Where did your rights go?


CDNBear
#1
I have read alot of complaints about the slippery slope and the fact that we really are not all that free in the West, and it's only getting worse.

Now I do agree, that some of the laws passed, both in Canada and the US, are a tad harsh. Not to mention, highly suspect.

But how has all this really affected you?
 
the caracal kid
#2
The rule of thumb is you are never free to begin.

The governments will grant you a certian size pen to play in, and so long as you are comfortable in the pen, you will delude yourself with thoughts of being free.

The great methodology of the west is that rather than people being overtly opressed, they are covertly oppressed. If you want to see how that works in a simpler manner, look at how the west expands into developing nations (it is the same gameplan as was played out by the europeans who expropriated the lands of the the native americans). When it is all done, not only are the westerners on a leash, they are proud of the collar that they wear.
 
CDNBear
#3
Quote: Originally Posted by the caracal kidView Post

The rule of thumb is you are never free to begin.

The governments will grant you a certian size pen to play in, and so long as you are comfortable in the pen, you will delude yourself with thoughts of being free.

The great methodology of the west is that rather than people being overtly opressed, they are covertly oppressed. If you want to see how that works in a simpler manner, look at how the west expands into developing nations (it is the same gameplan as was played out by the europeans who expropriated the lands of the the native americans). When it is all done, not only are the westerners on a leash, they are proud of the collar that they wear.

I'm well aware of the Globalization of American interests. I have also posted several examples of its history.

I am also aware of the "Great Myth" of freedom in the west.

What i wanted to know, is, how has the tightening of that collar affected you personally?
 
the caracal kid
#4
travel is more aggitating.

Although, I laugh at everybody having to take their shoes off (this was in the US) before boarding a plane (this was recent too).

Nothing quite like watching reactionaries at work. I just hope nobody tries to smuggle a weapon onto a plane via a body cavity......
 
feronia
#5
Not me personally, but a few of my gay and lesbian friends. I don't understand why it's such a big deal if they choose to be mated, who's business is it anyway? If those people pay their taxes a like anyone else does the government has no right to say they can't be married.
 
CDNBear
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by the caracal kidView Post

travel is more aggitating.

Although, I laugh at everybody having to take their shoes off (this was in the US) before boarding a plane (this was recent too).

Nothing quite like watching reactionaries at work. I just hope nobody tries to smuggle a weapon onto a plane via a body cavity......

LOL, ya that would be an interesting BC search.

I'm heading down to Connecticut this weekend to do some work. Since all my pardons cleared years ago. I have never really had an issue crossing the border. Since 9/11, I've only crossed over on bus trip to see the Buffalo Bills. There wasn't an issue with any of us. They asked to see our ID's and we were on our way. That's it. That was about two years ago, and I never go south on vacation. I hope I don't have any issues driving down with all my equipment.

Honest officer, it's a diesel welder, not an atomic device!
 
CDNBear
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by feroniaView Post

Not me personally, but a few of my gay and lesbian friends. I don't understand why it's such a big deal if they choose to be mated, who's business is it anyway? If those people pay their taxes a like anyone else does the government has no right to say they can't be married.

absolutely, the government has no business in anyones bedroom or closet.
 
Sassylassie
#8
I agree feronia and Bear, however if one of the Feds showed up in cover alls wielding a paint brush I might let him spend a couple hours in my bedroom. Opps I'm thinking of Holmes on Homes.

Any law that Government passes that erodes our chartered rights will effects us in the long run, both Bush and the Liberals passed laws that will effect us if they choose to enforce them on regular citizens. It's a slippery slope on labeling someone a terrorist, the Feds could start targeting Protesters under the guise of Terror Suspects or the PC phrase Person Of Interest. It wouldn't be the first time both the US and Canada crossed a line against innocents. Just ask Arar?
 
CDNBear
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by SassylassieView Post

I agree feronia and Bear, however if one of the Feds showed up in cover alls wielding a paint brush I might let him spend a couple hours in my bedroom. Opps I'm thinking of Holmes on Homes.

Any law that Government passes that erodes our chartered rights will effects us in the long run, both Bush and the Liberals passed laws that will effect us if they choose to enforce them on regular citizens. It's a slippery slope on labeling someone a terrorist, the Feds could start targeting Protesters under the guise of Terror Suspects or the PC phrase Person Of Interest. It wouldn't be the first time both the US and Canada crossed a line against innocents. Just ask Arar?

Just remember Trudeau and the War Measures Act. A few people of interest, like labour leaders and the like were picked up. They had less then nothing to do with the FLQ. Still, it was a bold move for a liberal.
 
feronia
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by SassylassieView Post

I agree feronia and Bear, however if one of the Feds showed up in cover alls wielding a paint brush I might let him spend a couple hours in my bedroom. Opps I'm thinking of Holmes on Homes.

Any law that Government passes that erodes our chartered rights will effects us in the long run, both Bush and the Liberals passed laws that will effect us if they choose to enforce them on regular citizens. It's a slippery slope on labeling someone a terrorist, the Feds could start targeting Protesters under the guise of Terror Suspects or the PC phrase Person Of Interest. It wouldn't be the first time both the US and Canada crossed a line against innocents. Just ask Arar?


Excuse my ignorance but isn't that what we used to call Black listing?
 
Researcher87
#11
A friend of mine, a Muslim man, had to go through two more searchers and nearly missed his plane to Toronto.
 

Similar Threads

14
What are human rights?
by Higgins | Feb 19th, 2009
0
Gay Rights successful in N.J
by Researcher87 | Oct 25th, 2006
1
Terrorism and Our Rights
by jensonj | Aug 13th, 2005
no new posts