Keep the world from expiring

gneiss

Sep 25, 2006
www.discounted.ca
Hi guys,

According to WWF the word will expire in 2050 if we don't cut our consumption. It makes a lot of sense. The report gave me a stunning realization that indeed, I have to do my part in order to save the earth. I can not wait for the government's "very ambitious" plan to take effect in 2050.

However, I can not put the pressure entirely on the government either. Join me and the rest of the world for a photo signature campaign giving people a space to make a promise - their personal action plan to save the earth.

www.icanmakeachange.com

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Now see, this is why Environmentalists get a bad name. The WWF is sensationalizing the story by saying the World will end. The Earth can handle almost anything we throw at it. It won't be pleasant for our climate needs, and perhaps humans would become extinct, though I doubt that very much. More likely that our societies will crumble, and there will be isolated pockets of humans who eek out an existance on whatever is left. Just to clarify, I do support our efforts to clean up the mess we've made. I don't think making sensational claims helps the cause, it's like making a scale for imminent climate collapse, like the terrorism alerts.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
I recently read up on some history Tonington you might be interested in. The Black Plague in Europe, has been tied to the Little Ice Age. When the Plague came to Europe from Asia, what is now known as the Little Ice Age was on the move. It was a catalyst that enabled the Plague to claim one third of Europe's population. Scary ****.

annabattler

Electoral Member
Jun 3, 2005
The Fifth Estate is airing a controversial show tonight,attemting to figure out whether global warming is a real and disastrous happening, or whether it might be much more benign.Should be an interesting argument.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
Unless somehow we can convince China and India to cut their emissions, any and all of our efforts will be in vain. But, still am in favor of us doing our best to cut back on pollution..we can lead by example.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I'll agree to that. When I build my house, how ever many years down the road that is, I won't be on the electrical grid, or using municiple water. Even with personal cutbacks by using green technologies, over 50% of Canada's emissions are from industry. Before the liberals left office, they managed to get Auto manufacturers to agree to cut emissions from the new vehicles being produced. Whats really ironic about the whole green technology thing, is that until it becomes more mainstream, some of those technologies may be using less fuel over the lifespan of said product, but more energy is consumed in manufacturing the product. Heres an example. Take a hybrid Toyota Prius and a Hummer. One of them obviously uses less fuel over the lifetime of the vehicle. But when you factor in the R&D costs, costs to convert manufacturing from petrol to hybrid industry, the cost to recycle materials after the vehicle is no longer driveable and costs to ship the vehicles, the Hummer comes out on top. It's made from cheap recyclable steel, the platform it's built on can be produced without changing manufacturing techniques, and it has a longer life span than the Prius.

I'm not advocating for people to start driving Hummers, I think they're ridiculous. Just something to think about when purchasing "green" technologies.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I recently read up on some history Tonington you might be interested in. The Black Plague in Europe, has been tied to the Little Ice Age. When the Plague came to Europe from Asia, what is now known as the Little Ice Age was on the move. It was a catalyst that enabled the Plague to claim one third of Europe's population. Scary ****.

That is indeed scary shyte. We can allready see the spread of disease as a result of the changing climates. I think disease is much more likely to wipe us out than climate alone.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
All the green tech have problems now, but they are the best hope for the future of our planet. I am only afraid that they won't be readily available until big business finds a way to charge us for their usages.:(

gneiss

Sep 25, 2006
www.discounted.ca
Sorry... I don't want to sound pessimistic. This is an honest campaign. It's my world, I love it and I want my grandchildren to see it. We can't rely on government... China... India... Canada... or whoever... we must all do our part. The fight to protect and preserve our natural resources should not just be a rhethorical discussion. Enough discussing it, we need to take action.

Peace!

agentkgb

Nominee Member
Aug 22, 2006
US
agentkgb.wordpress.com
The world will always exist just it might not be one that we can live in. Eventually the climate may become one that humans can't exist in, and it may be very soon. I always recyle and stuff but mostly it seems like it's the companies that pollute and, since they exist for profit and being environmentally friendly is not profitable, it's not likely they'll make a big change without being legally required to. :(

cortex

Electoral Member
Aug 3, 2006
hopelessly entagled
We cannot cut our consumption. We are victims of the ultra success of our economic system, As individuals--all the little things we might do like----recycle--will only buy us a time before an ecological collapse. It will be technology and science that will provide the solution--not because thats the way I would want it to be--but the die has already cast---- we have as a species crossed the rubicon --eaten from that apple of knowledge etc---we can only go forward ----so we get not the politicians nor the lay people involved they are useless--we get the the people who know how to do things working on this problem ---the scientists and engineers----we cut spending and research on any destructive scientific enterprises---ie the phuckers who design the stealth fighter for example can pack their bags---and we spend the money---the resourches we have ---on the brain power that will save our species. the fact is that according to my calculations we should have ALREADY found a cheap reliable sustainable clean energy source to solve all the worlds energy requirements-----we are 100 years behind scheduel due to ---well ww1 and ww2 and the boer war and the vietnameese war and a ****e load of similar stuff.

wallyj

just special
May 7, 2006
not in Kansas anymore
Hi guys,

According to WWF the word will expire in 2050 if we don't cut our consumption. It makes a lot of sense. The report gave me a stunning realization that indeed, I have to do my part in order to save the earth. I can not wait for the government's "very ambitious" plan to take effect in 2050.

http://www.icanmakeachange.com

quote]
The gov'ts plan will take effect much sooner. 2050 is a TARGET date. Unfortunately,the media has allowed the libs,ndp and greens to portray this as a start date continually and unchallenged.This is liking saying you plan on losing 30 pounds by New Years 2008 and your buddies saying that you will be cutting off your arm on New Years eve 2007. Total BS,but they say it to make you look like a fool. Just another reason to clean house in the Canadian BULLSHOT corporation.The conservative plan for a 65% reduction is quite close to the ndp,s 80% reduction.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
EEEEEEEEEEEEK OUT an existance

How about being eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeked out of existance.:laughing7:

Let's see. In 2050, I'll be 107. Me grandkids'll be about 45. Me oldest kid'll be 80 somethun, so SCREW the environment, and the WWF, and everyone else who really thinks that the people who COULD do something to change the way things is, are gonna. That would be the people who are IN CONTROL. AKA, the Chimp, Mein Harper, and Chung-Foo-Laa, or whomever in China.

I've always led a pretty envirnonmentllybuddylife, but that, after readin all the weepy crying bullcrap all these years about global warmin or whatever, Ugg is gonna change.

Gonna buy an old truck, and leave it idlin fer hours. Gonna burn GREEN wood, good and smokey. (have to clean the chimney more offen) Gonna go down and pee in the river. Eat a Big Mac and throw the paper wrappers out the car window. Find a stream with some endangered minnows in it and pour oil on em. Kill a frog. Get a big gun and go shoot some animals. Any animals!! The rarer the better:laughing7: Gonna do what everyone else is doin......Sh@t where I eats.........Make more carbon dioxide.

YAHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOO................................:grommit:

Think it'll work??

Ugg:snorting:

gneiss

Sep 25, 2006
www.discounted.ca
Well... we can save the planet if we'll actually do something. We're a society of talkers instead of doers. We like to criticize but not take action.

To quote George Stroumboulopoulos "If you're not doing anything to help someone, don't get in the way of those who are trying to help."

LESS TALK is needed.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Newbie here. Hi, everyone.

Gov'ts are a joke. There are a lot of companies jumping on the bandwagon a lot faster and with more ease than gov'ts are. Even a few of the big oil companies are actively looking for alternative power sources. While the rest of the world does things, gov'ts talk.
GW is real and is happening, as is biodiversity loss, the planet's fresh water is dwindling, etc. WWF, Sierra Club, etc. are fearmongering, however. The press doesn't make things any better, either. Trying to spread fear and panic is counterproductive. What will work is education about the available info and rational thought about the info.
Sitting back on our lazy asses thinking that the planet will recover is asinine. If it was going to do that, it would have started by now. Instead it continues to get worse. Besides that, attitudes like that display an extreme lack of respect and care for our descendants.