BECAUSE IT MEANS I HAVE A HOME.

FOR ALL THE COMPLAINING
I HEAR ABOUT THE GOVERNMENT
BECAUSE IT MEANS
WE HAVE FREEDOM OF SPEECH..

FOR THE PARKING SPOT
I FIND AT THE FAR END OF THE PARKING LOT
BECAUSE IT MEANS I AM CAPABLE OF WALKING
AND I HAVE BEEN BLESSED WITH TRANSP ORTATION.

FOR MY HUGE HEATING BILL
BECAUSE IT MEANS
I AM WARM.

FOR THE LADY BEHIND ME IN CHURCH
WHO SINGS OFF KEY BECAUSE IT MEANS
I CAN HEAR.

FOR THE PILE OF LAUNDRY AND IRONING
BECAUSE IT MEANS
I HAVE CLOTHES TO WEAR.

FOR WEARINESS AND ACHING MUSCLES
AT THE END OF THE DAY
BECAUSE IT MEANS I HAVE BEEN
CAPABLE OF WORKING HARD.

FOR THE ALARM THAT GOES OFF
IN THE EARLY MORNING HOURS
BECAUSE IT MEANS I AM ALIVE.

AND FINALLY, FOR TOO MUCH E-MAIL

BECAUSE IT MEANS I HAVE
FRIENDS WHO ARE THINKING OF ME.

hermanntrude
i'm thankful for the snow outside, cos it means i'm in canada

i'm also thankful for being paid to talk crap on here all day

DurkaDurka
Quote: Originally Posted by hermanntrudeView Post

i'm thankful for the snow outside, cos it means i'm in canada

Ohhh... Canada newcomer. You won't be repeating those words after 30 of our winters.

hermanntrude
hahaha i honestly dont mind the cold. or the snow.

karrie
Quote: Originally Posted by DurkaDurkaView Post

Ohhh... Canada newcomer. You won't be repeating those words after 30 of our winters.

30 is the magic number? because I've got 27 winters under my belt, and I still love them. I guess we'll see how I feel when I hit that magic 3-0. lol

DurkaDurka
Quote: Originally Posted by karrieView Post

30 is the magic number? because I've got 27 winters under my belt, and I still love them. I guess we'll see how I feel when I hit that magic 3-0. lol

I have had 30, more then enough for me. I am waiting for global warming to turn Toronto into a tropical paradise.

hermanntrude
toronto is wayyy too hot in the summer already

DurkaDurka

Humid mostly, yes.

hermanntrude
very unpleasant. I am thankful for not being there

DurkaDurka
Yeah, I wouldn't live i the Toronto area if it wasn't for my job...

eh1eh
I was going to complain about having to make super tonight but as my growing belly rubbed on the counter... you can fill in the blank from above.

Also I am counting the days until pool opening in S. Ont.

eh1eh
Quote: Originally Posted by DurkaDurkaView Post

Humid mostly, yes.

You know what they say, 'It's not the heat.'

DurkaDurka
Quote: Originally Posted by eh1ehView Post

You know what they say, 'It's not the heat.'

exactly...

sanctus

I love Toronto. Always have. I live 4 hours south of our largest city. I am also odd in that the humidity and heat do not trouble me all that much, in fact I love summer.

sanctus

hahaha i honestly dont mind the cold. or the snow.

Shuddering, yes, you are most obviously a newcomer

hermanntrude
i love the english summer, warm and relatively dry, with the ocassional thunderstorm to break the humidity. my perfect temperature is 23C.

hermanntrude
Quote: Originally Posted by sanctusView Post

Shuddering, yes, you are most obviously a newcomer

not that new any more. 4 months now, and still enjoying the cold. I watch the weather forecasts and delight in the negative numbers. when it gets to -30 i take pride in walking 30 minutes through the snow and not being phased

sanctus

not that new any more. 4 months now, and still enjoying the cold. I watch the weather forecasts and delight in the negative numbers. when it gets to -30 i take pride in walking 30 minutes through the snow and not being phased

Well, 4 months....hah hah hah... come talk to me when you've been here 47 years like me

eh1eh

That's gonna wear off dude. I like winter, I have a Ski Doo, but I also have a pool and nothing beats the stagnate, humid summer heat like air conditioning. But if you have a pool to folic aroud and take refreshing dip in, then the air con works even better.

hermanntrude
ha. you'd be surprised how fast i can adapt and extrapolate my feelings into the future. I am confident that I won't often be downhearted due to canadian weather. It's certainly not glum and boring and dull like england during the winter. Although i suspect i will miss the english spring. Spring here is wet and soggy i've heard. at home it makes u want to sing. flowers appear in february and nature seems to be exploding all around you by march and april.

eh1eh

ha. you'd be surprised how fast i can adapt and extrapolate my feelings into the future. I am confident that I won't often be downhearted due to canadian weather. It's certainly not glum and boring and dull like england during the winter. Although i suspect i will miss the english spring. Spring here is wet and soggy i've heard. at home it makes u want to sing. flowers appear in february and nature seems to be exploding all around you by march and april.

You only need to cross the mountains from where you are to get blossoms in February. Golf too I've heard.

mapleleafgirl

i love the english summer, warm and relatively dry, with the ocassional thunderstorm to break the humidity. my perfect temperature is 23C.

we went to england two summers ago, my brother, my mom, me and my aunt and uncle and their kids. it sucked, to be honest with you. people were stuck up and it rained like eight million times a day. we went to london, liverpool and some place called manchester cos my mom wanted to find the set for this dumb show she watches called coronation street. have you heard of that show? its like this really dumb english soap opera.

we stood outside buckingham palace and my family was so impressed but all i could think of was the blood of all the people down the centuries it took to make this one family so rich and powerful and what parasites they all were, including the queen.

Daz_Hockey
Quote: Originally Posted by mapleleafgirlView Post

we went to england two summers ago, my brother, my mom, me and my aunt and uncle and their kids. it sucked, to be honest with you. people were stuck up and it rained like eight million times a day. we went to london, liverpool and some place called manchester cos my mom wanted to find the set for this dumb show she watches called coronation street. have you heard of that show? its like this really dumb english soap opera.

we stood outside buckingham palace and my family was so impressed but all i could think of was the blood of all the people down the centuries it took to make this one family so rich and powerful and what parasites they all were, including the queen.

I often saw more Coronation street signs on the side of Toronto street cars than I do in the UK. And there was a time when a King (or queen) was kinda like the president, in that they'd lead and command the troops. Then they did the job they were paid for. And people like Queen Elizabeth the 1st did it very well, turning a small island into the greatest power on earth.

But that was long ago and all we are left with is the history. What you have to realise Mapleleaf is that English people are now scattered around the world, Canadians, Australians, Kiwi's, South Africans, Americans etc...but the small number who stayed on that island are a synical bunch in general (I am one of them) and they are always filled with doom and gloom (the fact it rains 99% of the time doesnt help) and they feel they've gone from this almighty power into nothing (which isnt true because the others still exsist, what was the empire hasnt died, it's evolved into all these different countries) and the Queen and her family is a way to keep hold of the past.

I think that's how they feel anyway.

Besides, if I didnt live in the UK, I certainly wouldnt choose it for a holiday destination.

hermanntrude
Quote: Originally Posted by mapleleafgirlView Post

phew you didnt like it then?

Well i can see you saw the worst. you're right it rains a lot, you're right people in london appear stuck up , and manchester is funny. Ive seen coronation street, used to watch it, it's not bad, but yeah it's tv trash. I met one of the actresses once on the train.

Buck palace does seem extravagent, and yes i suppose it was blood money. what do you propose we do though? knock it down?

there are some lovely things about england. you wont find many of them in the cities though.

but yeah i came to canada. and not JUST because my wife's canadian

I think not
Quote: Originally Posted by Daz_HockeyView Post

I often saw more Coronation street signs on the side of Toronto street cars than I do in the UK. And there was a time when a King (or queen) was kinda like the president, in that they'd lead and command the troops. Then they did the job they were paid for. And people like Queen Elizabeth the 1st did it very well, turning a small island into the greatest power on earth.

But that was long ago and all we are left with is the history. What you have to realise Mapleleaf is that English people are now scattered around the world, Canadians, Australians, Kiwi's, South Africans, Americans etc...but the small number who stayed on that island are a synical bunch in general (I am one of them) and they are always filled with doom and gloom (the fact it rains 99% of the time doesnt help) and they feel they've gone from this almighty power into nothing (which isnt true because the others still exsist, what was the empire hasnt died, it's evolved into all these different countries) and the Queen and her family is a way to keep hold of the past.

I think that's how they feel anyway.

Besides, if I didnt live in the UK, I certainly wouldnt choose it for a holiday destination.

Now that is just an awful post. Sorry mate, but you are another doomer and gloomer (are they words?).

You know I have no particular love for the British Empire (or Blackleaf), but to make claims you have to hold on to the past, is what keeps you from springing into the future. The UK is much much more than ceremonial robes, Kings and Queens and Royal families.

It has a rich culture of literature, sciences, music, theater etc..

The UK has offered MUCH MUCH to the world, from innovations and inventions, to common law and Constitutional Frameworks.

And I would say, one thing that has NEVER escaped the majority of the Brits, when there is hard work to be done, the Brits are in the middle of it!

And I LOVE visiting the UK, ok so your weather isn't the best in the world, so what? Venture into Canada in January and if your balls don't fall off, I'll turn into a crossdresser.

Long live the UK!

WTF, you can keep your monarchy, It gives me something to bitch about.

Daz_Hockey
Quote: Originally Posted by I think notView Post

Now that is just an awful post. Sorry mate, but you are another doomer and gloomer (are they words?).

You know I have no particular love for the British Empire (or Blackleaf), but to make claims you have to hold on to the past, is what keeps you from springing into the future. The UK is much much more than ceremonial robes, Kings and Queens and Royal families.

It has a rich culture of literature, sciences, music, theater etc..

The UK has offered MUCH MUCH to the world, from innovations and inventions, to common law and Constitutional Frameworks.

And I would say, one thing that has NEVER escaped the majority of the Brits, when there is hard work to be done, the Brits are in the middle of it!

And I LOVE visiting the UK, ok so your weather isn't the best in the world, so what? Venture into Canada in January and if your balls don't fall off, I'll turn into a crossdresser.

Long live the UK!

WTF, you can keep your monarchy, It gives me something to bitch about.

Course it is...but she was talking about the royal family and I was keeping it contextual and not going off on a tangent!! ....

You are very right though, for example the head of the Computing department at my university laid the foundations for the world wide web and splits his time between Southampton in the UK and Boston at MIT.

Of course we also created the biggest sport in the world as well as many other things...but we are currently being swamped with hundreds of thousands of polish people here at the mo, so ethnic diversity has gone out the window

hermanntrude
Rule Brittania, Brittania Rules The Waves....

<wipes A tear from his eye>

sanctus

p

Well i can see you saw the worst. you're right it rains a lot, you're right people in london appear stuck up , and manchester is funny. Ive seen coronation street, used to watch it, it's not bad, but yeah it's tv trash. I met one of the actresses once on the train.

Ok, which one? I am a Corrie man, so I must know which one you met.

L Gilbert
Only thing I can say about a Tranna summer is A/C!!!
I like winters here, and that's after 52 years.

Kreskin
Reminds me of the radio ad playing in Vancouver that goes something like this:

Advisor: Bad news, your index funds are under water.
Happy Guy: Oh well, water under the bridge I say.
Advisor: You'll have to wait another 3 years to retire.
Happy Guy: Who needs it anyway?
Advisor: And the tax department wants to audit you.
Happy Guy: They're just doing their jobs. How can I help?

Life is what you make of it I guess.