things i LIKE about canada

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
I am getting tired of the ever-growing thread of things people hate about canada. so here's some of the things i love about canada:

1)You can get things done: When my (canadian) wife had to get a bank account in england, they almost reduced her to tears, refusing to do anything until she got documents she couldnt get. In canada all i had to do was ask.

2) no nannying: in england recently a fence was put up around a pear tree so people wouldn't get hit on the head by falling pears. In edmonton there is a giant bridge across a giant river with a 3 foot high fence on it. I assume the attitude is that if you are dumb enough to jump off a bridge, it's not our job to stop you. This is very refreshing. It also weeds out the lunatics.

3) the weather. I love the snow and the nice dry cold.

4) the inclusiveness of the culture. from newfies to inuits and first nations. being a canadian seems to me to mean being aware of the existance of other cultures. Some english people don't even understand that things might be different elsewhere

5) the size. Canada is giant and this results in a wonderful emptiness. Overcrowding in the Uk is causing some serious social problems. this is true of many places but definately not in canada.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Yeah, Canada's size:

When I was in Europe in the sixties I told people of driving from Calgary to Vancouver for a long weekend(about a thousand km) Nobody believed me.

Nor could they get their minds around the greater distances...Victoria to St. John's...7300 km, a distance that would likely take you through a couple dozen countries in Europe.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
haha yes tim goes on my list too. It's a shame but ive never owned a TV in canada so i dont know the theme. my wife does though!

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
I love Canadian bands;
Blue Rodeo
54/40
Sloan
The Inbreds
The Rheostatics
The Gandharvas
The Dayglos
Even the Hip
And the classic rock musicians like Neil Young, BTO, The Band, The Guess Who, Joni Mitchell.
I love the countryside. Canadians really dont deserve Canada. We have everything, and we're ruining it all. We are the most wasteful people. We waste per capita more then anyone else, including Americans.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
Belittling one Country to make another look great isnt the way to do it.

I could give you many, many reasons why Canada is a great place, most wouldnt involve slagging off my country though....Blackleaf isnt here, please dont do it.

Otherwise, nope, Canada is a great country, the open fields, the fresh air, the wildlife, the native culture, the multi-lingualism...see five reasons that didnt involved abusing the UK.

Daz

AmberEyes

Sunshine
Dec 19, 2006
Vancouver Island
I love Canada because:

-Timmy's. Not only does it provide my income (yes, I'm a Timmy Ho part-time), but the coffee rules and I get all the free food I could want.
-It's my home. I've lived on Vancouver Island, BC, all of my life. I haven't travelled far - Calgary's the furthest I've been from the island, but I can honestly say that driving through beautiful BC was one of the greatest experiences of my life so far.
-Diversity. There's a wonderful diversity of people where I live. Simply going to school I meet people from Asia, Africa, Europe, and even South America. Race doesn't seem to be something I notice anymore. I'm so used to hearing dozens of languages every day.

RomSpaceKnight

Council Member
Oct 30, 2006
London, Ont. Canada
Multiculturism, winter, summer, spring and fall, the scenery and diverse landscapes, the Canadian Shield, hockey, Tim Horton's (even if they did contribute to my heart attack (watch the hot chocolate and the chese danishes and croissants for trans fats)(side rant))), the pretty pretty money, the CBC and TVO, the fishing, skiing and travelling one can do here, the history

Sparrow

Council Member
Nov 12, 2006
Quebec
I love Canada because of its beauty, wide open spaces, diversity. I live in the east and have travelled as far as Calgary, there is nothing more beautiful. The scenery is so different from one end to the other, from the rolling hills in the east to the majestic mountains in the west. What a great country!

RomSpaceKnight

Council Member
Oct 30, 2006
London, Ont. Canada
A lot of Europeans don't grasp the size of the place. When we drive 8 hrs to the cottage in northern Ontario just past Sudbury you could almost drive to Finland from France or England in same time.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I was born on the west coast, now live on vancouver island for 25 yrs, I feel so fortunate that my

parents/grandparents decided to come to this country, from England/Ireland. I will never take for granted

what we have here. It is so beautiful, after being on the island for years, it is still like a vacation, I can't

wait till the summer to "just" drive throughout B.C., and soak in all the scenery, and we never get tired

of driving up or down the island, it is so beautiful, we can golf all year round, golfed twice last week.

And, yes, the tolerance and enjoyment we feel having all the different cultures, and especially First

Nations People, they are so very special, and we owe them a great deal, as they were treated poorly many

years ago, not fair.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Things I like.....

Breathing in cold winter air on a moonlit night, when the snow cover is so white that everything shines.

Drinking Kokanee with friends, heads tipped back on the edge of the hottub, watching the Northern Lights dance over the branches of the spruce trees.

Climbing the hills, looking for the first of the crocuses coming out for spring.

Stopping on our drive into town to say hello to 'mama', 'babs', and 'dippy', the family of moose who watch us intently almost every day from the saskatoon bushes at the side of the road.

Splashing into the river on a hot summer day to wash all the berry juice stains off our hands and faces from picking (and eating) saskatoons, raspberries, and chokecherries for preserves.

Walking through the hustle and bustle of downtown Calgary,in my bag a box of Bernard Callebaut and a bottle of Grey Monk pinot gris, headed for a night of chit chat with my girlfriends.

The smell of tourtiere cooking on a cold day.

Having people recognize the name of my childrens' school as the local french immersion and almost automatically, and no matter how clumsily, speak a bit of French to them. No politicking, just sharing in a love of learning and language.

Bannock cooking over a camp fire.

Seeing the mountains slowly rise out of the horizon as you drive closer and closer.

Sitting in the small town arena, the smell of canteen burgers and fries wafting through the air, girls clutching hot cocoa, boys watching in awe as the men play hockey.

To name a few.

RomSpaceKnight

Council Member
Oct 30, 2006
London, Ont. Canada
I wish I lived far enough north to see the Northern Lights. I really should leave southern Ontario. I had thought of attending UWO when the plant closes with help from my buyout package. Maybe Simon Fraser or UBC would be better.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I wish I lived far enough north to see the Northern Lights. I really should leave southern Ontario. I had thought of attending UWO when the plant closes with help from my buyout package. Maybe Simon Fraser or UBC would be better.

I was a born and bred Alberta girl. But having lived in BC a bit (not even all that far from where I grew up), I swear everyone should spend at least a month exploring the province.