Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Giant owl attacks drinkers

Danger ... eagle owls, the largest owls in Europe, hunt foxes, deer — and us

MORE ANIMAL TALES

By ROBIN PERRIE
January 10, 2007

A GIANT owl that devours foxes and small deer is terrorising shoppers and drinkers in a town centre.

It launches itself off high roofs and swoops on passers-by with talons outstretched.

Late-night shoppers and revellers even take taxis to avoid falling “prey” to the eagle owl, which has a 5ft wingspan.

It set up home on the roof of Middlesbrough train station in September — but turned nasty over Christmas.

Craig Smith told how the bird swooped on him from behind as he ran through the station car park to catch a train from the Teesside town.

He recalled: “I heard a loud woo-woo noise and looked over my shoulder to see this creature with silver wings, claws stretched out.

“I ran as fast as I could on to the platform and it flew away.

“On Christmas Eve I saw it go for a man coming out of a pub and chase him down the street.”

Another victim dad-of-four Mark Fryett, 40, had to fight the bird off.

He said: “I was leaving work when I heard a hoot and a whoosh and saw this big white face coming at me.

“I put my arm up and hit its wing and it fell on the floor, but got up again and flew off.
“I was really shaken up. It was like something out of Harry Potter — I thought it was going to pick me up! I went home and called police, but I think they thought I was drunk.”

Mark said that, eerily, he saw the owl again the next day on the Chamber of Commerce building.

He recalled: “It was perched on the side of a building, watching me.”

Experts say the bird is capable of killing a fox or small deer and warn pet owners to watch their animals.

Rachael Stewart, of the Kirkleatham Owl Centre in Redcar, North Yorkshire, said: “We think it must have escaped from a travelling show.

“Volunteers have tried to catch it a couple of times. It’s not dangerous to people but it will have to hunt to survive. It could easily kill a cat or small dog.”

thesun.co.uk

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
“Volunteers have tried to catch it a couple of times. It’s not dangerous to people but it will have to hunt to survive. It could easily kill a cat or small dog.”

thesun.co.uk

Somehow, though I am certain this is not pleasant for the people, this strikes me as very funny. All the best brains of man not able to catch this fearless owl! Good on the owl! hah hah hah:toothy8:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Experts say the bird is capable of killing a fox or small deer and warn pet owners to watch their animals.

Rachael Stewart, of the Kirkleatham Owl Centre in Redcar, North Yorkshire, said: “We think it must have escaped from a travelling show.

Blackleaf, there are times when I think you escaped from a traveling show. If you think about it, a bird with a five foot wingspan would have a hell of a time carrying off even a small cat, let alone a small deer. Not long ago I watched a Bald Eagle that was bigger than any owl, try to take a raccoon. That raccoon was just too heavy for it and it gave up.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
sounds like a protective momma... it's certainly not seeing them as 'prey' if it's hooting as it swoops at them. It's just trying to scare them away from its territory. pretty normal bird stuff.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Owl song: HELP ME COMPOSE IT!! FREE COFFEE

GET OUT THE WAY
OWL'S A COMIN
OH YA CAN'T KEEP A GOOD BIRD DOWN
IT'LL SWOOP \
IT'LL POOP
IT'LL GRAB YER CHIHUAHUA
NO YA CAN'T KEEP A GOOD BIRD DOWN

"CHORUS"
NO YA CAN'T NO YA CAN'T NO YA CAN'T NO YA CAN'T
YA CAN'T KEEP A GOOD BIRD DOWN

NEXT VERSE.....................ANYONE??????????????/:smilebox:

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
Blackleaf I LOVE your threads :)

(this isnt mine)

Owl magic, omens, time,. and space.

Does the truth emerge?

Casting out deception, Silent flight, Sacred medicine bird.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
i used to live in a farm house in bedfordshire which had an ancient moat around it and was all overgrown. we used to see tawny owls, little owls and barn owls. it was a really nice place except for the sheep and the spiders

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
GET OUT THE WAY
OWL'S A COMIN
OH YA CAN'T KEEP A GOOD BIRD DOWN
IT'LL SWOOP \
IT'LL POOP
IT'LL GRAB YER CHIHUAHUA
NO YA CAN'T KEEP A GOOD BIRD DOWN

"CHORUS"
NO YA CAN'T NO YA CAN'T NO YA CAN'T NO YA CAN'T
YA CAN'T KEEP A GOOD BIRD DOWN

NEXT VERSE.....................ANYONE??????????????/:smilebox:

GET OUT THE WAY
OWL'S A COMIN \
HEAR THE WINGS A HUMMIN'
LOCK UP ALL YER PUPPIES
YOU OVERFED YUPPIES
YA CAN"T KEEP A GOOD BIRD DOWN

"CHORUS"

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
i used to live in a farm house in bedfordshire which had an ancient moat around it and was all overgrown. we used to see tawny owls, little owls and barn owls. it was a really nice place except for the sheep and the spiders

Around here its Barrell ows that get slaughtered I find them on the freeway and use the feathers then bury them the old way.