Hobbies

Nightmare
LOL

Thanks for sharing!

Nightmare
Anyone enjoy watching Anime?

MikeyDB
I reassemble nearly-destroyed elves in an alternate uinverse that some rowdy from your dimension keeps trying to destroy...

Where's Doc Who when you need him!?

DurkaDurka
MikeyDB is a real pain in the butt when it comes to me slaughtering elves in my alternate universe, always messing with my plans...

hermanntrude
Quote: Originally Posted by eh1ehView Post

Ocarnia, is that a British instrament? How does it sound. When played well.

it's a very simplke instrument that was invented several times in several places. The first ones were incan apparently, although the japanese and the italians also invented versions. It's a woodwind instrument usually in the shape of a flattened sphere with a mouthpeice at one end, sometimes they're longer and thinner, in the shape of a sweet potato, or a novelty shape sometimes too. they have usually six or eight holes for your fingers, each a different size and a range of about an octave. Depending on their size and what they're made of they can sound like a recorder or be very deep and soulful or anything in between

eh1eh
Quote: Originally Posted by hermanntrudeView Post

it's a very simplke instrument that was invented several times in several places. The first ones were incan apparently, although the japanese and the italians also invented versions. It's a woodwind instrument usually in the shape of a flattened sphere with a mouthpeice at one end, sometimes they're longer and thinner, in the shape of a sweet potato, or a novelty shape sometimes too. they have usually six or eight holes for your fingers, each a different size and a range of about an octave. Depending on their size and what they're made of they can sound like a recorder or be very deep and soulful or anything in between

Sounds like something Robin Hood and his merry men would be playing.

hermanntrude
possibly, although more likely a wooden flute

You can also get double ocarinas, which have two whistles (or fipples) blown with one mouthpeice. they can then play two notes at once, and hence play in harmony with themselves. I've got one of these but don't have a clue how to play it.

Nightmare
Yeah, I seen people playing plastic ones at school.
It actually sounds quite nice.

hermanntrude
the plastic ones sound horrible compared to the ceramic and wooden ones.

do a google search for the "chuckerbutty quartet" they're an amusing bunch, and play the ocarina a lot.

there's an ocarina solo in "wild thing"

Nightmare
Nice...

selfactivated
Quote: Originally Posted by VereyaView Post

I have a hobby that everyone makes fun of, because it does seem rather strange, at first glance, that a person like me will do such a thing. I like doing emroideries...
And recently I also got interested in aromatherapy. I bought a couple of books, but haven't had time to open them yet

I used to do cross stitch and embroidery when I was a child it was very calming. I tried tatting but it was way to hard.

hermanntrude
i used to do cross stitch

eh1eh
Quote: Originally Posted by hermanntrudeView Post

the plastic ones sound horrible compared to the ceramic and wooden ones.

do a google search for the "chuckerbutty quartet" they're an amusing bunch, and play the ocarina a lot.

there's an ocarina solo in "wild thing"

As in 'Wild Thing, You make my heart sing' by the Trogs. OK so that what that deep toned flute sound is. You learn something new everyday.

hermanntrude

As in 'Wild Thing, You make my heart sing' by the Trogs. OK so that what that deep toned flute sound is. You learn something new everyday.

yeah i think he's using a bass ocarina.

you can get them in anything from sopranino to great bass

eh1eh
Quote: Originally Posted by selfactivatedView Post

I used to do cross stitch and embroidery when I was a child it was very calming. I tried tatting but it was way to hard.

Do you mean tattooing?

selfactivated

Do you mean tattooing?

no very delicate lace making with a shuttle. Im arthritic and its to delicate of work for my hands

Nuggler
Quote: Originally Posted by I think notView Post

I like pissing off leftists. It just tickles me.

I like raising the minimum wage and watching righties cry Tickles the beejazus outa me.....ha ha

selfactivated
Quote: Originally Posted by L GilbertView Post

Izzat like W C Fields? "How do you like kids?", someone asked him once. He replied, "Boiled or fried".

Zactly.......Just got off the phone with the little one (19) and shes headed for the boiler. I dont talk to anyone elses kids.......the should get the pleasure of boiling their own.

temperance
Self ,

how do you know when their done ?

I mean the children ,it must be a special gift and would have taken many years to perfect yes ?

temperance
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tatting (external - login to view)

Shows you what tatting is ,the link

been around a while and a great use of materials --tatting

selfactivated
Quote: Originally Posted by temperanceView Post

Self ,

how do you know when their done ?

I mean the children ,it must be a special gift and would have taken many years to perfect yes ?

lol yes many years, in fact the two I have on this plane are still boiling (when their not boiling MY blood!). always perfect but not quite done

Dalreg
In my spare time I try do do everything and anything. If it is legal I will try it. In fact if it is illegal I may still try it.

Alexander
Go to a forum? lol...

eh1eh
Quote: Originally Posted by temperanceView Post

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tatting (external - login to view)

Shows you what tatting is ,the link

been around a while and a great use of materials --tatting

Thanks for thelink Temperance, it couldn't be more clear.

Nightmare
Thanks for sharing!

Vereya
Quote: Originally Posted by selfactivatedView Post

Yes, it is very calming, indeed. besides, it solves another problem for me - I can't just sit and watch a TV program, or some movie. I have to be doing something at the same time, otherwise it is just a waste of time for me, and I can't sit still and just watch That's why I seldom go to the movies - it's kind of hard to embroider with the lights off LOL

Nightmare
Quote: Originally Posted by VereyaView Post

Yes, it is very calming, indeed. besides, it solves another problem for me - I can't just sit and watch a TV program, or some movie. I have to be doing something at the same time, otherwise it is just a waste of time for me, and I can't sit still and just watch That's why I seldom go to the movies - it's kind of hard to embroider with the lights off LOL

That's why popcorn is invented!

LOL

hermanntrude
here's my latest origami model. took me two hours or so:

hermanntrude
here's another. Both models (this and the above) were made from a single sheet of paper, no cuts, no tears, no glue.

selfactivated
AMAZING!!! You are a wonder. I couldnt do it