U.S. Airport Security is pitiful

thomaska

Council Member
May 24, 2006
Great Satan
So, I was in Denver International airport in this uniform:

Sorry if the pic is too small

I’m there to pick up Marines returning from some training exercise. I’m in the airport for 12 hours that day because the flights are spread out from 0600 – 2130. So I figure I’ll go to the USO because it is too expensive to just hang out in a lounge or sportsbar in the airport all day long.

So, I get a gate pass from an airlines, I had to do that because the geniuses at DIA put the USO inside a terminal and not out in the public areas where everyone can get to it. I get to TSA security checkpoint and they want me to take my shoes off. I refuse because if anyone is NOT a terrorist it’s me. And besides it is a major pain in the ass to get the damn things off and back on again. For this I was treated to an 8 minute wait in a glass booth where everyone in the airport gawked at me, then I was wanded , prodded, and patted by some sycophant who blathered on and on about his days on the force…never said which force and I didn’t ask.

As all this was going on I glanced over at their new fangled sniffer machine which is supposed to detect explosives and noticed everyone in the line, about 30 people, were all white. I know we are not supposed to profile but give me a break. Most of the bombings around the world have not been carried out by AARP platinum card members. I could go on and on about this but it all really comes down to this: Airport security sucks, and no one cares.

By the way, I had a cigarette lighter on me the whole time and Inspector Clouseau never found it. Pitiful.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Thomaska

I have a theory that putting a person in airport security somehow drops their IQ by twenty five points. You occasionally see the same symptoms at the passport office, and the Motor Vehicle Branch. These symptoms are amplified if you are in a hurry. :roll: :lol:

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
With today's announcement in the UK, I am sure things will heat up for a bit. There are already signs at LAX about increased security checks and no liquids allowed on the planes.

thomaska

Council Member
May 24, 2006
Great Satan
#juan said:
Thomaska

I have a theory that putting a person in airport security somehow drops their IQ by twenty five points. You occasionally see the same symptoms at the passport office, and the Motor Vehicle Branch. These symptoms are amplified if you are in a hurry. :roll: :lol:

Don't get me wrong I don't expect a free pass to just blaze through security, but everytime I have been in uniform in an airport, I have been treated to the "extra security measures". I can't figure out what TSA's problem is. Maybe they think if everyone sees a service member getting searched, they won't bitch as much when they get searched themselves. I don't know though I think they just don't like us sometimes.

The motor vehicle malady is universal I see.. :lol:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I haven't had a military uniform on since the early sixties, and that was in a different world. We always got a break in the olden days. In today's world, I don't know what the answer is.

sanch

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2005
It sounds like they reacted to you not taking your shoes off and not the uniform. It is probably in their directives.

I always do what I am told even if it is inconvenient for me. I realize that the more trouble I cause them the less time they have to focus on their jobs which is to catch terrorists.

There will always be some security holes and mistakes made but much of this is random and so not known to terrorists. I think Airport Security has done a great job since 9/11.

Riyko

Electoral Member
Apr 29, 2006
Oakville, Ontario
You're complaining about the security that travelers have to go through. It's nothing compaired to what the airline employees have to go through. Speaking about how bad airline security is in 2005 I had my pocket knife in my carry on bag and TSC didn't even take it away from me they took it out and put it back in my bag.

Hotshot

Electoral Member
May 31, 2006
thomaska said:
. I get to TSA security checkpoint and they want me to take my shoes off. I refuse because if anyone is NOT a terrorist it’s me.

By the way, I had a cigarette lighter on me the whole time and Inspector Clouseau never found it. Pitiful.

You sound like the typical arrogant yankee. If the rules are for you to take your shoes off, take your freaking shoes off. Don't be so arrogant.

As far as your clouseau comment goes, well that is your typical yankee boob. Sounds like it could be bushski's brother!

feronia

Time Out
Jul 19, 2006
I'm sorry but on the point that "if you're asked to remove your shoes you do it" I have to agree. Those people are on high alert and they are doing their very best in a bad situation. You’re lucky they didn't detain you a lot longer.