Diary of a goof-off: No work, no pay

L Gilbert
Whatever the justification is .......... If your employer's ok with it, that's fine.
The point being that slacking on the job is time-theft.

DurkaDurka
Quote: Originally Posted by L GilbertView Post

Whatever the justification is .......... If your employer's ok with it, that's fine.
The point being that slacking on the job is time-theft.

Slacking is not theft, you are not taking something that does not belong to you. You are mearly failing to do what your work contract stipulates. Negligent, perhaps. Theft, no.

karrie
Quote: Originally Posted by DurkaDurkaView Post

Slacking is not theft, you are not taking something that does not belong to you. You are mearly failing to do what your work contract stipulates. Negligent, perhaps. Theft, no.

If a contractor, a plumber lets say, showed up at your house, took off to go fix the thing you wanted fixed, spent two hours pretending to fix it, and then left with your money for that job, you'd have just had your money stolen, even though he pretended to do work for it.

Kreskin
I get paid 100% commission. As they say, I wake up everyday unemployed. There are very few expectations or restrictions on hours worked. The company expects results but I don't have to account for my activities for the most part. My boss has told me on many occasions, if I want to take a day or two off I don't even have to mention it. While I do look around a few forums in the workplace I don't post or sign in. The company is quite large and takes company reputation and computer security very seriously. They don't want company IP addresses attached to forum posts. So, though they aren't concerned with time spent on the internet they are concerned with these other big-picture issues. The company carries a large stick so I don't push my luck.

L Gilbert
Quote: Originally Posted by DurkaDurkaView Post

You sold your time to your employer. It is your employers time, not yours. You slack off, you steal the time back. You sell your product to your employer, you steal some of the product back. It's theft.

Um, "slacking" robs employers of a lotta money.

www.acroprint.com/acroprintst.../timetheft.pdf (external - login to view)

www.iteminfo.com/Officetips.a...y%20Tips&tip=M (external - login to view)

www.employeetimeclocks.com/ti...attendance.htm (external - login to view)

www.urbandictionary.com/defin...erm=time+theft (external - login to view)

www.laborlawtalk.com/showthread.php?t=80669 (external - login to view)

www.veritasksoftware.com/down...hclock_eng.pdf (external - login to view)

goliath.ecnext.com/coms2/gi_0...workplace.html (external - login to view)

smallbusiness.yahoo.com/r-art...buyers_guide-i (external - login to view)