"Unbiased" CBC Coverage

Caleb-Dain Matton

Electoral Member
Jun 14, 2006
Sarnia, Ontario
www.commondreams.org
Has anyone else notice lately CTV News Net moving to the right?

Canada is traditionally a Liberal (Left-Wing, not necessarily the Party) country. Perhaps one of the most Liberal in the world. Fusing right-wing policies in this country is like pouring oil on gasoline -- they won't properly mix.

The last bit of the clip was PURE window dressing. If the concerns of the people are sooo desirable by the Cons, then why aren't they listening to the majority of Canadians who demand that Harper re-direct his stance against Israel?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Caleb-Dain Matton said:

Canada is traditionally a Liberal (Left-Wing, not necessarily the Party) country. Perhaps one of the most Liberal in the world. Fusing right-wing policies in this country is like pouring oil on gasoline -- they won't properly mix.

The last bit of the clip was PURE window dressing. If the concerns of the people are sooo desirable by the Cons, then why aren't they listening to the majority of Canadians who demand that Harper re-direct his stance against Israel?

You told us you are a student.

I would advise you to study a little Canadian history.

Canada has been a very conservative country, up until the last 20 or 30 years.

Caleb-Dain Matton

Electoral Member
Jun 14, 2006
Sarnia, Ontario
www.commondreams.org
Colpy said:
Caleb-Dain Matton said:

You told us you are a student.

I would advise you to study a little Canadian history.

Canada has been a very conservative country, up until the last 20 or 30 years.

MacDonald's and Diefenbaker's Conservatism was not like Mulroney's and Harper's. Traditionally, Canada has always been a liberal (in the idea, not the Liberal Party), country in the sense.

I'm a history major -- do you really want to argue that Canada is not traditionally liberal in its ideas?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Okay, maybe you understand what Adam Smith liberalism is, and we are agreeing. Unfortunately, "liberal" has become a word that has 16 different meanings, and classic small "L" liberals are now conservatives......if you get my drift

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
This is a non-topic

Stephen Harper obviously doesn't want to upset his little love-in with Bush and his cronies. The billion dollar give away Harper is trying might not work as smoothly as he planned. What next?

neone

Jul 15, 2006
Vancouver
I'm a bit surprised by some of your reactions. I'm completely disgusted by the way they set that clip up. I hope we hold our media - especially the CBC to a higher standard than something like Fox News.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
The old argument against the CBC is it's controlled by the government. Harper doesn't seem to be controlling it too well if this is clip is a concern. This should then put to rest the government controlled propoganda tool conspiracy theory.

neone

Jul 15, 2006
Vancouver
What about the theory that the CBC has a liberal bias? Perhaps they're stuck in that mode and haven't switched over yet.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Call it a liberal bias if you want but they have never missed an opportunity to roast whoever is in government. Perhaps it is liberal to do that.

LittleRunningGag

Electoral Member
Jan 11, 2006
Calgary, Alberta
members.shaw.ca
Caleb-Dain Matton said:
Canada is traditionally a Liberal (Left-Wing, not necessarily the Party) country. Perhaps one of the most Liberal in the world.

If you are going to be a history major, you may want to take a glance into a poli-sci class. Just a glance. Maybe an intro class.

Canada is definately one of the most liberal (read: free) countries in the world. Very few can claim the level of freedoms we have. We are not, however, one of the farthest left countries. Canada would have a difficult time competing against most European states.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
It's no matter the CBC played around with footage to get an entirely different message across, as long as leftists can dismiss it on an emotional basis. If it were Fox News you would be tripping over each other posting I told you so's. :roll:

Kreskin said:
The old argument against the CBC is it's controlled by the government. Harper doesn't seem to be controlling it too well if this is clip is a concern. This should then put to rest the government controlled propoganda tool conspiracy theory.

It also puts to rest the CBC's "higher standard"

cortex

Electoral Member
Aug 3, 2006
hopelessly entagled
The fact is that christina lawand , like cortex and
millions of others who live in Canada KNOW that the likes of steven harper couldnt care less about arab-canadians.

Translation of Steves second clip----BLAH BLAH---we back state terrorism not the small fry----BLAH BLAH --we understand that our stated pro-isreali position will improve our image with the US state terrorists -----BLAH BLAH---obviously we consider the Jewish community more worthy than the Arab community and although there may be more of the latter in Canada than the former --the former is generally weathier, more influential and powerfull than the the latter---BLAH BLAH BLAH---so we also betting on the fact that generally members of my ethic group--ie anglosaxons have a deeply rooted pervasive and intractable prejudice against arabs and other communities such as native canadians and Hispanics and that ultimately these will be more important than the arab community in terms of
future elections---BLAH BLAH BLAH--although the results in quebec are an obstacle we fell that if we can rev up our anti-arab cultural propaganda machine we can sway other of non anglaosaxon descent to become anti arab bigots as well--BLAH BLAH BLAH--Its war time all the time--BLAH BLAH BLAH

cortex

Electoral Member
Aug 3, 2006
hopelessly entagled
I cant resist a double post

What Cortex would say if he were primeminister

The Canadian government recognises the right of both Israel and Palestine to exist and to defend themselves; however we cannot condone the use of Hezbollah sponsored nor state sponsored terrorism either directly by Israel or by proxy by Iran,Syria and the United States. We call for an immediate cease fire in line with international law as the vast majority of nation states in the world have done including our European allies. Although we understand the frustration that Israelis must feel at the intractiblity of terrorism waged against them, we also understand the even greater frustration of the Palestinian people. If the use of violence were effective in resolving this complex issue in which both parties have played the role of victim and victimizer, the issue would have been resolved by now. We recognise that the Lebanese people are at the moment the most desperately in need of emergency humanitarian relief and we will do every thing we can to aid them at the diplomatic level and materially. We are also very concerned that any escalation of this crisis may explode into a vast regional war that would be a humanitarian catastrophy for the people of the middle east, including Israel, the world and ultimately this country as well. We must therefore call for an immediate and unconditional cease fire . Our call for a cease fire is a principled stance in accordance with international law. Our call for a cease fire WILL therefore remain regardless of whether the 2 parties heed that call or not. Any noncompliance with this call on the part of Hezbollah will not alter our position. Any noncompliance with this call by Israel will not alter our position. Any compliance on the part of Hezbollah and noncompliance by Israel will not alter our position. Any compliance on the part of Israel and noncompliance by Hezbollah will not alter our position. Our country is not a great player in the middle east however we can cast our vote--as most countries have --for a non violent lasting solution that addresses the root concerns of both parties however long and difficult that process may be.

fuzzylogix

Council Member
Apr 7, 2006
Excellent speech, Cortex! If only we could nominate you as prime minister instead of.....

I am not sure why ITN, you think that this video is proof of media bias. For a start, ALL news media is biased and every news item is clipped to present an often distorted view. That is why one must follow many different media sources to gain a truer perception of events. HOWEVER, if one really analyzes this video, one will see that clearly Christina got the gist of the message succinctly presented.

1. It is ridiculous for a politician to pretend that they do not consider polls. Each party spends a fortune on polling because it is so important to them. Granted they very rarely CHANGE their policies according to polls, but they do consider them carefully in order to spin doctor their speeches accordingly. As was clearly and carefully done in this speech to suck you in, ITN.

2. Harper's speech is worded to suggest that he is not swayed by any particular group. But then he clearly designates which group he is supporting and is supported by. He very neatly avoids any denial that he has support from Jewish organizations. He clearly tells us that he is fighting terrorism, and then tells us who the terrorists are- why, of course they are Arabs like we arrested in Toronto. Could he be any clearer? I agree, Christina should have presented the entire video so we could hear him so clearly declare his bias!!!!!

3. Harper tells us he is working for the benefit of Canadian strategic alliances. Which alliances are these??? He has clearly told us before that he is coordinating with US policy, which of course is pro Israel. So I guess we assume that this means he is pro Isael. How is it in the strategic interest of Canada to allow other human beings, no matter who they are to destroy each other. How is it in the strategic interest of Canada to wait a while before calling for immediate ceasefire???????

Let Harper come up with a speech like Cortex has written, and then I will criticize any reporter who clips it.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
First you flip……

fuzzylogix said:
I am not sure why ITN, you think that this video is proof of media bias.

Then you flop....

fuzzylogix said:
For a start, ALL news media is biased and every news item is clipped to present an often distorted view.

And you find this acceptable? If it were Fox News would you be writing a 3 paragraph post or just stating…”big surprise”?

fuzzylogix said:
That is why one must follow many different media sources to gain a truer perception of events. HOWEVER, if one really analyzes this video, one will see that clearly Christina got the gist of the message succinctly presented.

There is nothing to analyze, the video shows protestors (Arabs) and then queues Harper saying he doesn’t give a dam what they think. Can’t get any simpler than that.

fuzzylogix said:
1. It is ridiculous for a politician to pretend that they do not consider polls. Each party spends a fortune on polling because it is so important to them. Granted they very rarely CHANGE their policies according to polls, but they do consider them carefully in order to spin doctor their speeches accordingly. As was clearly and carefully done in this speech to suck you in, ITN.

2. Harper's speech is worded to suggest that he is not swayed by any particular group. But then he clearly designates which group he is supporting and is supported by. He very neatly avoids any denial that he has support from Jewish organizations. He clearly tells us that he is fighting terrorism, and then tells us who the terrorists are- why, of course they are Arabs like we arrested in Toronto. Could he be any clearer? I agree, Christina should have presented the entire video so we could hear him so clearly declare his bias!!!!!

3. Harper tells us he is working for the benefit of Canadian strategic alliances. Which alliances are these??? He has clearly told us before that he is coordinating with US policy, which of course is pro Israel. So I guess we assume that this means he is pro Isael. How is it in the strategic interest of Canada to allow other human beings, no matter who they are to destroy each other. How is it in the strategic interest of Canada to wait a while before calling for immediate ceasefire???????

It’s so clear that you had to write three paragraphs of text to “explain” it to everybody else?

The overall point is that the CBC (or so many on the left like to say) has a “higher standard” of reporting, being that it sucks $1 billion of your taxes. The CBC is a publicly funded entity, it allegedly serves the people with what should be unbiased reporting. Which segment of the population was it “representing” here? If they are going to show news with a slant, then does it represent all Canadians?

Instead of making excuses, you should be appalled.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Kreskin wrote:

Right Kreskin, during the liberal demise under Paul Martin, nobody was harder on the government than the CBC. If there is something screwy going on, the CBC should report it, and they do. Harper has adapted the American stance on the M.E. He will break his leg before he changes that. None of our news media has really hit Harper for the softwood lumber give away yet, but I hope they get to it soon.

fuzzylogix

Council Member
Apr 7, 2006
I am appalled by ALL news reporting. The news today is done with microchip clips because the attention span of society is registered in seconds now.

I obviously had to spend three paragraphs to explain it to YOU. You still dont seem to get that the clip succinctly presents a summary of Harper's speech. It is not misquoting Harper.

It is interesting that as an American you are so incensed by our news station- Why? Because it is apparently not reporting with a slant akin to your own views???? Who pays for the station is meaningless. A private news station is partly supported by public funds by virtue of tax benefits.

All news stations are biased. They choose the stories that they wish to emphasize and they choose the way in which they do it. The question is whether a news station is lying or changing events. I dont think the clip changes the intent of the speech. The station may have a bias in presenting leftist views, but on this occasion, I dont think that they misquoted Harper's ideas.