lights out

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
A friend sent me an email about something which seems like a neat idea, although i plan not to do it. I don't know how widespread it will be or whether it was just email spam.

The suggestion was to switch off your lights from 6:55 to 7pm tonight. The UK and france are doing it at the same time as each other, but this continent does it on their own time zones apparently. The idea is to give the world a rest for 5 minutes, reduce the demand on power, supposedly as a political statement on the over-use of power. I'm not sure what it'll achieve but i can see some good points to it, and thought it'd be something u guys'd like to discuss and maybe participate in. If a lot of people did it it might show up on sattelite images

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
That's a great idea, keeping it however confined in cyberspace won't help.

If it gets into the airwaves, and give people time, it can happen.

Good idea!

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
problem is that whoever came up with the idea hasnt been very good at telling people. it only got to me today, i would have expected it to be on the news everywhere

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
I don't have to turn off my computer do I? I'll join in, and I'll report back to let anyone know if I see any other lights go off in Berlin... I doubt I'll see anything special though, because most Germans are off of work and out at the bars already :p

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
you guys are doing it on GMT i think at 6:55 GMT, which on french time is 7:55 i think. not sure about germany. I just wish this had been more widely publicised.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
SORRY guys!

I got the wrong time!

it's sposed to be 7:55 for us. the reason the Uk is doing it at 6:55 is to fit in with some of the rest of europe.

I just got a reply-all from someone who's very much against it. He said he'd turn on all his electrical appliances in order to negate the "hippy effect"

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
SORRY guys!

I got the wrong time!

it's sposed to be 7:55 for us. the reason the Uk is doing it at 6:55 is to fit in with some of the rest of europe.

I just got a reply-all from someone who's very much against it. He said he'd turn on all his electrical appliances in order to negate the "hippy effect"

All of Europe is GMT +0100. The UK is GMT. What time am I supposed to be doing this at? 18:55 or 19:55?

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
Here's the original email, which isnt very clear either:

Lights out everyone 1st of feb

On the 1st February, 2007 throughout the world:

CORRECT START TIMES - there has been a lot of confusion but to save the difficulties of timezones then please read the following..

ENGLAND AND THE UK - We have the opportunity to join in with France since we are close. So the French start time is 7.55pm - that is 6.55pm (GMT) here in the UK. So let's join in with them to make the effect greater!

USA AND CANADA - It's pointless you guys joining in with Europe cos it would be the middle of the day over there. So to save confusion about timezones just switch off your lights 7.55pm YOUR OWN LOCAL TIME.

Hope that makes things a little clearer.