Human Species May Split in Two

Curiosity
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6057734.stm (external - login to view)

Sounds like Dr. Mengele followers are still with us....

Quote:

Last Updated: Tuesday, 17 October 2006, 08:47 GMT 09:47 UK

Human species 'may split in two'

Humanity may split into an elite and an underclass, says Dr Curry

Humanity may split into two sub-species in 100,000 years' time as predicted by HG Wells, an expert has said.
Evolutionary theorist Oliver Curry of the London School of Economics expects a genetic upper class and a dim-witted underclass to emerge.
The human race would peak in the year 3000, he said - before a decline due to dependence on technology.
People would become choosier about their sexual partners, causing humanity to divide into sub-species, he added.
The descendants of the genetic upper class would be tall, slim, healthy, attractive, intelligent, and creative and a far cry from the "underclass" humans who would have evolved into dim-witted, ugly, squat goblin-like creatures.
Race 'ironed out'
But in the nearer future, humans will evolve in 1,000 years into giants between 6ft and 7ft tall, he predicts, while life-spans will have extended to 120 years, Dr Curry claims.
Physical appearance, driven by indicators of health, youth and fertility, will improve, he says, while men will exhibit symmetrical facial features, look athletic, and have squarer jaws, deeper voices and bigger *****es.
Women, on the other hand, will develop lighter, smooth, hairless skin, large clear eyes, pert breasts, glossy hair, and even features, he adds. Racial differences will be ironed out by interbreeding, producing a uniform race of coffee-coloured people.
However, Dr Curry warns, in 10,000 years time humans may have paid a genetic price for relying on technology.
Spoiled by gadgets designed to meet their every need, they could come to resemble domesticated animals.
Receding chins
Social skills, such as communicating and interacting with others, could be lost, along with emotions such as love, sympathy, trust and respect. People would become less able to care for others, or perform in teams.
Physically, they would start to appear more juvenile. Chins would recede, as a result of having to chew less on processed food.
There could also be health problems caused by reliance on medicine, resulting in weak immune systems. Preventing deaths would also help to preserve the genetic defects that cause cancer.
Further into the future, sexual selection - being choosy about one's partner - was likely to create more and more genetic inequality, said Dr Curry.
The logical outcome would be two sub-species, "gracile" and "robust" humans similar to the Eloi and Morlocks foretold by HG Wells in his 1895 novel The Time Machine.
"While science and technology have the potential to create an ideal habitat for humanity over the next millennium, there is a possibility of a monumental genetic hangover over the subsequent millennia due to an over-reliance on technology reducing our natural capacity to resist disease, or our evolved ability to get along with each other, said Dr Curry.
He carried out the report for men's satellite TV channel Bravo.

Far too many crumpets in this guy's diet! Methinks the dim-witted underclass is already alive and well in this author!

EastSideScotian
haha....de-evolution? I thought we were only supose to get better. Like grow extra fingers and maybe wings or something....

Oh wait the majority of Evolution is BS. I forgot.

I dont really buy this theroy, because, I have seen many an Attractive cupple give birth to dumb *** ugly kids. And lets take a trip to Newfoundland.....They got some fine ladies but some ugly mothers and fathers.....

So this theroy would be incorrect, because if anything ugly people would not want to do it with ugly people, and all the ugly people would die out.....but thats also bs...so there for its all bs.

I think not
Human Species May Split in Two

We did that already, the right and the left.

Zzarchov
I'd believe it, I'd believe his descendants become the tall, thin, beautiful version too..

Seeing as he obviously just watched the movie of "time machine" which bears only passing resemblence to the book, which explains it alot better/ has a point other than being Supermodels fight space monkeys.

Seeing as what happens between the two species, I hope my kids are the ugly squat Morlocks, who eat the positively retarded but pretty Eloi (The first one is born, Paris Hilton), and are technologically advanced (being the descendants of the people who actually WORKED for a living)

Researcher87
Quote:

Race 'ironed out'
But in the nearer future, humans will evolve in 1,000 years into giants between 6ft and 7ft tall, he predicts, while life-spans will have extended to 120 years, Dr Curry claims.
Physical appearance, driven by indicators of health, youth and fertility, will improve, he says, while men will exhibit symmetrical facial features, look athletic, and have squarer jaws, deeper voices and bigger *****es.
Women, on the other hand, will develop lighter, smooth, hairless skin, large clear eyes, pert breasts, glossy hair, and even features, he adds. Racial differences will be ironed out by interbreeding, producing a uniform race of coffee-coloured people.
However, Dr Curry warns, in 10,000 years time humans may have paid a genetic price for relying on technology.
Spoiled by gadgets designed to meet their every need, they could come to resemble domesticated animals.
Receding chins

Wow, domesticated animals. Cool! However, whats the point in caring if humans split off into sub species and all that. The human race will be wiped out in thousands, hundreds, or a few million years.

EastSideScotian
Quote: Originally Posted by Researcher87View Post

Wow, domesticated animals. Cool! However, whats the point in caring if humans split off into sub species and all that. The human race will be wiped out in thousands, hundreds, or a few million years.

Or months....

humanbeing
Wow, what a bunch of nonsense. This seems like a very unlikely future.

It really doesn't even merit a response as to what is wrong with this prediction.

Besides, surely in a thousand years, we will have mastered the manipulation of genes... So that, coupled with the fact that this sort of technology would be dirt cheap within a thousand years makes it seem like the technology could potentially be freely accessed by all. Then there is that chance we will have discarded our weak, fleshy bodies altogether, probably within the next 100 years or so.

Vereya
We have already split into two different species - males and females.

Carmoral
OMG! that pic is the spitting image of my next door neighbours...spooky!!

But whatse ven more spooky is that we already have cyber pets and freaky robots in our houses already as bloody pets, *shudder* those things make me want to run a mile.

#juan
The human genome project was completed ahead of time and I think genetic engineering will be part of the not too distant future. I consider this to be more frightening than the natural course of evolution.

http://www.ornl.gov/sci/techresource...ct/about.shtml

ottawabill
and mabe the apes will rise up and take over and learn English while these two new species fight each other...

Damn you!!!! planet of the apes!!

Vereya
Quote: Originally Posted by ZzarchovView Post

Seeing as what happens between the two species, I hope my kids are the ugly squat Morlocks, who eat the positively retarded but pretty Eloi (The first one is born, Paris Hilton), and are technologically advanced (being the descendants of the people who actually WORKED for a living)

Well, I hope that my future kids are beautiful and clever, too. With me as their mom, I don't think it's impossible!

s_lone
I think the problem with this theory is that he is assuming the lower class will never rebel. He seems to be suggesting that our present social hierarchy will be eternal.

humanbeing
Quote: Originally Posted by s_loneView Post

I think the problem with this theory is that he is assuming the lower class will never rebel. He seems to be suggesting that our present social hierarchy will be eternal.

We've had revolutions throughout history and what not. In our case, I believe it will come down to technology more than anything (probably not the revolution of workers against the capitalists, or anything, that some people are hoping for). When robots handle all the labour, it will basically follow that there is no need for relations between bosses and workers, or governments and citizens. We won't need a boss for our workplace because we won't have a workplace, and the government won't even be able to kid us that it needs all this tax money for health care and road building). Hopefully -and I don't know if I have enough faith in humanity or not- we will realize that there is no need for that kind of nonsense when lots of stuff is being made practically for free.

But I hardly think that is the first problem with this prediction. As someone already said, eastsidescotian I believe, two hot intellectuals don't always make a hot intellectual child. His handsome face won't necessarily jive with her pretty face when it comes to that child... A kid who is potentially a tall, sexy, genius may never have a chance because his or her poor mother can barely afford food, nevermind school... while a short, ugly, goof may breeze through life on his huge allowance... A man may cheat on his "upper class" wife with a "lower class" cleaning lady from his workplace... An emperor, or a politician, may use his wealth and power to have his way with many women, opting for quantity over quality in his random, numerous flings. These some of the small things which I think knock this prediction on its ***.

And where the heck does he come up with this life expectancy of 120 years? Did he pull it out of thin air? That is what it sounds like, and that is not what anyone from a school of economics ought to do. A thousand years from now, if we were still in fleshy humanoid bodies (which I kind of doubt), we should such control over genetics as to allow a body to survive as long as it possible. 120 seems too conservative. The only thing I can guess it that he thinks the high roof on life expectancy (like the current 120 years or so as some old geezers have shown), will be a factor in mating. How he comes to that conclusion as an economist boggles my mind. Sounds more like a wannabe prophet. There is nothing, past or present, which suggests this is a factor in mating with others. There is nothing that says looking like a supermodel is tied to making you live 120+ years. This whole prediction seems like a joke to me.

Curiosity
My first question posited when I read this was:

Gee which one will be more comfortable in life - more satisfied and happier?

Nobody has asked.

Everyone has been concentrating on intellect and physical appearance primarily and what that new human would contribute - if anything - to the world.

Some of the most unstable and happy creatures are narcissistic, lotus eaters whose every move is calculated to impress. Terrible life - consumed by neurotic fear, never having enough of anything.

The happiest people I have ever met were a group of adult day-care folk who had Down Syndrome and lived their lives and performed their paid day jobs to the fullest.

jimmoyer
Happiness a goal in evolution ?

Hmmm...

I don't think happiness is a goal in our evolution.

Happiness is thought of as an aside after our curiosity
forces us to go in a direction with unforseen consequences.

----------------------------------------------------------

However, I do see us actively consciously engineering our own evolution with
the genome project, with nano-technology.

And the purpose will be to make us supermen, superwomen.
Eradicating disease, increasing our life spans, make us more efficient.

And this last goal of making us more efficient, I see several categories:

1. get rid of memory problems
2. get rid of emotional barriers that slow us on productivity ---- that one will be weird.
3. an embedded link to a network that allows us to find answer to any question of the moment.
Last edited by jimmoyer; Oct 23rd, 2006 at 01:10 PM..

Kreskin
100,000 years? Heck, we'll be lucky to make it to the end of the Bush Administration.

jimmoyer
Yep, it's all about Bush.

From the Ptolemy system to the Copernicus System to the Bush System.

All revolves about Bush.

Kreskin
Quote: Originally Posted by jimmoyerView Post

Yep, it's all about Bush.

From the Ptolemy system to the Copernicus System to the Bush System.

All revolves about Bush.

Just the crappy parts.

jimmoyer
.........oy veh..................
Last edited by jimmoyer; Oct 23rd, 2006 at 02:56 PM..

jimmoyer
VAMPIRE IMMORTALITY

All the 5 senses work better.
We think that's perfection.

And we think perfection is happiness ?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Happiness a goal in evolution ?

Hmmm...

I don't think happiness is a goal in our evolution.

Happiness is thought of as an aside after our curiosity
forces us to go in a direction with unforseen consequences.

----------------------------------------------------------

2. get rid of emotional barriers that slow us on productivity ---- that one will be weird.
3. an embedded link to a network that allows us to find answer to any question of the moment.

humanbeing
Quote: Originally Posted by CuriosityView Post

My first question posited when I read this was:

Gee which one will be more comfortable in life - more satisfied and happier?

Nobody has asked.

Gee... I've been too busy thinking about how much BS what this guy from the london school of economics said.

But to try and answer your question, were the happy people with down syndrome oppressed and forced into doing things, or were their material needs unsatisfied?

Probably not. Not that these are the only things by which to measure happiness or anything, but they might be factors...

Here, in our wacky prediction, if you assume an upper class and a lower class, it probably follows that if this came to be, the class that is being exploited is the one that will be less happy, at least, when they are being exploited (if they even figure they are being exploited). Whenever the 'upper class' talked of their superior forms and abilities, it would follow that any 'lower class' who was actually bothered by such things and thought himself inferior, would be less happy, at least at that moment. I'm also assuming that this bizarre future society is much like ours, where we haven't changed ourselves too much with technology, and where many people set too high of standards for themselves (aided especially by advertising, what with the supermodels and the Joneses & all). So probably even the upper class would be uncomfortable with themselves.

But besides that, this wacko prediction from that economics school Dr. hasn't told us a great deal about what his imaginary future world will look like, so it is really hard to discern who is happy and who is not. Frick, it's hard to answer that question when you look at the our world, today, when we have it all around us to look at, where we don't need to use our imaginations. Plus, it comes down to the individual person more than anything.
Last edited by humanbeing; Oct 24th, 2006 at 09:02 AM..

Daz_Hockey
I think to be honest, that theory is very idealistic, for example, the bit that suggests "everyone will be coffee-coloured because of interbreeding", now, do you REALLY think that kind of a comment wont stir up a lot of shyte?.

Cus I think it will, so what your suggesting is that the darker population will slowly envelop the white's?...this sounds like "nation of islam" mantra....and a lot of people will say "not on your nelly!!".

I find fault in this because, as long as there is artificial insemination, just like smallpox, each race should be around. Also, surely with this technology we have created a way to, in fact dodge evolution and stay the same?.

I just think that is quite n unfounded article.

humanbeing
Quote: Originally Posted by jimmoyerView Post

This seems much more likely than what our silly economist from the London school predicts. I personally can't wait for 1 and 3, and some aspects of 2.

jimmoyer
Ann Rice's Vampire novels best explore immortal-like long lives.
And explores the idea of humans having excellent perception powers in their 5 senses.

However, the weariness of a long life ?

Can only be understood by the present races of mankind who by definition have short lives.

When you're 50, you know this for sure.

Vereya
I don't think you can get weary of a long life. A longer life span means that you age slower, so you will have more productive years. It means that you can achieve more, you can see more, and you can get so much nore positive and interesting and fun things out of life. And having a longer life would probably mean that you won't hurry with such important events in your life, like getting an education, choosing a career or getting married. You will have more time to look around you, to think, to make a decision and to choose what is really best for you, so probably you won't make such a mess of life as many people are making nowadays.

elevennevele
As for the selective mating part, I guess this evolution prophet hasnít witnessed a guy in a bar when he is drunk and horny. Not all that selective when it comes to the mating.

Oh yeah, but that problem will all be wiped out by virtual reality and sex robots.

WilliamAshley
Quote: Originally Posted by elevenneveleView Post

As for the selective mating part, I guess this evolution prophet hasnít witnessed a guy in a bar when he is drunk and horny. Not all that selective when it comes to the mating.

Oh yeah, but that problem will all be wiped out by virtual reality and sex robots.

Which one are your descendants?

as if people will be procreating naturally then as anything but a passtime.

genetic laws?

thou child shall have intelligence as defined by the APA and the FDA
thou child shall not have any defects which will take up tax payer dollars
thou child shall worship the government and large multinational corporations

due to labour being cruel and unusual punishment, the child cannot be born from the mother, for it would be sentances to jail for assualt causing bodily harm

thou child shall be born in the acme baby machine as supplied from both the parents dead skin, as sexual organs are premiscuous and maybe even, smutten. since god only said to multiply and said sexual acts are unclean, obviously avoiding sex completely kills two birds with one stone.

I think that this would lead to really small people able to lift large wieghts with big heads, meanwhile they would wear a hologram, to appear or sound etc.. as they would like.

humans will start to be smaller because they take less to maintain, the the extent that it is all redundant, my gosh I'm nearly insane now, I can't imagine what 3000 Ad would be like.

If I'm not alive then, what does it matter?

elevennevele
Quote: Originally Posted by WilliamAshleyView Post

Which one are your descendants?

Ok, I do have a sense of humour and I will like to believe that this implies you have one too.

As for the big bang that was me, Iíll have you know sir, my parents were not only awake, but more than awake. In fact, if they could have been any more cognitive, they would have conceived me with a mere thought.

And if there is a God who peeks into the private bedrooms of His or Her creations, that God would have said, ďIt doesnít get any better than this.Ē

Now if you will please, Iíll appreciate that you get your mind out of the gutter image you probably have right now of my parents.

elevennevele
There is another flaw I would like to add as to the evolution prophetís theory in that he doesnít take into account future advances in plastic surgery.

An ugly woman will be able to make herself into a very attractive woman therefore becoming quite capable of attracting an ugly man who also had advanced plastic surgery.