Research Questionnaire

designdude

Oct 8, 2006
Hey all,

You all probably hate stuff like this but if you can just bear with me for a bit I would be grateful :). I'm a university student conducting a research on sustainable design/green buildings(conserve resources) and info architecture. As part of the project, we must send out a questionnaire for people to answer. The questions relate to green architecture and web design/navigation. Even if you dont know a whole lot about green buildings please feel free to answer it. You can answer directly in the thread by placing an asterisk beside the option you prefer or send it to me through a PM. There are no right and wrong answers, we are just interested in your opinions. But before you participate please visit this link:
http://www.freewebs.com/thomportfolio/Consent%20Form.doc
and download/read/sign the consent form either electronically or by hand (scanned image of signed copy returned as attachment to my email). If you have any questions please PM me. I know it seems like alot of trouble but your opinions are highly valuable! Thanks a bunch.

Oh yea deadline is Oct 13th.

User Study Questionnaire

Sustainability

1. What does it mean for something to be ‘sustainable’?
a) to keep going
b) to keep in existence, maintain
c) being eco-friendly

2. What does it mean for something to be ‘designed’?
a) thought about
b) executed in an artistic manner
c) to plan out in systematic visual form

3. How many sustainable buildings do you think you have been in?
a) none
b) 1 – 5
c) 6 – 10
d) over 10

4. Do you believe a energy-efficient green building can be just as efficient, or even more than a regular building?
a) Yes
b) No
c) Don't know.

5. Do you think we should adopt more mandatory minimum energy-efficient standards for buildings?
a) Yes
b) No
c) Don't care.

6. Would you purchase sustainable features for a building even if it does cost more than the conventional product or home?
a) Yes
b) No

7. If no, would you live in a smaller home that is sustainable or a larger one that is conventional?
a) I would prefer to live in the smaller, sustainable home.
b) I would prefer to live in the larger, conventional home.

8. What would be needed to be done or included in order for you to consider purchasing a sustainable home?
a) Nothing. I already would consider purchasing one.
b) Lowering the cost of the home.
c) Including more features into the home.
d) Other: _____________________________________________

Navigation

9. Does enormous amount of information on a website overwhelm you, causing you to abandon the site?
a) Yes
b) No

10. When navigating a site, do you often get confused when the website doesn’t emphasize on a linear path for the user?
a) Yes
b) No

11. Do you prefer the navigation menu of the website as a sidebar or a top-bar?
a) I prefer the menu on top of the page
b) I prefer a menu on the side of the page
c) Either one is fine

12. What kind of websites do you prefer? (circle as many as you wish)
a) Flash
b) HTML/CSS
c) Other: _____________________________________________

13. Do you find PDF files on the Internet for viewing to be a nuisance?
a) Yes
b) No

14. Would you spend time reading on a website that have highly comprehensive information or would you rather spend time on a website which is less comprehensive but provides all the key information quickly?
a) Prefer highly comprehensive website over less comprehensive but more straight to the point.
b) Prefer less comprehensive and straight to the point over a highly comprehensive website.
c) Depends on the kind of information I'm looking for

15. How much time do you have to search for information online per day?
a) 10+ hrs
b) 5 – 9 hrs
c) 2 – 4 hrs
d) 1 hr or less

Last edited: