Can We Still Speak Our Thoughts Openly?

Kreskin
Quote: Originally Posted by Wednesday's Child

Kreskin - lost me on that one....

I'm blonde so it's not expected that I know. :P

Jewing down, that was "being cheap", referring to being cheap like the jewish. My parents used that term constantly although I don't think they ever understood what it meant. "I jewed him down" was referring to acting like a cheap son of a gun during deal making.

Curiosity
Ha Kreskin -teasing only

I was born and grew up in Winnipeg before moving to Vancouver - I heard many statements such as the one you pointed out and others even in my own parents' group of friends. There were many Jewish families as neighbors and friends in Winnipeg.

I think people in those days did not realize the hurts they delivered and for that reason having it brought out for us to understand is a good thing but having PC "legislated" and "forced" I think is way over the top. Most people are willing to curtail their words realizing they are hurtful (except on forums lol).

People will do what they believe is ok in their world.

My Black girlfriend often uses the "n" word about an uncle of hers who drinks too much ... even then she says is with a kind of affection which was missing before we realized PC was something we should think about.

So...I thought of something.... when I negotiate in my purchasing moments.... I can say I "blonded them down"??? :P

hermanntrude
tamarin what you say is true. But I think it's BECAUSE the term is considered offensive that it's used to confirm a bond. My friends can call me a twat or a unt or whatever they like because the bond is strong and I know they couldn't possibly mean it. The stronger they word it the stronger the bond must be. But I wouldn't be impressed if a stranger started coming out with that. So the word still has its offensiveness

Kreskin
I don't see alot of legislated PC, but then again I live in a small fishing village on Vancouver Island.

Curiosity
Kreskin

Lucky you - my sister lived in a fishing village because she married a commercial fisherman ... they moved finally to Victoria... but she loved it....shhhh don't tell anyone....the village will not remain small....

Sassylassie
LOL Kreskin do you have Cows in your fishing village. When I was house hunting we rented an apartment in a rather seedy area and it wasn't uncommon for black males to call each other the N word. I was called a White Bitch on several occasions, just for walking past a group of thugs with their pants down to their knees and their asses showing. Some of the youth today have vulgar and degradration down to a fine art, yet I couldn't get away with two of the words they use to describe me. PC gone amok.

Kreskin
Quote: Originally Posted by Sassylassie

LOL Kreskin do you have Cows in your fishing village. When I was house hunting we rented an apartment in a rather seedy area and it wasn't uncommon for black males to call each other the N word. I was called a White Bitch on several occasions, just for walking past a group of thugs with their pants down to their knees and their asses showing. Some of the youth today have vulgar and degradration down to a fine art, yet I couldn't get away with two of the words they use to describe me. PC gone amok.

I wouldn't base our standards on a group of thugs with their pants down to their knees.