Do you support Inter-marriage??

View Poll Results: Would you be supportive of Inter-marriage??
Yes 34 79.07%
No 9 20.93%
Possibly 0 0%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Jersay
Now for people who are not married, and people who are married but may have a son, daughter, a cousin a relative, a brother or sister who isn't married. Would you be supportive or acceptive if a family member or relative married someone who is of a different religion, race, ethnicity, nationality, language??

Kodiak
I would be supportative. My son dated a colored girl for three years and I never thought anything about it. But I can say that it was difficult in public especailly if they showed any affection. There was more that one person that had a hard time handling their differences.

LittleRunningGag
I would as well. Although, I have anecdotal evidence that two people with strong, and differing, religious beliefs can fall apart when issues involving children come about.

tamarin
It's fine as long as they're not doing it just to flip you the bird. Marriage is tough enough without having any other flies splashed in the ointment. If the relationship sours they can cry to somebody else: oh, boohoo, poor little me!
In the end, most folks 'in love' will do and can do what they want. As long as it ain't on my dime.

Simpleton
Quote: Originally Posted by Kodiak

I would be supportative. My son dated a colored girl for three years and I never thought anything about it. But I can say that it was difficult in public especailly if they showed any affection. There was more that one person that had a hard time handling their differences.

You say that you never thought anything about it, but then you continue to state that it was difficult in public, if they showed any affection toward ech other. Was this difficulty on your part? Perhaps evidence of a deep-rooted prejudice?

GuyIncognito
I fully support inter-marriage of people but what I will not stand for is people dating Robots, or marrying Robots.... The thought Sickens me.
You got Metal Fever, boy! Metal Fever!

athabaska
The question is too broad. What is a different religion? A methodist marrying a Lutherin is not quite as dramatic as a fundamentalist Black Muslim from Sudan wanting to marry a white Mormon from Alberta.

I wouldn't want my daughter marrying into a religion that treated her as property and made her a virtual slave to inlaws. Or a religion and society that practiced polygamy and she was 40 years younger than her husband and labeled wife number 4. Or a society or religion that insisted all women have a clitorectomy (sp?).

It's always easy to say 'I'm so acceptable and open to everyone. The Brotherhood of Man and we are all creatures of the Earth, blah...blah. '

Quite another when it's the real world and the rubber hits the road and your potential grand daughters are married off at 5 years of age to someone they have never seen.

tamarin
They didn't invent the phrase 'young and foolish' for nothing.

Vereya
Every person has a right to do as he pleases with his life. And I strongly believe that everyone should mind his own business, and not try to live other people's lives for them. So I will be acceptive.

Jersay
Religion includes the different divides in each religion. Like a Catholic and a Sunni. Or a Protestant and and Cathloic etc, etc.

Jersay
Quote: Originally Posted by LittleRunningGag

I would as well. Although, I have anecdotal evidence that two people with strong, and differing, religious beliefs can fall apart when issues involving children come about.

I agree to that fact. I could agree in a very religious household it might fall apart from religion and what religion children chooses.

Jersay

Yeah i have seen that too with people who might look at a couple if they might be black and white or different and why they are hanging out together or having affectioniate feelings towards each other.

Jersay
Quote: Originally Posted by GuyIncognito

I fully support inter-marriage of people but what I will not stand for is people dating Robots, or marrying Robots.... The thought Sickens me.

Jersay
So too athabaska that means no. Thank you for going around the long way.

missile
As long as the couple is aware of everything about the other's faith,etc. and enter willingly into a marriage..it doesn't matter as long no one is forced into it.

Finder
Sure why not.

Simpleton

If you ever spend any time in Sarnia, robots will become very appealing to you. That's a commentary on the people in Sarnia... Robots make better company.

LittleRunningGag

Awesome Futurama reference.

athabaska
Quote: Originally Posted by Jersay

So too athabaska that means no. Thank you for going around the long way.

No. It means that life isn't simplistic and there is more to the human condition than your own experience. A kneejerk 'yes' may be politically correct but there is a real world that can't always be divided into 'yes and no' or 'I'm an enlightened individual and you're not'.

The overwhelming majority of people in the world are not comfortable with everybody marrying anybody. Not because they are ignorant or not but because they understand that there are real consequences. Do they want their daughter beaten and ostracized? Grandchildren shuuned and disowned? Children not able to rise above a station in life? If your daughter is a Muslim and she marries a Jew, do you think she will be welcomed by her grandparents when she visits the small village in Bangladesh?

The irony of your comments is that you claim to be 'open' but your perspective is from a narrow slit devoid of other experiences. You 'assume' a liberal western culture in which everyone is 'just like us'. There was a famous book called 'Black like me' and one of the themes was that white liberals are open as long as being open means that everyone can be just like them.

I don't think you are a willing bigot but ignorance is apparent.

hint: 95% of the world's population doesn't live in ignorance while western white liberals bask in enlightenment.

Kodiak
You say that you never thought anything about it, but then you continue to state that it was difficult in public, if they showed any affection toward ech other. Was this difficulty on your part? Perhaps evidence of a deep-rooted prejudice?

You misunderstood me, I didn't have the problem it was those around us, mostly those of the older generation. My son made his choice and I accepted it, who ever he chose to be his partner. I had the experience of an unexcepting mother-in-law and swore that my boys partners would never have to go through the same thing I accept people as they are. That is not to say that I like every one I meet but, I accept differences.

Sorry I am not computer literate enough to show that the first paragraph is from Simpleton.

Mogz
This is still an issue in the 21st Century? Where does society get off trying to tell two people that they cannot be together, especially based on something as trivial as skin colour, religion, or sexual persuasion?

Kodiak
You are right it should not be an issue. But some people still believe that skin colour, religion and sexual persuasion are an issue. Look at the thread regarding when life begins, quite a diversity don't you think. Would any of us of agree on one point and compromise our belief?

Simpleton

You misunderstood me, I didn't have the problem it was those around us, mostly those of the older generation. My son made his choice and I accepted it, who ever he chose to be his partner. I had the experience of an unexcepting mother-in-law and swore that my boys partners would never have to go through the same thing I accept people as they are. That is not to say that I like every one I meet but, I accept differences.

Sorry I am not computer literate enough to show that the first paragraph is from Simpleton.

The easiest way to quote a post by another member, is to press the big yellow "Quote" button in the upper-right corner of the post you are responding to.

For example:

If I wanted to respond to a message that you entered, like I'm doing presently, I could press the big yellow "Quote" button in the upper-right corner of your post. This button opens a reply area with the quoted text already entered and properly attributed. You can just edit out the parts that you don't want included in the quote.

Another way to quote another members post is to copy the desired text and paste it into your response. You would have to precede the quoted text with
Code:
[quote]
and follow the quote with this
Code:
[/quote]
For example:

If you had entered a message that said, "I do not know how to quote people." And I wanted to quote that line in my response, I would enter the following:

Code:
[quote]I do not know how to quote people.[/quote]
And when I submitted my response by pressing the submit button, the following would be displayed:

Quote:

I do not know how to quote people.

If I wanted to attribute the quote to a particular person, kodiak, for example, then I would add the following:

Code:
[quote="Kodiak"]I do not know how to quote people.[/quote]
And this would display the following:

I do not know how to quote people.

I hope this helps.

And you're right, I did misunderstand your post.

Kodiak
Thank you for the information and help. Everyday that you learn something new is a good day.

Simpleton

Thank you for the information and help. Everyday that you learn something new is a good day.

Tell me about it. Now, if I could just learn something that will restore my faith in this country... Like some long overdue arrests had been carried out... But I suppose that's still a couple months away.

gopher
+1
#26  Top Rated Post
www.hamiltonspectator.com/NAS...=1112101662670 (external - login to view)

July 1, 2006

Gay officers to wed
Darren Pittman, the Halifax Chronicle-Herald

Jason Tree, left, and David Connors say their marriage isn't about making a political statement.
RCMP constables say they're stunned by international media attention
By Alison Auld
The Canadian Press
HALIFAX (Jun 30, 2006)

A day before Canada marks its 139th birthday, a young couple will wed in a ceremony that is sure to cast one of the country's most iconic symbols in a whole new light.

Dressed in their distinctive scarlet coats, RCMP constables Jason Tree and David Connors will exchange vows before a justice of the peace and a troop of other Mounties in their fabled red serge.

Reaction to the wedding -- the first between two male RCMP officers -- has befuddled the couple, who have been overwhelmed by interview requests and congratulations from well-wishers they've never met.

"We don't see our wedding as anything different or special," Tree, 27, said in an interview from his detachment in Meteghan on Nova Scotia's southwest coast.

"Our goal was to get married, not have an international media story.

"I fail to see the big deal."

Tree,an RCMP officer for six years, said he's received about 60 letters from strangers congratulating him on the big event and praising the couple for publicly proclaiming their love and doing so in uniform.

They will recite their vows before about 100 family members and friends in a hall in Yarmouth, a town of 8,000 best known for its lobster industry.

Tree said he and Connors, who works in nearby Yarmouth, never intended to make a political statement. "I don't think there's any difference between us and anyone else who wants to get married," said Tree, who met Connors more than eight years ago at the University of New Brunswick in Fredericton.

"I'm interested in getting married with David and I guess I'm not interested in engaging in a political debate or anything like that."

Tree said the RCMP have been supportive of his relationship since he joined the force.

Sgt. Frank Skidmore said the organization is trying to reflect a broader spectrum of the Canadian community.

"People look at Canadian icons with their own eyes and if it changes it for them, then so be it," he said. "But it certainly doesn't change anything for us."

Jersay
Quote: Originally Posted by Mogz

This is still an issue in the 21st Century? Where does society get off trying to tell two people that they cannot be together, especially based on something as trivial as skin colour, religion, or sexual persuasion?

Sadly it is still there Mogz.

Jersay
Quote: Originally Posted by athabaska

Quote: Originally Posted by JersaySo too athabaska that means no. Thank you for going around the long way. No. It means that life isn't simplistic and there is more to the human condition than your own experience. A kneejerk 'yes' may be politically correct but there is a real world that can't always be divided into 'yes and no' or 'I'm an enlightened individual and you're not'.
The overwhelming majority of people in the world are not comfortable with everybody marrying anybody. Not because they are ignorant or not but because they understand that there are real consequences. Do they want their daughter beaten and ostracized? Grandchildren shuuned and disowned? Children not able to rise above a station in life? If your daughter is a Muslim and she marries a Jew, do you think she will be welcomed by her grandparents when she visits the small village in Bangladesh?
The irony of your comments is that you claim to be 'open' but your perspective is from a narrow slit devoid of other experiences. You 'assume' a liberal western culture in which everyone is 'just like us'. There was a famous book called 'Black like me' and one of the themes was that white liberals are open as long as being open means that everyone can...

Quote has been trimmed
Interesting thought you got there. I am going to check up on the book.

mimiki
yes why not, especially inter racial. I heared somewhere that kids born with parents from different or even contrasting racial backgrounds tend to be brighter then others, and honestly i think its true!

humanbeing
I do not support inter-marriage or homosexual marriage.

But I do not support heterosexual marriages either.

I don't like the idea of a social contract for that sort of thing, especially one where they get any benefits over the rest of society.

Love doesn't require a social contract, and is not as inflexible as one either.

Anyhow, it's wonderful when people from different (or similar) religion, race, ethnicity, nationality, language, or whatever get together and have a loving relationship.