"Unbiased" CBC Coverage

athabaska
I'd dead set against any government rewarding any journalist or reporter with a senate seat or other position. I saw an interview Peter Mansbridge had with PM Chretien a couple years back and it was disgusting. Peter did everythng but kiss the PM's ***. unfortunately for Peter, the Libs got the boot and there went his senate seat.

para-dice
With other media outlets being biased, I can't blame the CBC for following the market.

It's silly to expect an public institution in a competitive marketplace to be better than the rest all of the time.

But yea, the example above was TOO MUCH.

Finder
Colpy, Just because a news story doesn't slant towards the government, doesn't mean it's controled by another political party. The CBC if you ask me is biased to the centre, in which all three parties dance around now and then. However Mr Harper's dessions has an effect on Canadians and when the magority of Canadians do not support it, well the media will slant that way usually.

I remember the last 15 years of CBC news coverage being just has bad on the Liberals. It's just Conservatives I guess are used to whinning and crying just like the conservatives in down south. Hell if you listen to their propaganda down there you'd think they wern't even in charge. I guess we will get the same stupity from the Conservative idealogs here too. You don't like the CBC, stop watching it.

#juan
Quote: Originally Posted by athabaska

I'd dead set against any government rewarding any journalist or reporter with a senate seat or other position. I saw an interview Peter Mansbridge had with PM Chretien a couple years back and it was disgusting. Peter did everythng but kiss the PM's ***. unfortunately for Peter, the Libs got the boot and there went his senate seat.

That is just nonsense. Why in hell would Mansbridge want a senate seat. Mansbridge could go to to any network in Canada or the U.S. and name his price and they would all fight over him. He wouldn't take a senate seat if it were offered.

athabaska
"You don't like the CBC, stop watching it. "

I'd rather stop paying for it at the same time. Fortunately, like or not like the CBC, it is less relevent than ever and news ratings are in the dumps.

DurkaDurka
The CBC does one thing well.... hockey. Although some people would they are "biased" in their coverage of the Leafs

athabaska
Quote: Originally Posted by DurkaDurka

The CBC does one thing well.... hockey. Although some people would they are "biased" in their coverage of the Leafs

'some people'? The only reason I didn't want the Leafs to make the playoffs last year is it would be all we'd hear about. Nothing against the team or the dedicated Leaf fans but the combination of CBC as a Toronto institution and the Maple Leafs in the playoffs is just too much for us colonials out here to endure. I live in Alberta yet heard a hundred times more on CBC about the Leafs late season playoff drive than that of the Oilers.

Said1

Hold on just a second. Sentor Munson was the former director of communications for Chretien, but, before he was given that cushy posts, he was journalist and big wig at CTV, beureu cheif in China and covered other things such as the Iran-Iraq war.

It's also worth mentioning that Munson and Chretien were were good buddies and played basketball with other Ottawa news people and journalists and such as Randle Moore, and another guy, who's name escapes me (obviously NOT the Puffster). One time, Chretien even dropped in and had a beer at the Tavern down the street. Sadlly, this was on a Sunday, so I wasn't there, cause I was in church.

Looks like Munson had everyone else beat, *** kissing and all.

Munson is a pretty nice guy actually, although he drinks an awful lot. If it wasn't for him, my favorite watering hole wouldn't be open. He's part owner, now.

DurkaDurka

'some people'? The only reason I didn't want the Leafs to make the playoffs last year is it would be all we'd hear about. Nothing against the team or the dedicated Leaf fans but the combination of CBC as a Toronto institution and the Maple Leafs in the playoffs is just too much for us colonials out here to endure. I live in Alberta yet heard a hundred times more on CBC about the Leafs late season playoff drive than that of the Oilers.

I agree, the CBC does spend a little too much time covering the Leafs. Better the Leafs then the Senators though!

Toro

"You don't like the CBC, stop watching it. "

Apparently a lot of people have taken this advice.

Toro

Agreed and agreed.

Finder
Quote: Originally Posted by Caleb-Dain Matton

Has anyone else notice lately CTV News Net moving to the right?

Canada is traditionally a Liberal (Left-Wing, not necessarily the Party) country. Perhaps one of the most Liberal in the world. Fusing right-wing policies in this country is like pouring oil on gasoline -- they won't properly mix.

The last bit of the clip was PURE window dressing. If the concerns of the people are sooo desirable by the Cons, then why aren't they listening to the majority of Canadians who demand that Harper re-direct his stance against Israel?

Since I worked ay CTV for almost two years I can say getting your news from them is the centre-right lazy mans way of getting the news. They basically cut and paste other ppls news and do there own spin on it, thats it. CNN, CBC, BBC even, dare I say Fox news are all better sources then CTV.

I think not
www.stephentaylor.ca/archives/000653.html (external - login to view)

Well it seems the CBC "got it" enough to apologize after people calling regarding this report earlier this month.

Kudos to CBC for ackowledging their "mistake"

Comments?

Colpy
In reading a book of essays by Malcolm Muggeridge, I learned that George Orwell told him the "Ministry of Truth" in his book 1984 was based on the BBC, where Orwell had worked. (As had Muggeridge)

The CBC was of course based on the BBC.

And I've been calling the CBC "the Ministry of Truth" for years.

Gotta love it.

missile
It seems the CBC will be losing the NHL coverage soon, as other networks are offering a far greater amount for the rights. As to why the CBC covers more of the Leafs,it's cost effective to drive a crew across town rather than to another city. For the record, the only Canadian news source I watch is CTV Newsnet.

no new posts