Tylenol Toxicity Terror

darkbeaver
Weekend Edition
June 10 / 11, 2006
Pot Shots
Tylenol Toxicity Terror

By FRED GARDNER

The "therapeutic ratio" of a drug compares the amount required to produce harmful effects with the amount required to provide benefit. The therapeutic ratio of acetaminophen, the active ingredient in Tylenol, is about 2:1 -and even lower if your liver has been compromised by hepatitis or alcohol. An Extra-Strength Tylenol contains 500 milligrams of acetaminophen. The recommended daily maximum is eight pills -4,000 mg, or four grams. A person taking twice that much can incur severe liver damage -and people in pain sometimes lose perspective and gulp a handful. "Seven to eight grams a day for three or four days can be fatal," according to William M. Lee, MD, of the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center.

The active ingredient in Tylenol, acetaminophen, had been known to have anti-fever and anti-pain effects since the end of the 19th century, but no drug company saw fit to manufacture it until McNeil Consumer Healthcare began marketing Tylenol Elixir for Children in 1955 as a safer alternative to aspirin.

Johnson & Johnson acquired McNeil in 1959. In the 1960s J&J pushed Tylenol forcefully after aspirin was associated by an Australian pediatrician named Reye (pronounced "Rye") with a very rare, potentially fatal condition involving the liver and ultimately the brain of infants and children who, Reye found, had been treated with aspirin in response to upper respiratory infections.

www.counterpunch.org/gardener06102006.html (external - login to view)

darkbeaver
Quess who's been droping handfulls of tylenol arthritis caps? This is an interesting article, it highlights the power of big pharma and the real drug problem.

#juan
Our children were born in the late sixties,

and we relied on aspirin for fever and pain when requied. I don't generally use tylenol for myself, because I don't find it effective.

Our grandchildren used, and are using tylenol because of the Reye's Syndrome scare. I've never known anyone who had Reye's syndrome in sixty odd years. Aspirin is still my wonderdrug of choice.

darkbeaver
My problem is the ammount I have to swallow to kill the pain.

fuzzylogix
Tylenol used to be given in large doses to kids with the idea that they couldn't really be harmed by it. Now it is clear that as Beaver notes, the therapeutic/toxic ratio is very low and so it is very important that parents dose their kids carefully.

Of course, aspirin does a number on your stomach lining in large doses and decreases your clotting ability so you cant just take large doses of it either.

Beaver what you need for your arthritis is a hot tub with a Swedish masseuse helping sooth the pain.... the dosing of this method is not too dangerous--- unless you have a weak heart....

Colpy
My brother works for the organ transplant people in Toronto.

He goes looking for livers for people who have destroyed theirs with tylenol regularly. He can't understand why it is not a perscription drug. He has been on about this for YEARS!

Even a little alcohol combined with acetominiphen can be a disaster for your liver.

Myself, I use Ibuprofen . Much more effective, much safer.

My poor wife, who suffers from the normal middle age pains plus, is allergic to Ibuprofen, and aspirin in whatever form kills her stomach. Tylenol is her drug of choice.

darkbeaver
Fuzzy, I'm working on the hot tub masseuse angle in my heaven thread. When I'm hurting a long soak in the hot water is magnificent and I went through the aspirin stomach ulcer thing a few years ago. Grass is the magic potion for me but a little scrape with the law a few years ago has made that remedy risky and expensive for me. When I find a good strain it kills the pain dead for days with just a relativly tiny bit. I have been pounding the tylenol into me for about three months, if the bloody weather don't change soon I'll go insane, summer is heaven for me, it hasn't really started in Nova Scotia yet.
I have a strong heart Fuzzy I think I'd be o/k, and if not well it's a nice way to enter my eternal keep.

darkbeaver
Quote: Originally Posted by Colpy

My brother works for the organ transplant people in Toronto.

He goes looking for livers for people who have destroyed theirs with tylenol regularly. He can't understand why it is not a perscription drug. He has been on about this for YEARS!

Even a little alcohol combined with acetominiphen can be a disaster for your liver.

Myself, I use Ibuprofen . Much more effective, much safer.

My poor wife, who suffers from the normal middle age pains plus, is allergic to Ibuprofen, and aspirin in whatever form kills her stomach. Tylenol is her drug of choice.

Gyday Colpy, the link explains why tylenol is so free.

Colpy
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaver

Fuzzy, I'm working on the hot tub masseuse angle in my heaven thread. When I'm hurting a long soak in the hot water is magnificent and I went through the aspirin stomach ulcer thing a few years ago. Grass is the magic potion for me but a little scrape with the law a few years ago has made that remedy risky and expensive for me. When I find a good strain it kills the pain dead for days with just a relativly tiny bit. I have been pounding the tylenol into me for about three months, if the bloody weather don't change soon I'll go insane, summer is heaven for me, it hasn't really started in Nova Scotia yet.
I have a strong heart Fuzzy I think I'd be o/k, and if not well it's a nice way to enter my eternal keep.

Have you tried Ibuprofen? (advil, or available as a generic drug)

I think it is the best thing since sliced bread.....

jimmoyer
Does this arthritis web site have anything useful
for you Darkbeaver ?

www.arthritis.org/conditions/...er/default.asp (external - login to view)

darkbeaver
Quote: Originally Posted by Colpy

Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaver

Have you tried Ibuprofen? (advil, or available as a generic drug)

I think it is the best thing since sliced bread.....

The ibuprofen is bad for the tummy too, been there and it hurt.

darkbeaver
Quote: Originally Posted by jimmoyer

Does this arthritis web site have anything useful
for you Darkbeaver ?

www.arthritis.org/conditions/...er/default.asp (external - login to view)

nd

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Calcium Pyrophosphate Dihydrate Crystal Deposition Disease (CPPD) (Pseudo Gout)
That's my type of arthritis. The comercial links have the usual tips which are o/k but they usually try to sell one of the common drugs which I tried and had to get off more than ten years ago. Prolonged use of the stuff is really hard on the body and actually kills many people every year, about twenty-five thousand in Canada die each year because of arthritis drugs.

fuzzylogix
The reality is that the old weed is probably better and safer for you all round than the Tylenol. It should be a prescription drug for use like this.

And the weed will help that hot tub experience be even more memorable...