baby names

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
Me and my wife are looking for baby names. particularly short of male baby names. We want something unusual but not totally outrageous. The surname will be High.

so far we like Stan (although it's going out of favour), James (not unusual but nice) and Amelia.

all suggestions positively encouraged. except Miles and Heidi and Ace and any other pun on the word High

Sаbine

Electoral Member
Jan 11, 2007
Male: Stas, Vlad, Ian, Oleg, Alexey.
Female: Polina, Alina, Alla, Marina, Amalia, Elena.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
I like fairly traditional names. My fave boy name is Max, probably because I had a great baby named Max. I also like Noah, Jack and James a lot.

Girl names... love Amelia, Emma, Kate, Lilly and Sophie.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
you and I have similar tastes. We've considered noah and max (unfortunately turned both down because we've known retards (stupid kids, not disabled ones) with those names), and james and amelia and sophie.

Sophie doesnt work with high though.... sophie high sounds wrong

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
you and I have similar tastes. We've considered noah and max (unfortunately turned both down because we've known retards (stupid kids, not disabled ones) with those names), and james and amelia and sophie.

I know how that goes. I've always liked Ally for a girl, but then I met a freak with that name and it kind of ruined it. Same with Hannah.

Another baby I looked after was named Annelise and I thought that was pretty.

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006

Hermann has that German look to it. Why not look at some of the cool Dutch names that are available ... for the girls the names seem musical and for the guys, they seem soft or serious. I think you should go with at least two and maybe three syllables in the first name to help distinquish from the last name.

And ... avoid any name that you hear on a TV show or movie because everyone and their dog will have that name in the next couple of years.

Oh, and one more thought, what's wrong with the traditional naming methods of looking in your family tree; even way back, for a name you like? When I had to name my youngest daughter I looked back through my ancestry to the late 1700s and found a woman that never married but lived to be about 100. I liked something about her ability to survive in those times ... that's the name we chose. My oldest daughter was easy ... she has my mom's name.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
i agree that it should be multi-syllable. I also agree it should not be tv-inspired. I dont want anything normal. that's why i like stan... it's an old man's name, which makes it ultra-unusual for a kid

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
i agree that it should be multi-syllable. I also agree it should not be tv-inspired. I dont want anything normal. that's why i like stan... it's an old man's name, which makes it ultra-unusual for a kid

Stan, Stanley, Stand High. My brother was named after a great Uncle ... Jacob. It was a very rare name. When my son was born, the name was in both families so ... but then we went to the park and everyone's dog was named Jake. At school, there are 3 or 4 Jakes in my son's class. Hannah was a pretty, rare, old woman's name until recently and now every elementary school class has 3 or 4 of them too.