Is Anybody going to the Abbotsford Airshow?

#juan
I've only missed two Abbotsford Airshows

since it started in 1962, and that was because I was transfered to Winnipeg for two years in the seventies. My son and I have been going since the late seventies. Abbotsford is one of the biggest airshows in the world and it attracts people from all over North America. It is estimated that over 300,000 will see this year's airshow over the three days We go to other airshows like Payne Field in Washington or the Reno Airshow, but Abbotsford is the show we wouldn't miss.

I've been an airplane nut since I was a kid. I flew with the RCAF in the late fifties and early sixties and haven't yet lost my love of airplanes....any airplanes.

The following link will give you times and pricing and a list of aircraft and performers. No doubt we'll see Canada's proposed new heavy lift aircraft, the C-17, do a bit of flying.

We are going on the Saturday so I won't be here from early Friday to sometime Sunday.

airshow link (external - login to view)

Kreskin
I don't live on the mainland anymore but until about 10 years ago went to nearly every one since about 1970. One of my favorites things to do. I will make a special trip one of the years.

DurkaDurka
Quote: Originally Posted by #juan

I've only missed two Abbotsford Airshows

since it started in 1962, and that was because I was transfered to Winnipeg for two years in the seventies. My son and I have been going since the late seventies. Abbotsford is one of the biggest airshows in the world and it attracts people from all over North America. It is estimated that over 300,000 will see this year's airshow over the three days We go to other airshows like Payne Field in Washington or the Reno Airshow, but Abbotsford is the show we wouldn't miss.

I've been an airplane nut since I was a kid. I flew with the RCAF in the late fifties and early sixties and haven't yet lost my love of airplanes....any airplanes.

The following link will give you times and pricing and a list of aircraft and performers. No doubt we'll see Canada's proposed new heavy lift aircraft, the C-17, do a bit of flying.

We are going on the Saturday so I won't be here from early Friday to sometime Sunday.

airshow link (external - login to view)

Were you a pilot Juan?

#juan
Hi Kreskin

We generally go over the day before and stay with our son and his wife. My son and I drive out to Abbotsford in the morning. After the show we spend one more night with the kids and drive back on Sunday. One time we caught the earliest ferry and drove right out to Abbotsford and after the show we drove back to Horseshoe Bay and caught a ferry back to the island. That took about sixteen hours. We promised ourselves we wouldn't do that again, what a long day

PS. Going for three days also give us a chance to help spoil our newest granddaughter.

#juan
DurkaDurka

Yes, from 1957 to 1961. A long time ago.

#juan
There have been several accidents

over the years at Abbotsford but there has only been one fatality. About twenty five years ago, a young pilot from Snowhomish Washington ran out of altitude on the back side of a loop and crashed into the runway. I'll try to find his name.

#juan
I'm off to catch the ferry

We are going to the airshow on Saturday. I'll post the best pictures when I get back.

Have a great weekend.