Racism around the world

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
Racism is a belief that biological differences among human races determine cultural or individual achievement, believing that ones own race is superior and has the right to rule others.
So where are the most racist regions on earth? It's common to believe that white people are the most racist, a racist belief I think.
In Uganda, the government expelled tens of thousands of ethnic Indians.
There has been debate about the treatment of African Jews in Israel, who occupy the bottom social economic positions.
Though not widely known throughout the world, Latin America has a history of racism highly influenced by the colonial attitudes and devastation created by the Spanish conquest in the 16th and 17th centuries. During the conquest, the offspring of Spaniards and Native Americans became distinct and low caste in colonial society. The offspring are now the majority throughout Latin America and in Spanish-speaking countries they are called indios, nacos by racists.
In parts of Asia, racism is encouraged. Little is done about it. Not only racism, but division of class is a major part of life in Asia. Your job is your status. Nurses are looked down upon. In Canada, nurses are always treated horribly by Asians because of their view that nursing is an inferior job.
While black supremacism is viewed by human rights organizations and black leaders of the American Civil Rights Movement, such as Martin Luther King Jr. and Roy Wilkins, as equivalent to the white supremacy movement, some African Americans consider black supremacism acceptable because of its message about black self-respect, black self-sufficiency and black economic improvement. Jesse Jackson, for instance, "has applauded Minister Louis Farrakhan, whose basic message is of black supremacy over whites and hatred of Jews".
The United Nuwaubian Nation of Moors was founded by Dwight York who is considered to be "one of the most successful — and least known — black supremacist leaders in America". The Nuwaubians believe in black people's superiority to white people, that whites are "devils," devoid of both heart and soul, that the color of white people is the result of leprosy and genetic inferiority, and that the ancestors of white people are the sexual partners of dogs and jackals.
So racism exists around the world, not only in Europe and North America.

smilingfish

Just a tiny fish
Dec 13, 2006
In which part of Asia? I mean where racism is encouraged. And how? Curious b/c I'm an asian. Oops, Asia is too large & I'm not in that "part"?

IMHO, racism is based on the economy status and political power of the people of different races( not a single person of this race, but the main part of them). So basically, it's just "money talks".

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
In Cambodia, there has been a strong anti-Vietnamese sentiment.
In Indonesia there has been a lot of violence against the affluent Chinese population who have been blamed for economic problems that have plagued the country in recent years.
Until 2003, Malaysia enforced discriminatory laws limiting access to university education for Chinese students who are citizens by birth of Malaysia.

Last edited:

smilingfish

Just a tiny fish
Dec 13, 2006
I kinda knew about the "against Chinese" thing in Indonesia(horrible!) and Malaysia. But I don't think that's racism. Racism is you consider some other race is stupid or dump. And in those 2 cases, I'd rather call it jealousness. Anyway it's still not good.

Chukcha

Electoral Member
Sep 19, 2006
it's very true.
Some of my friends that are russians/white who lived in Uzbekistan, Ukrain, Tatarstan, all say they never felt welcomed, even though they were born there. And the language was always an issue, some of them say they were treated pretty violent if they used to speak russian or any other language.
A friend lived in Indonesia, they say some indonesians were aggressive for their "white", and "infidel", apparently some were even threatening their "white kids", and "to get out of the country before they get killed".
I used to work in a company, my team were mainly chinese and korean, and boy they were racial toward me just because I wasn't one of them. They were actually insulting pretty straight forward, what's strange, is that that wasn't considered to be racism.
And I hate to say this, but when I went to visit Russia few years ago, I observed the same thing though vice versa:) . But no, it isn't just the white, it's the human nature in general I guess.

smilingfish

Just a tiny fish
Dec 13, 2006
It's not good. When you put down or deny an entire race of people it's racism. Why did they limit Chinese people into university in Malaysia?
Because Chinese are too hard working and too good at study, so if there's equal chance, their kids got much less chance to go to college.

Oh, wait, I've heard that some colleges and universities in Canada screen applicants by their names. And if it's a Chinese family name, they will put the files aside until they get enough other students, because Chinese people make their kid study hard like hell with no play time. Is that true? Cus we are immigrating to Canada from China, and I have a son. I'm not going to make my kid(s) study too hard cus that really borders on child abuse, and I've suffered that when I was a kid. Really hate that. But if the chance is not equal...Why doesn't the government just forbid people to send their kids to any classes out of their school!

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Wow, what an interesting topic. I find Canada to be probably the worst source of racism I've felt towards myself as a white male. Not only does everybody but white males, females to a lesser degree get special treatment in some form or another in the private sector and government through legislation, but we're specifically targetted through the media (especially blatantly Black Entertainment Television) as being cool to hate.

This will only eventually backfire when people like myself have had enough and either fight or flee. The wealth, culture and success of Canada originate from nowhere else but the work and genius of European immigrants. Now that they're being turned aside for third worlders by the government, Canada will only fall in terms of quality of life.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Because Chinese are too hard working and too good at study, so if there's equal chance, their kids got much less chance to go to college.

Oh, wait, I've heard that some colleges and universities in Canada screen applicants by their names. And if it's a Chinese family name, they will put the files aside until they get enough other students, because Chinese people make their kid study hard like hell with no play time. Is that true? Cus we are immigrating to Canada from China, and I have a son. I'm not going to make my kid(s) study too hard cus that really borders on child abuse, and I've suffered that when I was a kid. Really hate that. But if the chance is not equal...Why doesn't the government just forbid people to send their kids to any classes out of their school!

Your people get nothing but special treatment from the government and private sector. Stop complaining!

smilingfish

Just a tiny fish
Dec 13, 2006
In conclusion( can I? ), Gonzo's right, it's a human nature. Or maybe all creatures' nature: dislike other people/ creature that's different from themselves.

So the Babel Tower thing really works.

Andem, you remember the discussion about women's rights of abortion & stuff? Kinda like that. I still live in China now, and people of minority nationalities in this country do have more rights than us, like they can have more kids( you know it's forbidden for people like me to have more than 1 kid here), their kids can enter the university at a much lower score in the entrance exam, etc. We don't feel that way like you, It's OK, cus they're minority, and they don't have much advantage on other aspects, and these policies just try to make things equal. And women are protected by the laws b/c we are in disadvantage. So what's wrong with that?

Well screen the Chinese names out of the candidates is not an equal thing cus they have better way to solve the problem.

Chukcha

Electoral Member
Sep 19, 2006
Andem, you remember the discussion about women's rights of abortion & stuff? Kinda like that. I still live in China now, and people of minority nationalities in this country do have more rights than us, like they can have more kids( you know it's forbidden for people like me to have more than 1 kid here)
Sorry to intrude, but I was curious, what was the real purpose of chinese people to overpopulate so quickly and so disasterous in the end?

Vereya

Council Member
Apr 20, 2006
Tula
I guess racism is rooted in biological and historical factors. Each race considers itself the best and worthy to rule others only because it is necessary for its survival. A race that is too acceptive of other races might easily get conquered and destroyed, or it can get totally assimilated by other races, and disappear altogether. So historically racism is a means of preserving a people's or a race's purity and its customs and traditions.
Right now it is not that important, and it is possible to overcome the racial differences in the world of today, but if you look closely, you will probably notice that the most successful in life and the most sexually attractive are the people, whose blood is the purest, no matter what their race might be. Black, or white, or asian - if you are 100% black/white/asian, you will probably be more successful, than your mixed-blood equals. I wonder if anybody else noticed it?

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
I've noticed that the most attractive are mixed races. But that’s more of a taste then anything.
Canada does give special treatment to minorities, gay, women, French, and disabled. Maybe they do need a helping hand but that in itself is a racist policy. It still doesn't solve the problem. Women and minorities still get paid less at top jobs. And they're overlooked in promotion. But the government can say "hey, look how good we are, we're hiring all these minorities and women". Still, top jobs go to the upper white class. Then at the entry level position, white males start to blame women and minorities because they can’t get in. It's a system that has got to chance. But I don't know of a better way to be fare to everyone.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
I think the word "racism" is a politically correct piece of garbage.

Every animal on this planet will consciencly be weary of something or someone different to them, it is in fact part of human nature, it's how far you decide to take it. It's about self-preservation really, but there's no need for offensive words or actions...just remember that though

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Wow, what an interesting topic. I find Canada to be probably the worst source of racism I've felt towards myself as a white male. Not only does everybody but white males, females to a lesser degree get special treatment in some form or another in the private sector and government through legislation, but we're specifically targetted through the media (especially blatantly Black Entertainment Television) as being cool to hate.

This will only eventually backfire when people like myself have had enough and either fight or flee. The wealth, culture and success of Canada originate from nowhere else but the work and genius of European immigrants. Now that they're being turned aside for third worlders by the government, Canada will only fall in terms of quality of life.
I couldn't agree more.

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
I'm not a fan of political correctness. The word "tolerance". In Canada we want everyone to be tolerant. If I said I tolerate you, would you like that? Do you want to be tolerated?
Also, if society is trying to please a minority of sensitive people who don't like a word or a policy, then that’s not a healthy society. It's supposed to be majority rules. Sometimes, if you try to please everyone, you please no one.
Having said that, there are still words you shouldn't call people, or policies that are racist. We have to use common sense. I believe in equality, not political correctness.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
It's ok for you to say Canada should let more european immigrants in Andem, your in Germany, where they did the clever thing and closed the doors to poland.

wish we did.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I'm not a fan of political correctness. The word "tolerance". In Canada we want everyone to be tolerant. If I said I tolerate you, would you like that? Do you want to be tolerated?
Also, if society is trying to please a minority of sensitive people who don't like a word or a policy, then that’s not a healthy society. It's supposed to be majority rules. Sometimes, if you try to please everyone, you please no one.
Having said that, there are still words you shouldn't call people, or policies that are racist. We have to use common sense. I believe in equality, not political correctness.
You make great sense Gonzo,

I agree, the majority should rule. I tried unsuccessfully to get that across here...
http://forums.canadiancontent.net/canadian-politics/53766-before-you-liberals-blow-gasket.html

But the wishy washy feel that, that is why we have the Charter, to over ride the majority and create minority rule.

Ok, I take exception when it comes to Native issues, only to the extent of living up to treaty obligations and such. Not the free hand outs and crap, nor the seemingly multiplicity of laws towards them, when it comes to protesting, either.

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
I do too. Though I'm not Native, I believe that since Natives were here first they carry some weight. Canada is a home on Native land. And the history is not so rosey when it comes to how Canada was formed.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I do too. Though I'm not Native, I believe that since Natives were here first they carry some weight. Canada is a home on Native land. And the history is not so rosey when it comes to how Canada was formed.
You have seen my postings, calling for the Native community to cull itself, be pro active and personaly responsible and accountable?

I still love a good Native joke though.

I consider myself a realist. I will not just blindly defend anyone, if they are indeed innocent, they will get my entire support.

These atributes are sorely lacking amongst the ethicly diverse communities. Looking at ones self, our ones related community with a smile, or with critisism, is not a bad thing.

No matter what your colour or gender or ethnicity, anyone should be able to point out flaws in any community, as long as it is done evenly and without prejudice, as well as constructively.

As we have seen in recent days here, there is a seathing hatred towords the Native communities in southern Quebec, and to some extent, I can understand why. The communities in quetsion, are sorely lacking effective leadership and proper policing. How else are the non natives supposed to view this area?

But dispite all their lacking, is the racial hatred dumped on me acceptable? Absolutely not. It is neither effective, nor constructive. It was merely a weapon of hurt. Albeit a failed attemp, but non the less a clear exposure of the seeds of racism and the prospect of further escalation, if set free with less controls, then are presently applied.

Which brings me to my point. As much as some of the PC regulatory apparatus is out of sync with reality, if it were reigned in, what do you believe the outcome to be?