Can anyone help me in picking an English name? Thank you

Spring
When my parents gave me a name when I was just born, they didn't envision that I would one day go to Canada and my English-speaking friends would find it difficult to pronouce my name.

Then I ask my Canadian friends to make an English name for me. They disagree and think I should always use my real name.

But the problem is that people wouldn't remember you when they couldn't remember your name, if they have no reason to remember you.

So to make people easy to pronounce my name and remember me, I need your help to pick an English name for me.

I have some ideas here, also welcome if you have another.

Spring -- that's the meaning of my name in my language.

Cathy -- one day an old gentleman thought it was cathy when I told him my name.

Tree -- it sounds like my real name in pronunciation

Ivy -- no any related to my name in meaning or pronunciation, but it's easy, only three letters, and I also like it.

Thanks a lot.

Kodiak
I would always introduce myself with my real name and if the person had difficulties with your name tell them your nickname might be easier. What is you name in your native language?

Vereya
Choosing another name is a very important task. In a lot of cultures there existed such a tradition - when a person came of age, he or she chose another name. The same with getting another name when changing religions. A person's name is a kind of a protective and enhancing symbol for that person. So when you choose a name, first think of what side of your personality you want to enhance, and choose a name accordingly. Choose several different names that you like, and try to see, which one fits you the most, with which one you are feeling most comfortable.

gangstalking
Change your name change your destiny, it's a choice. Don't change for others, but if you really feel a need and this is what you want go for it. I like Ivy and Spring they are both nice names.

gc
Spring sounds good to me for two reasons:

a) it is pretty unique. I've never heard the name before

b) it's a translation of your real name. So you're not really changing your name, you're just translating it.

hermanntrude
yeah I agree with gc. Spring is unique, pretty, and not changing things.

Maybe we should see a picture of you and say what we think u look like?

lady_hawk_ca
I had to change my name when I moved to Spain (20 years ago) to a Spanish version of the name, and well, I hated it. I think if you can keep your real name then do, people may pronounce it funny but hey, that's their problem, not yours. I say keep your real name.

mabudon
Also, you want something that YOU can pronounce easily.

I do tend to agree tho, that if there's any way you could keep your actual name, you might as well, even if you had to anglicize the pronunciation a bit- "Tree" could easily become "Tori" (which is usually short for Victoria, from what I've seen)or maybe "Turi", pronounced however you like...

MAN, I have tries to find an equivalent to my name in japanese and it ain't easy, as anything that sounds close is invariably a female name

GreenGreta
Spring is very pretty, and plus, you've already chosen it for your nik here.

I like it.

Daz_Hockey
I personally think you should keep your name, I know several chinese and indian people who've "anglosized" their names, Bob, Jimmy and Della are some I've heard.

But I think you should keep using your original one, it'll get you noticed for one (not always a bad thing) and then you wont keep forgetting your "other" name.

Spring
Quote: Originally Posted by Vereya

Choosing another name is a very important task. In a lot of cultures there existed such a tradition - when a person came of age, he or she chose another name. The same with getting another name when changing religions. A person's name is a kind of a protective and enhancing symbol for that person. So when you choose a name, first think of what side of your personality you want to enhance, and choose a name accordingly. Choose several different names that you like, and try to see, which one fits you the most, with which one you are feeling most comfortable.

Thanks. If I use a new name, will it cause any problem with my real name in some official documents?

Spring
Quote: Originally Posted by gangstalking

Change your name change your destiny, it's a choice. Don't change for others, but if you really feel a need and this is what you want go for it. I like Ivy and Spring they are both nice names.

Really changing name could change destiny?

I like Spring and Ivy too.

Spring
Quote: Originally Posted by Kodiak

I would always introduce myself with my real name and if the person had difficulties with your name tell them your nickname might be easier. What is you name in your native language?

Most people found it hard to pronounce my name.

Daz_Hockey
nope, it shouldn't, my Uncle's wife (yes he has a thai bride, he lives in thailand with her) has a completely unpronouncable name so we just call her "Ice"

she's happy, the government couldnt really care, it's like my Real name is Kelly - YES Kelly - For A MAN, but everyone calls me Darren or Daz, wont be a problem at all, trust me.

Spring
Quote: Originally Posted by gc

Spring sounds good to me for two reasons:

a) it is pretty unique. I've never heard the name before

b) it's a translation of your real name. So you're not really changing your name, you're just translating it.

Thank you for your idea.

Spring
Quote: Originally Posted by hermanntrude

yeah I agree with gc. Spring is unique, pretty, and not changing things.

Maybe we should see a picture of you and say what we think u look like?

The Avatar is a picture of me, which is taken a couple of weeks ago.

What name I look like do you think from this one?

Spring
Quote: Originally Posted by lady_hawk_ca

I had to change my name when I moved to Spain (20 years ago) to a Spanish version of the name, and well, I hated it. I think if you can keep your real name then do, people may pronounce it funny but hey, that's their problem, not yours. I say keep your real name.

Thanks. But I think I want my potential employers to be able to call me from bunches of names as soon as possible.

Spring
Quote: Originally Posted by mabudon

Also, you want something that YOU can pronounce easily.

I do tend to agree tho, that if there's any way you could keep your actual name, you might as well, even if you had to anglicize the pronunciation a bit- "Tree" could easily become "Tori" (which is usually short for Victoria, from what I've seen)or maybe "Turi", pronounced however you like...

MAN, I have tries to find an equivalent to my name in japanese and it ain't easy, as anything that sounds close is invariably a female name

Yeah, we all have difficulties when choosing an English name. Hope you find a good one.

Spring
Quote: Originally Posted by GreenGreta

Spring is very pretty, and plus, you've already chosen it for your nik here.

I like it.

Thank you. I'm glad so many people like it. I'll use this name.

Spring
Quote: Originally Posted by Daz_Hockey

nope, it shouldn't, my Uncle's wife (yes he has a thai bride, he lives in thailand with her) has a completely unpronouncable name so we just call her "Ice"

she's happy, the government couldnt really care, it's like my Real name is Kelly - YES Kelly - For A MAN, but everyone calls me Darren or Daz, wont be a problem at all, trust me.

Thank you Daz

Anyway, I'll always keep my original name. Only need some easier name to make other people easier.

fuzzylogix
You look like the sort of person that people will remember regardless of your name.

hermanntrude
Quote: Originally Posted by fuzzylogix

You look like the sort of person that people will remember regardless of your name.

you have a weird admirer

I'd say from the photo that Spring seems to work, and as someone else mentioned you already chose it for here... it may be that the decision is already made.

I could think of you as a Rachel as well.

Machjo
How about Qi, or Tsi?

Andem
I like Spring If it's a translation of your name, then go with it.. Although since your nickname is already Spring here, I think you've probably already made up your mind.

Spring

Thanks

I also like some people remember my name

Spring
Quote: Originally Posted by hermanntrude

you have a weird admirer

I'd say from the photo that Spring seems to work, and as someone else mentioned you already chose it for here... it may be that the decision is already made.

I could think of you as a Rachel as well.

I didn't make the decision before this post, but now I do.

Speaking of Rachel, it reminds me the American TV show "Friends"

Spring
Quote: Originally Posted by Machjo

How about Qi, or Tsi?

I think Qi or Tsi is not an English name.

gangstalking
Quote: Originally Posted by Spring

I have heard it said that changing your name, will change your destiny, so please choose wisely. Your picture is very nice, you look like an ivy or a Racheal, but spring can also work.

It's really whatever you prefer.

Spring
Quote: Originally Posted by Andem

I like Spring If it's a translation of your name, then go with it.. Although since your nickname is already Spring here, I think you've probably already made up your mind.

Thanks.

Spring

Quote: Originally Posted by Spring

I have heard it said that changing your name, will change your destiny, so please choose wisely. Your picture is very nice, you look like an ivy or a Racheal, but spring can also work.

It's really whatever you prefer.

I like your advice.

And Ivy is my second preferred I think.