here at CC get confused by poor spelling...I'm talking to myself most of the time...

My spelling's not too bad but my typing speed has gone way down and typos litter the landscape...

Sparrow
What we don't like about the US is the Administration. I don't know what the problem is the Americans don't like Bush and his gang, what is wrong with us not liking them either. Because of them unforunately the people of the US have become targets of terrorists and even their own government. I have travelled and vacationed in the US and have been perfectly happy with the warmth of the people. I have also meet people who didn't even know were Canada was, but who cares! I also feel that when you are far removed for a situation we tend to see more of the problem, I am sure that the Americans can better see the faults in our government better than we can and visa versa. There is no fault in this in fact it helps us to more clearly. We were here for US planes after 9/11 and we will be here again.

MikeyDB
Sparrow

I agree but I'd support lending aid in an emergency to anyone whether they're American or not. I would endorse providing that aid because the blood that flows inside those people is red...not red white and blue.... they are people first and Americans second. I see it this way but many Americans would have you believe they're Americans first and human beings second...

Curiosity
DarkBeaver -

You are a master of avoidance behavior.... and then turn and accuse me of being informed many times why there is hate against the U.S....... "imperialism" I think was your blanket answer....
again that is not an answer ....

Again I repeat my last question to you:

Quote:

Please demonstrate where I have spewed mindless hate in any of my posts here on this topic....

jimmoyer
Oy veh !!

Even for being our neighbors, you're still outsiders looking in.

You pride yourselves that USonians know nothing of their northern neighbor
who, I might add, carry currency denominations called loonies and two-nees !!!

Over-weening ?

Look it up.

darkbeaver

Oy veh !!

Over-weening ?

Look it up.

Soon we will have a finee, as for being outsiders looking in that's not exactly the same as looking in from Mars, we live next door , we have the best available vantage point, our opinion has the greatest wieght.

MikeyDB
Outsiders looking in...

Isn't it the USonions that want it that way?

darkbeaver

Oy veh !!

Over-weening ?

Look it up.

I looked it up Jimmoyer.Do you mean overly opinionated?

jimmoyer
Darkbeaver, I can't explain it with logic, but you are so far gone, so enamored
by your bitter dark view, that you have reached one of the final chakras of
emancipation which is but one step away from nirvana, from a release so great
that I must bow before your divine comedy !!!

I am not worthy.

All bow.

Keep up the fight.

A world without a Darkbeaver is immeasurably dry, no sparkle, no twinkle.

I've tried the best ad hominen approach I could summon.

#juan

I think you've been answered a thousand times about Anti-Americanism, you refuse to hear, or you cannot process the information. The imperialism of America is at this time is the greatest danger faced by the planet, already that country has murdered untold millions in pursuit of wealth.
You are not the only human who has suffered and lost loved ones to war, why can't you see that further murder will heal no one.I the promice of America had ever been sincere we would have long ago defeated poverty, disease and war. Quess what, under American leadership these evils have flourished unabated, do you think the world stupid enough to listen any longer. What you do to the planet you do to us. And let me be perfectly clear Canada is quilty as well, Britian is quilty, I am quilty, anyone who's stood by and allowed or helped things get this phucked up is quilty.
The only reason America is the target is because you provide the leadership, that makes you the logical place to concentrate the effort to shut the corporate death machine down.

Great post DB. It couldn't be put any simpler than that.

jimmoyer
With all due respect to the #Juan and Darkbeaver who are more multi-dimensional
than their mere opinions posted here, I beg to differ with this righteous attitude
of selectively being indignant with American hypocrisy and not equally of others' hypocrisy.

Even if you all deny being "selectively" indignant, you cannot deny the passion and energy
you bring to this subject above all others.

Thus this selective indignance is a universal human trait. It is common to see people
expect MORE OF THOSE WHO HOLD PROMISE than to expect anything from obvious bad guys
and idiots.

Which means you expect more of us because we're NOT THE BAD GUYS or IDIOTS.

Ironic ???

You don't expect anything from the leaders of Sudan. You don't expect anything from
a Stalin, or a Pol Pot, or from Iran's current President.

Why ?

Because they don't hold out the promise. Do they ?

That's only the first irony YOU GUYS are guilty of.

Wanna know the 2nd IRONY which is much more important and graver ?

A good teacher knows they will receive no support when dealing with a bad child.
No one expects anything of the bad child, but they do expect more from the teacher
and exact a burden so high that the teacher is on their own with no unity, no support.

It is an arrogant blind righteousness this selective indignance.

You might recheck your righteous reasoning on this matter.

MikeyDB
I can't speak for anyone else here Jim but I don't like what America has done and is continuing to do in this world. I also don't know that pulling these monsters out of the hat as rationale for discounting criticism of America really holds much water as an argument. There's nothing the Cambodians or the Russian people or the Sudanese could do in the face of the overwhelming strenght of a cutthroat regime... Whereas the United States has enjoyed virtually none of the destruction experienced by the people you've pointed out....

If America had some legitimate grievance with anyone who'd attacked them...like if Iraq had attacked them I doubt anyone would have a problem with the U.S. responding to protect itself..that's hardly the case with Iraq or Iran.

You call for reasonable-ness, how is what the American government done in nearly a hundred nations around the world reasonable?

darkbeaver
A million and a half dead Iraqis and three million refugees dayly terrorized, and a threatening power mad planet smashing war machine controlled by the most corrupt regime on the planet and you dare mention hypocrisy. This time last year you asked us to consider the iraqis phonex riseing from the desert, get real.

silky
Herman and Dex; Thanks for being able to seperate the people from the govt. This is particularly important since our current government has been erasing the Constitution and has betrayed it's people.

I would also add that I have never been in a conversation with any American where the Canadian people or it's govt. has been bashed. We have so much on our plate to deal with that Canada is not an issue for discussion, and I think mainly the reason is we don't really know that much about you and your culture other than Canada has some of the most beautiful natural environment on earth and has been a good neighbor.

Mexico is another matter entirely, each and every day we are confornted with their invasion and our government's fast track involvement to enchance MX economy with the distribution of wealth from American citizens.

I will venture to say in the next five years the citizens of CA and US will unite forces in a grassroots movement to reclaim our governments.

MikeyDB
What examples of reasonable-ness can we see reflected by the American people when faced with failing idiot arshole presidents?

Nixon...a common thief..a second story man ...a slap on the wrists..

Johnson..at the time Johnson took over American casualties were half of what now graces that black wall in DC. Did any American look for accountability...none.

Ronald Reagan and Oliver North...Broke all kinds of American law and supplied another "sworn-enemy" of America with arms....another slap on the wrist

Bill Clinton so stupid he lets his wiener to the talking to a Whitehouse hanger-on and nearly gets impeached because ...well America can tolerate thousands of young people killed by their administrationa but hey they draw the line when it comes to wienie wagging...

It goes on and on....and you wonder why no one in the world trusts the United States as a concept never mind a nation of 400 million who care more about a dollar and a blow-job....

darkbeaver
blink

hermanntrude
harsh words, but some good points. i thought clinton should have been allowed to rest. we like a good blow job from time to time, and with clinton's looks it must have been a relief

#juan

With all due respect to the #Juan and Darkbeaver who are more multi-dimensional
than their mere opinions posted here, I beg to differ with this righteous attitude
of selectively being indignant with American hypocrisy and not equally of others' hypocrisy.

Even if you all deny being "selectively" indignant, you cannot deny the passion and energy
you bring to this subject above all others.

Thus this selective indignance is a universal human trait. It is common to see people
expect MORE OF THOSE WHO HOLD PROMISE than to expect anything from obvious bad guys
and idiots.

Which means you expect more of us because we're NOT THE BAD GUYS or IDIOTS.

Ironic ???

You don't expect anything from the leaders of Sudan. You don't expect anything from
a Stalin, or a Pol Pot, or from Iran's current President.

Why ?

Because they don't hold out the promise. Do they ?

That's only the first irony YOU GUYS are guilty of.

Wanna know the 2nd IRONY which is much more important and graver ?

A good teacher knows they will receive no support when dealing with a bad child.
No one expects anything of the bad child, but they do expect more from the teacher
and exact a burden so high that the teacher is on their own with no unity, no support.

It is an arrogant blind righteousness this selective indignance.

You might recheck your righteous reasoning on this matter.

I think Jim, you are losing sight of the topic, which is anti-Americanism in Canada. I would be the first to admit that something like anti-Americanism does exist in Canada but I would call it something different. Most Canadians hate and loath what the U.S. has been doing, and is doing around the world. The invasion of Iraq was once called "Operation Iraqi Freedom", I presume, to set it up as some kind of "liberation". Even you have to admit that the wholesale destruction of the infrastructure of every major city in Iraq was not part of what we would normally think of as a liberation. Americans elected G.W. Bush and that was bad enough. Worse, they re-elected him. Bush has been making enemies all over the world. The world thinks you must approve of him since you re-elected him. Most of the world is probably anti-American. Most Canadians can see that the American people are very much like us but don't trust the current administration in the U.S.