Puppy gnaws off baby's toes

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com

Associated Press

BOSSIER CITY, La. - A puppy chewed off four of a baby girl's toes next to her sleeping parents, who were then booked on charges of child desertion and criminal negligence, police said Monday.

Mary Shannon Hansche, 22, and Christopher Wayne Hansche, 26, told police they woke to the baby's cries, found her mangled foot and took her to the hospital early Sunday.

Police said that they were sleeping on a mattress and that the month-old girl was in an infant seat beside them when the 6-week-old pit bull began chewing on her toes.
OAS_AD('ArticleFlex_1')

"They did not see the dog injuring the child," police spokesman Mark Natale said.

The puppy might have been trying to nurse on the toes of the baby, a veterinarian speculated.

"I know that sounds a little far-fetched, but that's the first thing that comes to my mind," Michael Dale said.

The girl underwent surgery Sunday in Shreveport. There was no way to reattach her toes, Natale said.

The puppy had no record of receiving shots and will be quarantined for 10 days while it is checked for rabies, officials said. Natale said he did not know what the animal's fate would be after that.

The child will be placed in a foster home until the case against her parents is settled, officials said.

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
Why are stupid people allowed to reproduce? The dog will probably be put down, but the parent’s wont. I think there should be contraceptives in the drinking water and you have to pass a test to be allowed to have kids.

smilingfish

Just a tiny fish
Dec 13, 2006
That's terrible! And pit bull is definitely not for a family with lil kids, esp. with 2 negligent parents.