93 Pound Tumor Removed From Woman

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
Stephanie Stahl
Reporting

(CBS 3) TULSA, Okla. Can you imagine walking around with a tumor in your belly that weighs 93 pounds and not know it was there?

A 32-year-old woman, who was repeatedly told she needed to lose weight, soon discovered why years of dieting simply didn't work; she was carrying around a 93 pound growth on her ovary.

Taquela Hilton said she struggled with weight for 12 years and during that time, the cyst was never diagnosed.

"I quit going to doctors, every one I went to told me to lose weight and I had tried every diet I could think of," said Hilton.

It was her primary care Doctor Jennifer Cameron who finally figured out it wasn't just a problem with food.

The first clue was her legs.

"The first summer I met her, her legs were too tight, so huge her legs would just crack and weep," said Dr. Cameron of Southcrest Medical Plaza.

Desperate for answers, Dr. Cameron, scheduled exploratory surgery.

During the surgery doctors made the shocking discovery, a 93 pound benign ovarian cyst.

"This was just like a big balloon, a big beach ball," said Dr. Cameron.

Since the surgery three weeks ago Taquela has lost 137 pounds. Doctors said her health is improving daily and she now weighs 359 pounds.

Doctors said much smaller ovarian cysts are very common and usually not cancerous. Often there are no symptoms associated with ovarian cysts, so many women are not aware they exist.
CBS Broadcasting Inc.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Since the surgery three weeks ago Taquela has lost 137 pounds. Doctors said her health is improving daily and she now weighs 359 pounds.

And people wonder why the tumour took so long to find? She weighed 498 lbs??????

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
During the surgery doctors made the shocking discovery, a 93 pound benign ovarian cyst.

"This was just like a big balloon, a big beach ball," said Dr. Cameron.

Doctors said much smaller ovarian cysts are very common and usually not cancerous. Often there are no symptoms associated with ovarian cysts, so many women are not aware they exist.
CBS Broadcasting Inc.

For some reason, after getting to the end of the article, I don't buy the line that she tried all the diets she could think of. At least, she sure didn't try them for long. While medical problems like that can lead to major weight issues, I've never heard of anyone being able to get to quite that size without eating themselves to it.

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
For some reason, after getting to the end of the article, I don't buy the line that she tried all the diets she could think of. At least, she sure didn't try them for long. While medical problems like that can lead to major weight issues, I've never heard of anyone being able to get to quite that size without eating themselves to it.

I agree. Most fat people of that size always blame other reasons..retaining water..big bones..whatever they think will fool the world.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

And people wonder why the tumour took so long to find? She weighed 498 lbs??????

Well, weight isn't the only issue that can lead to tumors like that going unnoticed. Depending on a family's body type, sometimes weight can be gained predominantly in one area (like native women who can have huge chests and stomachs, yet tiny legs and arms), and so a very large tumor can look like simple weight gain.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I agree. Most fat people of that size always blame other reasons..retaining water..big bones..whatever they think will fool the world.

I have to say sanctus, it's not about trying to fool the world. It's about fooling themselves. Trust me.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Really! I've never been fat, so I was just guessing. But do they actually fool themselves?

Oh, indeed they do! Or, perhaps it's our bodies that fool us. When you feel hungry all the time, it's easy to believe that you've really dieted. But, for someone who is immensely overweight, cutting your food in half often still isn't few enough calories to lose weight. Yet, your body screams and says you're starving to death. How can you not lose weight when you're starving to death!? It's more difficult that the slim can ever imagine.

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
Oh, indeed they do! Or, perhaps it's our bodies that fool us. When you feel hungry all the time, it's easy to believe that you've really dieted. But, for someone who is immensely overweight, cutting your food in half often still isn't few enough calories to lose weight. Yet, your body screams and says you're starving to death. How can you not lose weight when you're starving to death!? It's more difficult that the slim can ever imagine.

So, what's the solution to get around this mindset? Radical surgery seems to be quite the vogue these days. A lady in my parish who is immensly fat is going to have this surgery done where they, if I heard her correctly, are going to staple her stomach.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Half the battle is fighting the urge to eat. Most people can't distinguish between hunger and thirst. When you spend a lifetime conditioning that response by eating, it's a hard cycle to break.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
So, what's the solution to get around this mindset? Radical surgery seems to be quite the vogue these days. A lady in my parish who is immensly fat is going to have this surgery done where they, if I heard her correctly, are going to staple her stomach.

Well, I would hope her doctors would reconsider that, and instead do the 'lapband', since it is a simpler operation, and doesn't require an incision into the digestive system. It's neat, you can check it out on-line.

That being said, progressively weaning down your meals is a good option, and easier on the system than starting a diet in one shot.

Personally, I've been lucky, because a massive throat infection left me unable to eat more than a tiny bit at a time, when severely hungry, for almost two months. I've lost 20 lbs since I got better, but still have to consciously limit my serving sizes. I try to make sure I eat no more than 1 cup of food at a time.

canadarocks

Electoral Member
Dec 26, 2006
she can probably eat a 93 pound kid for breakfast with no problem...
she probably popped a 93 pound pimple on her nose, and thought nothing of it...
took a 93 pound crap..
need I go on?
so fat not to notice a tumour that big?
Hell, send her to africa- they're starving over there. Uganda could be fed for two weeks offa that! I have very little pity for people who let themselves get so fat that a tumour goes un-noticed.

csanopal

Electoral Member
Dec 22, 2006
Toronto, ON

After the surgery, she's down to 359 pounds? She's a f+++ing cow! She could lose another 100 lbs., and she'd still be bovine.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
NewsFlash....

A two hundred pound tumor has been detected as infectious growth among the benches of Canadian Parliament...

It's called Stephen Harper

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
hahahahahahahahahahahhah:laughing7::laughing7::laughing7::laughing7::laughing7::wave::wave::laughing7::laughing7: I suggest lazer surgery, burn the thing right of the bench.