Nanaimo man killed at bar dragged onto street to die

Researcher87

Electoral Member
Sep 20, 2006
In Monsoon West (B.C)
Now, in Nanaimo a young man at the age of 21 was killed in a bar fight. Or what you can consider a bar fight, he was actually jumped by four people and beaten, 2 of them the sons of a fire fighter one of them a volunteer firefighter himself.

Well the young man who was dying was dragged out onto the street until an ambulance arrived, was taken to the local hospital and then shipped to Victoria B.C, where he was pronounced dead.

He was a friend of mine, I wasn't with him the night he died, but I believe the bar was responsible to ensure that he had treatment in the bar, not out on a street in the middle of night. For god sakes one of his other friends was an off-duty paramedic, no reason to take him outside, attend to him inside. To bad if some customer's don't like seeing a person having been beaten.

So that is why I believe the bar is somewhat negligent in his death.

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
Reseacher87
......"he was actually jumped by four people and beaten, 2 of them the sons of a fire fighter one of them a volunteer firefighter "
____________________________________________________________________________________________
Four on One ?,this is so f.....Canadian it just makes me sick.Don,t put a blame on the bar Researcher 87,its the lack of law and leadership ,in our gutless country .
I don,t know what else to say exept I am trying to understand how you feel loosing a friend .
Be strong>.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Research87

That old "victim blame the bar" is crap. I am sorry your friend lost his life though.

Nobody forced your friend to drink there....if he got into a fight...he had to have retaliated in some way himself....

the odds were against him and no doubt when the perps sober up they'll feel so macho until they get charged and find out how cool it is to rot in a cell.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Know how this thing started? The victim, standing beside an apparently abandoned pool table, moved one of the balls. He was accosted and beaten by the returning players. After he was beaten unconscious, the bouncers dragged him outside and dumped him on the sidewalk. I truly hope these animals are sent away for a good long time. I also hope the bar is sued into oblivion.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Know how this thing started? The victim, standing beside an apparently abandoned pool table, moved one of the balls. He was accosted and beaten by the returning players. After he was beaten unconscious, the bouncers dragged him outside and dumped him on the sidewalk. I truly hope these animals are sent away for a good long time. I also hope the bar is sued into oblivion.

In this case, I agree.

The bar hires the bouncers, and they were extremely negligent, from the sound of things anyway.

Too often bars simply hire the toughest guys around as security.......and get guys itching to fight. It is not well known, but one of the questions they ask you when you apply to Holland College's Atlantic Police Academy is "Have you ever worked security in a bar?" If you answer "yes" it is a strike against, as they are fully aware bars usually hire assholes looking to fight as bouncers.

Researcher87

Electoral Member
Sep 20, 2006
In Monsoon West (B.C)
ow how this thing started? The victim, standing beside an apparently abandoned pool table, moved one of the balls. He was accosted and beaten by the returning players. After he was beaten unconscious, the bouncers dragged him outside and dumped him on the sidewalk. I truly hope these animals are sent away for a good long time. I also hope the bar is sued into oblivion.

Agreed.

sarah569

Sep 27, 2007
i fully agree that he shouldnt have been tossed on the street. That was totally careless on the bouncers behalf. I worked/somewhat was in charge of a bar and under no circumstances would i ever have my bouncers throw someone on the street that has just been beaten to death. lets just say that is murder! it has happened where i work we phone an ambulance right away if he is outside someone stays with him till medical help comes.and as far as being a firefighter i thing he should be relieved of those duties that firefighter is supposed to be of help in the community not hurting community!

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007

Looks to me that they were looking for a fight already, and the poor fellow was unlucky enough to give them a "reason". It would be nice if they got a stiff jail sentence(and the bar sued, as it sure sounds like negligence in this case), but they will probably get a suspended sentence or something else that's lenient. This is Canada, home of the judges that don't seem to like punishing people too often.

And to the original poster, I am sorry to hear about the loss of your friend.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Sorry about your friend Researcher. Just no excuse for that kind of stuff. There is a thing called manslaughter, and hopefull they will do at least 10 each.

CHINA: A lot of your posts are used to slag Canada. In China, I would imagine quite a few more people get beaten/tortured/shot. Far more than here. You probably don't hear about it.

Get a grip, ok. No one is in favour of this beating death, and most would agree, punishment is in order. Over here we do punish, but not a bullet in the brain for "speaking against government or whatever", however. Try and come to terms with the horrible totalitarian state you live in without
dissing other countries.

Nuggler

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Welcome to friday fight night on Vancouver Island!

Some some amazing stupid fights when I was younger going to the bar. Something about the southern island and fighting. I don't know what it is but it seems to be almost exclusively southern Van island. Victoria being notorious for unfair fights.

Researcher, I'm am truely sorry you lost your friend. It's a terrible thing.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
The four gentlemen protecting their pool table are murderers. Why has no one pointed this out. If you walk away from a pool table in a bar, then it's empty. This poor f**ker thought he had a table to play on. Then he was beaten by four people and dumped on the street. Sounds like murder for personal gain, ... a pool table. :angry3:

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
i fully agree that he shouldnt have been tossed on the street. That was totally careless on the bouncers behalf. I worked/somewhat was in charge of a bar and under no circumstances would i ever have my bouncers throw someone on the street that has just been beaten to death. lets just say that is murder! it has happened where i work we phone an ambulance right away if he is outside someone stays with him till medical help comes.and as far as being a firefighter i thing he should be relieved of those duties that firefighter is supposed to be of help in the community not hurting community!

hey welcome to the forum, Sarah. I agree with you on this matter, although it was originally posted in october last year.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
The four gentlemen protecting their pool table are murderers. Why has no one pointed this out. If you walk away from a pool table in a bar, then it's empty. This poor f**ker thought he had a table to play on. Then he was beaten by four people and dumped on the street. Sounds like murder for personal gain, ... a pool table. :angry3:

I hate to say it but it's typical of that area. Courtney Wall was murdered by a punk ass kid on the streets of Victoria just before Christmas about 15 yrs ago. He was murdered because he had been accused of pinching the perp's girlfriends bum. The gf lied, trying to make her boyfriend jealous. Courtney died for no good reason. The guy who stabbed him doesn't care. I knew the punk who did it. He didn't care. He got rep for it. He's a tough ass.

The southern Island breeds an entirely different kind of person. It's fine if you move there from somewhere else but there is a underlying darkness, a meanness to many of it's disenfranchised youths that you would only expect in a larger city.

Courtney is only 1 example. I have dozens. I grew up there. The stories I could tell...

Toro

Senate Member

Exactly. Have they been charged?

And if there were bouncers at the bar, they should have intervened. If they chose not to, the bar is liable to some extent.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Research87

That old "victim blame the bar" is crap. I am sorry your friend lost his life though.

Nobody forced your friend to drink there....if he got into a fight...he had to have retaliated in some way himself....

the odds were against him and no doubt when the perps sober up they'll feel so macho until they get charged and find out how cool it is to rot in a cell.

Awfull damn quick to jump on the "blame the victim" wagon eh curiosity? A young man is beaten to death and some how it must be partially his fault?:roll: Nobody "forced him" to drink there? Wonder what your reaction would be to someone making comments like you did concerning a female rape victim?:roll:

triedit

inimitable
Awfull damn quick to jump on the "blame the victim" wagon eh curiosity? A young man is beaten to death and some how it must be partially his fault?:roll: Nobody "forced him" to drink there? Wonder what your reaction would be to someone making comments like you did concerning a female rape victim?:roll:
Can you tell me why you are challenging an opinion from a year and a half ago?

Speaking of which, does anyone have any updates? Seems like its about time for this to go to trial if they were charged...

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I hate to say it but it's typical of that area. Courtney Wall was murdered by a punk ass kid on the streets of Victoria just before Christmas about 15 yrs ago. He was murdered because he had been accused of pinching the perp's girlfriends bum. The gf lied, trying to make her boyfriend jealous. Courtney died for no good reason. The guy who stabbed him doesn't care. I knew the punk who did it. He didn't care. He got rep for it. He's a tough ass.

The southern Island breeds an entirely different kind of person. It's fine if you move there from somewhere else but there is a underlying darkness, a meanness to many of it's disenfranchised youths that you would only expect in a larger city.

Courtney is only 1 example. I have dozens. I grew up there. The stories I could tell...

The incident happened in Nanaimo. I live in Nanaimo and this is not an every day occurrence in that city. I can't believe the jerks were only charged with manslaughter.