A year abroad

lo2
Firstly I must say that I do not know wheter this is the right category to put this thread under, in case it is not then feel free to move to wherever it should be.

Well I have been considering a year abroad in some English (a place where the natives speak English) country so far I have not had any luck finding anything but there is about a year until I leave school so I have still got some time. At that I will have turned 19 and graduated from High School. I am from a country called Denmark which many of you probaly do not know, but it is a small country in Europe just north to Germany. I do think that my English is OK, but it can most certainly improve, that is one of the reason for me to go. So have you got any proposals or anything?

Help/advice will be most appreciated!

Thanks.

glossprincess
Everybody always goes to either England or Australia for a gap year. Since the English weather is crap, I suggest Australia!!! I'll have a welcome party set up for you

Plus, everybody loves the Danish here cos of Princess Mary......all the women wanna be her just so they can get their hands on Frederick

lo2
Quote: Originally Posted by glossprincess

Everybody always goes to either England or Australia for a gap year. Since the English weather is crap, I suggest Australia!!! I'll have a welcome party set up for you

Plus, everybody loves the Danish here cos of Princess Mary......all the women wanna be her just so they can get their hands on Frederick

Well you could go to Canada or USA could you not?

I have thought that much about Australia mainly due to the price.
Remember I am from Denmark! There is a long way down there.

glossprincess
Yeah, flights are expensive. But things are cheaper here than in the US or Canada as far as I know.

But if you joined CC.net, then clearly you're interested in Canada! So go there!!

lo2
Quote: Originally Posted by glossprincess

Yeah, flights are expensive. But things are cheaper here than in the US or Canada as far as I know.

But if you joined CC.net, then clearly you're interested in Canada! So go there!!

Well OK.

As matter of fact not really cannot give any good reason why I joined.

Nuggler
Hi Lo2;

We would look forward to having you in Canada for a year. You would probably find the weather to your liking, warm in summer (some would say hot), definately cool in winter.

Your English is excellent and you would have no problem communicating. We could use more people like you.

Just one thing:

If you come to Canada, you might not want to ASSUME that people DON'T KNOW things......such as where Denmark is. Most of us know. Not that we care particularly, but we know. "Some" Canuks would take that attitude to be condescending, and you will not do well with it here.

Other than that, come on over, enjoy, bust a nut, break a leg all figures of speech.)

lo2
Quote: Originally Posted by oldnugly

Hi Lo2;

We would look forward to having you in Canada for a year. You would probably find the weather to your liking, warm in summer (some would say hot), definately cool in winter.

Your English is excellent and you would have no problem communicating. We could use more people like you.

Just one thing:

If you come to Canada, you might not want to ASSUME that people DON'T KNOW things......such as where Denmark is. Most of us know. Not that we care particularly, but we know. "Some" Canuks would take that attitude to be condescending, and you will not do well with it here.

Other than that, come on over, enjoy, bust a nut, break a leg all figures of speech.)

Sounds nice! But have you got anything concrete that I could spend a year on in Canada, if you understand.

I am sorry about jugding Canadians as people who do not know much about Europe. I do apoligise.

glossprincess
Thats a good point that Oldnugly made!

Its the same here with a some people but most people are pretty laidback and dont get offended by stuff like that! Plus we LOVE foreigners! As long as you're interested in learning aboout our culture and try to fit in and adapt to the way we do things......then everybody will love you! I work in a youth hostel and get to meet sooo many cool foreigners every day! I love it! And most Aussies are like that too.

Is this gonna be a tug-of-war......pulling lo2 back and forth between Canada and Australia?!?!

In terms of weather, Canada might be the better option just cos you have two different extremes which is nice. But if you're looking for sun, come to Aus!! Its winter now and we've averaged about 15 or 16 degrees! Bloody freezing in my opinion lol!

In terms of what you could do on your year abroad.....I dunno about Canada but in Australia, it used to be the law that people on working holiday visas could only work in any once place for 3 months at a time. But now its been changed to 6 months. So you could work for 6 months in Sydney....then maybe 3 months in Brisbane then maybe travel for 3 months around the country. Thats what a lot of people end up doing.

Whatever you choose though, I'm sure that you'll have an awesome time and I for one wanna hear all about it!

Finder
Quote: Originally Posted by lo2

Firstly I must say that I do not know wheter this is the right category to put this thread under, in case it is not then feel free to move to wherever it should be.

Well I have been considering a year abroad in some English (a place where the natives speak English) country so far I have not had any luck finding anything but there is about a year until I leave school so I have still got some time. At that I will have turned 19 and graduated from High School. I am from a country called Denmark which many of you probaly do not know, but it is a small country in Europe just north to Germany. I do think that my English is OK, but it can most certainly improve, that is one of the reason for me to go. So have you got any proposals or anything?

Help/advice will be most appreciated!

Thanks.

Yup I know Denmark....

You should contact the Canadian Embassy in Denmark they will be able to give you better detales, but I know a few people who are working and studing here. It should be easy to get a Visa.

lo2
But I would rather like to live with a family and then go to some kind of school where I learn English.

glossprincess
Hmm, I'll have a look around and see what kind of exchange programs I can find....

lo2
Thanks for that!

lo2
I have got some new information concerning my year. That is that you can take one year on High School for free as long as you have somewhere to live. Can anyone please certify that piece of information?

Andem
Well lo2, I would definately suggest going to Canada for a while to visit and possibly study. I can honestly say that I've met very few Danes who do not speak English better than myself. English is my native tongue.

With that said, your English seems well enough to live, work and play in the language with little to no problems at all.

Don't underestimate the people of this forum or Canadians in general. Most people from Canada would know where Denmark is and well, people like myself can even say a few words or a sentence or two in Danish

Anyways, if you want to come to the country, I would suggest visiting Montreal (they speak French and English), Toronto, Halifax or Vancouver.. Victoria is something I've definately heard good things about but I've never been there.

(Just have to add: I love Denmark and really should plan my third visit soon )

mimiki
i spent a year in Shanghai, its really good & interesting plus everything is cheaper!

lo2
Quote: Originally Posted by Andem

Well lo2, I would definately suggest going to Canada for a while to visit and possibly study. I can honestly say that I've met very few Danes who do not speak English better than myself. English is my native tongue.

With that said, your English seems well enough to live, work and play in the language with little to no problems at all.

Don't underestimate the people of this forum or Canadians in general. Most people from Canada would know where Denmark is and well, people like myself can even say a few words or a sentence or two in Danish

Anyways, if you want to come to the country, I would suggest visiting Montreal (they speak French and English), Toronto, Halifax or Vancouver.. Victoria is something I've definately heard good things about but I've never been there.

(Just have to add: I love Denmark and really should plan my third visit soon )

OK thanks for the advice.

But have you got something which I can spend a year on in Canada. I would like to stay with a native family and go to some kind of school.

fuflans
We had an exchange student from Australia live with us for three months several years ago. He lived with three different families for three months each, but went to the same school for the entire period of time. He also went on holiday with one of the families and I think he went on a cross country bus tour with other exchange students. He did this through the Rotary program.

www.rotary.org/programs/youth_ex/index.html (external - login to view)

Simpleton
What a relief! I had been passing over this thread, fearing that it was some dude telling of how he had spent a year as a broad. After finally getting the nerve to open the thread, I'm relieved to discover that it's not about some transexual cross-dresser. Not that there's anything wrong with being a transexual cross-dresser.

lo2
I have been visiting this company's site, where USA was the cheapest place to spend a high school year.

Simpleton

I have been visiting this company's site, where USA was the cheapest place to spend a high school year.

Which company?

Riyko

Are you sure you'd want to come to the US? Although you'd be treated alot better in the US then alot of US citizens. If you come to the US choose a place that doesn't have too many people or not alot of people. A place with alot of violence is somewhere else you wouldn't want to go.

lo2
Quote: Originally Posted by Riyko

Are you sure you'd want to come to the US? Although you'd be treated alot better in the US then alot of US citizens. If you come to the US choose a place that doesn't have too many people or not alot of people. A place with alot of violence is somewhere else you wouldn't want to go.

Are you trying to frighten me or something? Or what is your point?

lo2
Quote: Originally Posted by Simpleton

Which company?

Some German company.

But in case any of you know any nice exchange companies I would be more than happy to know.

lo2
Can you not go to High School if you are 19 years old?

Andem
lo2... I'd suggest you ask your school. They would probably be the most direct way to go with the least amount of hassle.