Police Find Woman Weighing 43 Pounds

sanctus
FLINT, Mich. -- A local prosecutor in Flint, Mich., calls it "just appalling."
Authorities said a 22-year-old developmentally disabled woman weighing only 43 pounds was found in a bedroom at her mother's home. The mother has been charged with abusing her.
The Flint Journal said the woman was wearing only a T-shirt and four soiled diapers on a mattress stained with human waste. She was taken to a hospital, where she's reported in stable condition.

The woman's mother has been charged with second-degree abuse of a vulnerable adult. A judge set cash bond at $25,000. The mother is being held at a county jail.
If convicted, she could be sentenced to up to four years in prison.
Police found the malnourished woman when they went to the house to look for a man in an unrelated assault complaint.
Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press.

Gonzo
Only four years? My God! Why do mothers do these kinds of things? I heard of a women who micro-waived her baby. I know that it's post partum depression, but come on! Another mother threw her baby off an overpass. And that famous case of the mother who put her children in a car and backed it into a river. Then she blamed it on a "black" man who stole her car.

smilingfish
Why did this "mom" do this? I've heard a lot of stories about great moms sacrificed almost everything to support their disabled children.

And why didn't people find out this earlier? She's 22!

This crime is worse than killing people.