I Am Thankful

L Gilbert
Quote: Originally Posted by KreskinView Post

Reminds me of the radio ad playing in Vancouver that goes something like this:

Advisor: Bad news, your index funds are under water.
Happy Guy: Oh well, water under the bridge I say.
Advisor: You'll have to wait another 3 years to retire.
Happy Guy: Who needs it anyway?
Advisor: And the tax department wants to audit you.
Happy Guy: They're just doing their jobs. How can I help?

Life is what you make of it I guess.

Unless you're one of the faithful sheep, in which case, life is what yer deity makes it.

RomSpaceKnight
After a heart attack and quad bypass at age 43 I am thankful to be alive and living in Canada and living in London with hospitals supplying world class cardiac care where I happened to be when I collapsed.

I love England as a vacation spot. Maybe not for living there but so cool to visit the old homeland again. We did the family trip back to Yorkshire and it rained once in a month. Weather was glorious. The gods, I love the moors. A big Heartbeat fan more than Coronation Street.

I love winter. Except for ride my motorcycle I can do all my outdoor stuff in winter plus all the rad winter stuff.

mapleleafgirl
Quote: Originally Posted by I think notView Post

Now that is just an awful post. Sorry mate, but you are another doomer and gloomer (are they words?).

You know I have no particular love for the British Empire (or Blackleaf), but to make claims you have to hold on to the past, is what keeps you from springing into the future. The UK is much much more than ceremonial robes, Kings and Queens and Royal families.

It has a rich culture of literature, sciences, music, theater etc..

The UK has offered MUCH MUCH to the world, from innovations and inventions, to common law and Constitutional Frameworks.

And I would say, one thing that has NEVER escaped the majority of the Brits, when there is hard work to be done, the Brits are in the middle of it!

And I LOVE visiting the UK, ok so your weather isn't the best in the world, so what? Venture into Canada in January and if your balls don't fall off, I'll turn into a crossdresser.

Long live the UK!

WTF, you can keep your monarchy, It gives me something to bitch about.

thats my point. the monarchy is wrong. i dont get why you english dont get it. theres something wacked about one family having all this money and power they didnt earn.

hermanntrude
Quote: Originally Posted by mapleleafgirlView Post

thats my point. the monarchy is wrong. i dont get why you english dont get it. theres something wacked about one family having all this money and power they didnt earn.

as mentioned previously some of them did actually lead the armies of the nation into war. Imagine if you had 5000 men in armour on horseback on either side of you and you were the one who had to charge first. I'd pay a million pounds for someone else to be the one!

gopher
I am thankful for enjoying a few good hobbies:

sports

reading good books

and cooking - I just love to eat!

Kreskin
I'm thankful for not getting fired, yet.

Alexander
Wow. Well said. People nowadays seem to be too spoiled or pessimistic that they never look on the bright side. This thread has just enlightened me (well, sorta, it just makes me feel more thankful at the moment).

sanctus
Quote: Originally Posted by AlexanderView Post

Wow. Well said. People nowadays seem to be too spoiled or pessimistic that they never look on the bright side. This thread has just enlightened me (well, sorta, it just makes me feel more thankful at the moment).

As bad as we think we have it, we still have much to be thankful for, especially if we truly look at the conditions of living in so much of the world outside of Canada.

L Gilbert
Unfortunately, a great deal of people seem to think that's a good enough reason not to try making things better: happy with the status quo and content to stagnate in a decaying society. The first step is cleaning up one's own back yard, then helping the neighbor do his, then the empty lot across the street, then the town, and so on.

sanctus
Quote: Originally Posted by L GilbertView Post

Unfortunately, a great deal of people seem to think that's a good enough reason not to try making things better: happy with the status quo and content to stagnate in a decaying society. The first step is cleaning up one's own back yard, then helping the neighbor do his, then the empty lot across the street, then the town, and so on.

That is very profound, and quite true. I suspect most people do not even recognize the mess in their own backyards because they are far too busy looking over the fence at what is going on in their neighbours' yard!

gopher
Somebody gave me bad rep points for what I posted above. Some people here have strange standards ...

L Gilbert
About sports, reading, and eating? You're right, very strange.

talloola
My most prized possession I am thankful for is my "freedom". I wouldn't last 10 minutes in a country where women are treated poorly, as I would be the first one "up" and defending some poor woman who was kicked or beaten, and made to wear a "burka", or told she couldn't go to school, or vote, or be out and about in her own town without a male family member in tow. I would stand face to face with any
of those "men/leaders" in any of those countries and challenge them, (but of course I would be
dead in 5 minutes), but not before I made my point, (my last point) I might add.