If we can download off the radio why not off the computer?

gangstalking

Electoral Member
Sep 10, 2006
If I can download a song from the radio. Eg. Tape it. Why can't I download that same some via the internet. Does one format have more value than the other format?

I mean why is Britney free to download/tape off the radio, but the same exact song can not be downloaded/taped off the internet?

Basically if I take that same song tape/download off the radio and convert it to Mp3 then it's the same thing, so why the big deal about getting the same song off the Internet?

Also if I download the song off of an Internet radio station onto my computer there does not seem to be a big fuss about that either.

I realise with the new free downloading site http://spiralfrog.com/ spiral frog coming later this month it will not be that big a deal, cause downloading will once agian be free the way it should be, but it still bothers me that this was such an issue.

I grew up with being able to tape songs off the radio, but those exact songs on my computer are illegal and I have never understood they why's.

The deal they have inked with start-up SpiralFrog allows consumers to access and download UMG's entire library at no cost – provided they're willing to watch advertising as they download the music.

Graeme

Electoral Member
Jun 5, 2006
RE: If we can download off the radio why not off the compute

I guess you don't realize that those copies of songs on cassette tapes are illegal.

There was a big contravery when recordable cassettes first came out.

Graeme

Electoral Member
Jun 5, 2006

Just read a copy write clause and you will see why they are illegal.

then generally say "no unauthorized copies in whole or in part"

gangstalking

Electoral Member
Sep 10, 2006
Re: RE: If we can download off the radio why not off the com

Graeme said:
Just read a copy write clause and you will see why they are illegal.

then generally say "no unauthorized copies in whole or in part"

Do you mean taping songs off the radio onto a tape is ilegal?

Or do you mean taping songs off a music tape to a music tape is illegal or both?

Cause I thought taping songs off the radio was legal, I could be wrong on this.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
RE: If we can download of

most radio stations talk over the beginning/end of songs to try and cut down on commercial copying of songs too

humanbeing

Electoral Member
Jul 21, 2006

Summed it up pretty well, Graeme.

And to cover another of gang's points, there might not be as big of a ruckus surrounding the downloading of music from an internet radio station (or taping from an am/fm radio or other source) because less people are doing it relative to just filesharing mp3s from audio CD sources. I'd imagine that's not the only reason, but it's probably a big one.

Just because they are illegal though, doesn't mean I won't continue to download audio files (and video and software). I've never been a fan of intellectual copyright, which is why I almost never pay attention to those laws. I might take flak for that, but I don't care.

gangstalking

Electoral Member
Sep 10, 2006
Re: RE: If we can download of

hermanntrude said:
most radio stations talk over the beginning/end of songs to try and cut down on commercial copying of songs too

However there are quite a few that play songs without any commercials, you know those commercial free music stations. So you could be there for close to an hour without hearing anything but the songs.

A lot of people are going to continue to download, once they had the taste of freedom, they were not willing to give it up.

This is just one more reason why in December this spiral frog free download site is going to come into effect, they finally realise that this is what consumers want, and they have now found a way to still get their payments via ads.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Re: If we can download off the radio why not off the compute

Regarding spiral frog, the music you will be able to download will contain DRM, which will limit what you can listen to it on plus where you can listen to it. Generally, DRM crippled music will only allow you to listen to it on the PC it is downloaded to and you will be unable to burn it to a CD.

This service will appeal to the casual listener I imagine, anyone wants music without restrictions will continue to pay for it or download it via illegal means.

http://bigpicture.typepad.com/comments/2006/08/spiral_frog.html

gangstalking

Electoral Member
Sep 10, 2006

For me I don't burn cd's, why would you with mp3 format's now available.

Also people can get their own copies, or download it to different computers.

A little less convient that conventional downloading, but a step in the right direction.

gangstalking

Electoral Member
Sep 10, 2006

DurkaDurka said:
Have they explained how the add supported concept is going to work?

They did not really go into details, but I assume their downlown engine will have ads that you have to watch as you download.

This is all the info on their site now, not a lot of details thus far.
http://spiralfrog.com/about.aspx

humanbeing

Electoral Member
Jul 21, 2006

I think they can crack most of these DRM-type things already, no?

Usually, a few enlightened folks will figure out ways to compromise the security rather quickly, then eventually, it spreads until anyone interested can download a free easy-to-use program with cute little icons and what not that bypasses the security and lets you do whatever you want with the software/data in question.

Anyhow, if they are going to have an ad-supported concept, then (assuming it is otherwise worthwhile) I look forward to the techniques that let you disable the ads. I'm not a big fan of looking at adverts, myself. :)

Humans are creative and love their creativity, and they love to enjoy the fruits of their creativity. Makes sense to me that the industry is fighting an uphill battle on this one.

gangstalking

Electoral Member
Sep 10, 2006

humanbeing said:

Usually, a few enlightened folks will figure out ways to compromise the security rather quickly, then eventually, it spreads until anyone interested can download a free easy-to-use program with cute little icons and what not that bypasses the security and lets you do whatever you want with the software/data in question.

Anyhow, if they are going to have an ad-supported concept, then (assuming it is otherwise worthwhile) I look forward to the techniques that let you disable the ads. I'm not a big fan of looking at adverts, myself. :)

Humans are creative and love their creativity, and they love to enjoy the fruits of their creativity. Makes sense to me that the industry is fighting an uphill battle on this one.

That's funny, you are already thinking of ways to get around this. I was just happy that they had come to their senses. I am laughing as I write this. I guess we will always find a way, that's what's so wonderful about the human spirit.

gangstalking

Electoral Member
Sep 10, 2006

humanbeing said:

That's funny, you are already thinking of ways to get around this. I was just happy that they had come to their senses. I am laughing as I write this. I guess we will always find a way, that's what's so wonderful about the human spirit.

Graeme

Electoral Member
Jun 5, 2006

Actually most DRM is very easy to get around because you can rip the audio feed between the decoding software and the sound card (Any recording software will do this)

The problem is you can only rip in real time.

(of course there are other hacks for DRM it just depends on what type of DRM is being used)

gangstalking

Electoral Member
Sep 10, 2006
Re: RE: If we can download off the radio why not off the com

Graeme said:
Actually most DRM is very easy to get around because you can rip the audio feed between the decoding software and the sound card (Any recording software will do this)

The problem is you can only rip in real time.

(of course there are other hacks for DRM it just depends on what type of DRM is being used)

How do you all find this stuff out, or just know this stuff? It's too funny, even before this site goes live, they are going to have their hands full. :D

Graeme

Electoral Member
Jun 5, 2006

Well I just know this stuff from experience and understanding how the technologies work.

as for spiral frog, a good ad spot could easily make them a dollar so long as they do a well enough job ensuring customers are watching. (interactive ad possibly).

kidwaisana

Oct 14, 2006
hi there

Guys a quick quesition..is there a way to download songs from internet radio sites???I want to save the songs playing on the local radio station in Auckland..Is there a way to do it???would appreciate help guys...
cheers

wallyj

just special
May 7, 2006
not in Kansas anymore
I believe the reason there is a bigger stink about internet downloads than radio is because you can be traced on the internet. Therefore they know where to send the bill.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
There is a big difference between streamed audio and a ripped mp3. That being, bit rate. Internet audio streams are highly compressed compared to even a poor mp3 of a song you may download off a popular file sharing network.