The nation my family has defended for generations


MikeyDB
#1

Recently my fuzzy little friend, (my cat “Pooka”) became ill. For those fortunate enough to find work and well enough to earn an income, a hundred dollar hiccup (what the vet cost..$110.00) wouldn’t be much of a problem…

As a benefit recipient of the Ontario Disabilities Support Program (ODSP) I have lived the past ten years well below half-way to what the governments of Ontario and the Federal government refer to as the Low Income Cuttoff…{lico}. My benefit is 979.00 a month. I have lived ten years on the basic amount prior to the generous increases seen in the past three years..roughly five percent.

Six hundred goes to pay my rent…according to the ODSP (provincial government) one can find accommodation in the City of London Ontario for $436.00/month.

I haven’t been able to find a single bedroom apartment in the city of London since I lived here …twenty years (20) for the amount that the ODSP and Dalton McGuinty feel is the adequate “shelter allowance”.

In statistics published by CMHC the starting rent in the City Of London Ontario is stated as (last time I looked…$600.00/month…)

I haven’t been able to afford cable TV…hardly a burden given the quality of modern TV…although I have enjoyed a dial-up connection to the Internet ($15.00/month) Of course to use this single recreational activity that I can afford, I also have to afford a telephone line…

My phone bill consistently averages about $25.00 a month. That’s very close to the mimimum amount since I don’t use long distance.

That hundred dollar hiccup put me behind the eight-ball in terms of paying my phone bill. I let the Bell bill slide for two months while I tried to catch up.

I sent Bell Canada fifty dollars today (early this morning before I checked my mail…

In my mail was a notice that since I am delinquent on my phone bill, my phone service will be terminated on Feb. 5/2007

I have had telephone service from Bell for well over the twenty years I’ve lived in London. I talked to a rep from Bell and explained that I had unforseen expenses and had in fact sent fifty on my phone bill account…

My “rep” told me “Bell Canada isn’t a bank and we’re not in the business of providing services to people who don’t pay for it…”

So my telephone service will be over in four days…which means my participation on Canadian Content will be over then too.

Is it my fault?

Yes I am foolish enough to believe that my ***** cat should be cared for fed and vet visits when needed…

I could of course abandon my cat and save some money.

It would do little good to express my anger and disappointment in both the Ontario government and ODSP who insist by the way that a telephone isn’t a “critical” necessity. I experience grand-mal seizures and have been hurt during these situations….broken clavicle, bit through my tongue on one occasion…but hey….my fellow Canadians and my fellow Ontarians are much happier to let me bleed and my pet die than be bothered assisting a disabled person who has contributed to this country for fifty-plus years.

I sure hope all you conservatives celebrate your humanity.

MikeyDB signing off…





 
hermanntrude
#2
so sorry dude. that's a sad story. I hope at least you and your cat are well. maybe u can get a different connection?
 
selfactivated
#3
I get 603 a month and if the electic is 10 over usual I get strapped. Im going to light a candle for you and do a financial bundle Fae WILL take care!

SO MOTE IT BE!
 
Colpy
#4
That seriously sucks.

I am no big fan of cats (a dog guy, surprized?), but pets are wonderful for company, and can get expensive.

My wife has worked for the phone company here for 28 years.....first NBTel, then Aliant, now Bell Aliant. She can't believe how the company culture has changed from service to blatant disregard for the needs of people. One upper management guy, when asked about disintegrating customer service (and brand loyalty) said "I don't believe in the customer service boogey man"!!!!! Wifey can't WAIT for the next retirement package to be offered.

I had a good friend (died last year) that was disabled......he lived on 6600 dollats a YEAR......his apartment was subsidized though, I think he paid 300 a month for it. Not an easy go of it.

What it comes down to is I am sorry for your troubles..............
 
MikeyDB
#5
Thanks Colpy

I have three hundred rounds of nine millimeter and am considering a visit to Toronto.
 
selfactivated
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by MikeyDBView Post

Thanks Colpy

I have three hundred rounds of nine millimeter and am considering a visit to Toronto.

Where did I put that copy of the tao?........
 
MikeyDB
#7
Tao

Good and evil exist simultaneously...that doesn't mean one has to tolerate injustice oppression and contempt.

The native cause has seen the rise of armed protesters...that get's peoples attention...
 
DurkaDurka
#8
Mikey, I am sorry to hear of your situation, that truly sucks.

Only suggestion I have is, once you get your current bill figured out you look at getting one of the cheaper DSL connections ($20.00/m) and using Voice Over IP instead of a standard land line. I know you can subscribe to Skype's Ontario package for $29.00/year, which allows you to make and receive calls anywhere in ONT.

Good Luck!
 
selfactivated
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by MikeyDBView Post

Tao

Good and evil exist simultaneously...that doesn't mean one has to tolerate injustice oppression and contempt.

The native cause has seen the rise of armed protesters...that get's peoples attention...

It also gets you in jail! Who'd feed Pooka? Zackary says send her/him here he need company.
 
MikeyDB
#10
Thanks Durka..for the sentiment and the info..

I'm seventy-something years old and I'm just plain tired.....
 
DurkaDurka
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by MikeyDBView Post

Thanks Durka..for the sentiment and the info..

I'm seventy-something years old and I'm just plain tired.....

You could try calling this number, it's Bell Canada Executive Office of Customer Relations
1-866-317-3382
 
MikeyDB
#12
Durka Durka

It’s never mattered to Canadians when a poor person or a homeless person or a disabled person dies. ODSP has let beneficiaries die from under funding and the Canadian people and Ontarians more specifically don’t care…

They don’t care about global warming, they don’t care about air pollution or anything that affects the lives of anyone else. Increase the taxes at the gas-pumps…look out!

The price of case of beer or a bottle of whiskey goes up….close the shutters and break-out the suvival packs…

I was trained in Fort Benning Georgia… and hand-hand and small arms in South Carolina…drafted to go to South East Asia and kill Cambodians, Vietnamese and all the enemies of the people of the west.

The only thing that seems to get Canadians and Americans involved is flowing blood….

Not the blood of the victims of the masses, but the blood of its leaders and the nabobs elected by those mindless masses, content to suffer the outrages of ineptitude and corruption.

Everyone here at CC talks about terrorism and don’t seem to understand or grasp that we are all living in the terrorism of fiduciary corruption that costs people their lives. From tainted water and commerce gone wild to complacency with conditions and situations that see our governments sending millions to others while Canadians …all good-naturedly and… happily… support second-class citizenship for those least able to fend for themselves…in our own society.

I’m old, but I haven’t forgotten anything and I can guarantee you that I can and may lend new meaning to the chant that “Toronto ROCKS”….
 
jjaycee98
#13
In 1949 this fellow was charged and thrown in Jail because he was hanging about in Winnipeg, Had no fixed address and had exhausted his welcome with relatives. If they still enforced this law ,I guess it would take care of the "Homeless" problem. We would have to build way more Jails though.
 
I think not
#14
Well that just sucks!

 
RomSpaceKnight
#15
Will a partial payment not keep them off your back for awhile? There are no apartments in London for that little. Maybe a bachelor with shared kitchen and bath.
 
tamarin
#16
Mikey, I have lots of experience with the kitties. I live in a rural area and strays and drop-offs are common. And bills can quickly build for vet services if you do want to do the right thing. Locally in the Kawarthas are two animal help agencies that have special programs for cats in need and the costs are kept down to reflect the nature of the situation. Surely, you must have animal welfare agencies in your area who do a similar job outside of the Humane Society etc. Check around, look in the yellow pages. Tell them your story and at least the cat issue should be given some relief.
 
L Gilbert
#17
That pisses me off. Canada just hasn't a friggin clue about seniors. People that have spent a lifetime of chipping in parts of their paychecks and whatnot and when they're approaching the ends of their paths, the gov'ts trip em and start kicking. BC ain't any better, I can tell you, Mike. It ain't much of a help to you but, you gotta know you aren't alone.
 
RomSpaceKnight
#18
Mikey PM me. I live in London. Got a soft spot for kitties.
 
CDNBear
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by MikeyDBView Post

Durka Durka

It’s never mattered to Canadians when a poor person or a homeless person or a disabled person dies. ODSP has let beneficiaries die from under funding and the Canadian people and Ontarians more specifically don’t care…

They don’t care about global warming, they don’t care about air pollution or anything that affects the lives of anyone else. Increase the taxes at the gas-pumps…look out!

The price of case of beer or a bottle of whiskey goes up….close the shutters and break-out the suvival packs…

I was trained in Fort Benning Georgia… and hand-hand and small arms in South Carolina…drafted to go to South East Asia and kill Cambodians, Vietnamese and all the enemies of the people of the west.

The only thing that seems to get Canadians and Americans involved is flowing blood….

Not the blood of the victims of the masses, but the blood of its leaders and the nabobs elected by those mindless masses, content to suffer the outrages of ineptitude and corruption.

Everyone here at CC talks about terrorism and don’t seem to understand or grasp that we are all living in the terrorism of fiduciary corruption that costs people their lives. From tainted water and commerce gone wild to complacency with conditions and situations that see our governments sending millions to others while Canadians …all good-naturedly and… happily… support second-class citizenship for those least able to fend for themselves…in our own society.

I’m old, but I haven’t forgotten anything and I can guarantee you that I can and may lend new meaning to the chant that “Toronto ROCKS”….

I have to take exception with that Mikey, one, I do care. Two I care about all the genuine people in need. Unfortunetly, those that are not the genuine article, suck up the needed and very precious funds, that gentlemen like yourself are "entitled" to, IMHO. But there are those that use the system to evade work or what have you, they represent a serious drain on the system. It is those people that many feel are the root cause of the financial blackhole that the support system is percieved to be.

That is not your fault, nor should it hurt you, but it does, that is a true injustice.

I feel for you sir, and this is not the way our you should be cared for. The safety net, even though I do harp about it's existance sometimes, is not what it should be and is not protecting who it should be.
 

Similar Threads

91
nation states
by hermanntrude | Oct 29th, 2007
39
Quebec a nation with in a nation
by Paladin | Dec 9th, 2006
19
Bashing America: Why Freedom Must be Defended
by I think not | Mar 29th, 2006
25
Who are we as a nation?
by canadapledge | Aug 13th, 2005
no new posts